2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

1 hour ago, rico said:

I think Jonathan India would be a good fit for the Cubbies.

I need to brush up on the hot stove. With all the Ohtani stuff dominating the news, and Bellinger/Yamamoto to a much lesser extent, I honestly can't even remember who all is available or supposedly available via trades. I hope Cubs have something in the works. Rhys Hoskins, Glasnow, Alonso, and Chapman are the last names I remember hearing as possible signings/trades.

I hope they roll with Crow-Armstrong in center instead of overpaying for Bellinger. I like Bellinger, but some of the numbers being thrown around with him seem like way to much.

7 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I need to brush up on the hot stove. With all the Ohtani stuff dominating the news, and Bellinger/Yamamoto to a much lesser extent, I honestly can't even remember who all is available or supposedly available via trades. I hope Cubs have something in the works. Rhys Hoskins, Glasnow, Alonso, and Chapman are the last names I remember hearing as possible signings/trades.

I hope they roll with Crow-Armstrong in center instead of overpaying for Bellinger. I like Bellinger, but some of the numbers being thrown around with him seem like way to much.

Here you go:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This is beautiful stuff. Ohtani and Dodgers deferring $680M of the $700M until 2034. They can still go get players today and pay Ohtani later. For Ohtani if he doesn't live in California in 2034 he would save 13.4% on $680M. Not a bad move

Something is fishy... 

Be interesting to see if MLB let's this happen....

10 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Something is fishy... 

Be interesting to see if MLB let's this happen....

Just a pretty good use of the loophole that's in the CBA. Salary deferral has been around forever but nothing like this. My guess is Ohtani just didn't change the game because of his number but he and his team changed plenty of future contract negotiations.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a pretty good use of the loophole that's in the CBA. Salary deferral has been around forever but nothing like this. My guess is Ohtani just didn't change the game because of his number but he and his team changed plenty of future contract negotiations.

I heard where Ohtani wanted all of it deferred, but the CBA says you got to get paid something annually.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Quite genius actually.

Did some digging and what I came up with is this. The CBA requires they (Dodgers) fund present day value of contract within 2 years of the money he earns each year. 

But they can take the $ and invest however they see fit. Since interest rates are so high now they could essentially get themselves into investments that pay well in a falling interest rate economy (if and when that eventually happens)  i.e. bonds.

So rough numbers. They park $44M in an account today. It pays 5% they are earning $2.2M each year on the money over life of contract compounded. Not a major amount of change but using this loophole the team could save $30-$40M off the top number....besides having one of the best players in baseball on their payroll for 10 years.

This is very similar to what the Mets did back in the day with Bobby Bonilla with one catch. What they invested the $ in was a Ponzi scheme by our old buddy Bernie Madoff.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Son of a*itch!!!

Dodgers sign Yamamoto to a $325 million dollar, 12 year deal!!  

First it was Ohtani and his multi-million dollar deferred deal, then Tyler Glasnow, and now Yamamoto??

Yanks had been in on this kid for over a year, talk about a gut punch...

Nice to see the Yankees are no longer the Evil Empire.

See you guys later, I'm going to Yankee fan group therapy...

Edited by Proud2BAHoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Son of a*itch!!!

Dodgers sign Yamamoto to a $325 million dollar, 12 year deal!!  

First it was Ohtani and his multi-million dollar deferred deal, then Tyler Glasnow, and now Yamamoto??

Yanks had been in on this kid for over a year, talk about a gut punch...

Nice to see the Yankees are no longer the Evil Empire.

See you guys later, I'm going to Yankee fan group therapy...

Suck it up there Soto.

• Haha 1