2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Good Luck with that!!

He was damaged goods when Cashman traded for him. He pitched a whopping 1 1/3 innings and over 6 era.

Needless to say he was a big bust for the Yankees....

Hopefully he can be like Sonny Gray who was good with Oakland but bomb in New York and then turned it around with the Reds.

On 12/30/2023 at 3:08 PM, IU Scott said:

Reds signed SP Frankie Montas to a 1 year 16 mil contract 

I don't know if I like the pick up but Cincy still has all their young guys.  And to me that is a plus at this point.

5 hours ago, rico said:

I don't know if I like the pick up but Cincy still has all their young guys.  And to me that is a plus at this point.

It's a 50/50 shot in the dark.  Get 10-12 wins and 150-170 innings from him and it's a huge boost to their postseason hopes.  If he gets hurt or pitches like Luke Weaver for the first half, it doesn't tank the season since there are other options available.   

3 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Montas couldn't cut it with the Yanks. If the Yankees thought he could help, they would have considered making an offer to him as they, like a lot of other teams not named Dodgers, need pitching, just my 2 pennies....

As a baseball fan of 50 years I have witnessed quite a few guys that couldn't cut it with the Yankees.  A lot of them just can't handle the pressure cooker.  And then some revel in it.

3 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Montas couldn't cut it with the Yanks. If the Yankees thought he could help, they would have considered making an offer to him as they, like a lot of other teams not named Dodgers, need pitching, just my 2 pennies....

I read articles saying the Yankees were interested

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I read articles saying the Yankees were interested

Per MLBTR...

In other Yankees news, the team is reportedly considering bringing back Frankie Montas for another go in 2024, per Sherman and Jon Heyman of the New York Post. While his tenure with New York was marred by injury, Montas was an effective starting pitcher during his time in Oakland, pitching to a 3.50 ERA in 89 career starts for the Athletics. Montas could represent an intriguing buy-low candidate for the Yankees, especially since the team is already familiar with his stuff and medical status.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

Per MLBTR...

In other Yankees news, the team is reportedly considering bringing back Frankie Montas for another go in 2024, per Sherman and Jon Heyman of the New York Post. While his tenure with New York was marred by injury, Montas was an effective starting pitcher during his time in Oakland, pitching to a 3.50 ERA in 89 career starts for the Athletics. Montas could represent an intriguing buy-low candidate for the Yankees, especially since the team is already familiar with his stuff and medical status.

In that article, Montas admitted he was hurt when the trade was made, which the Yankees were not aware of. Plus the interest was half-hearted, just saying....

Per CBS:

2. Chicago Cubs

What they've done: Hired Craig Counsell

What they should do: Something? Anything? That's an oversimplification, but for real though, the Cubs shockingly hired Counsell a week into the offseason, and they've done nothing other than sign a few players to minor-league contracts since. They're the only team in baseball that has not traded for a major leaguer or signed a major-league free agent this offseason. Counsell is a great manager and an upgrade over the incumbent David Ross, but surely the front office knows it must improve the roster.

The good news is opportunities still exist. Cody Bellinger, who was so good for the Cubs last year, remains available and a reunion makes sense for both sides. Matt Chapman's market has been very quiet, and although his strikeouts can be frustrating, he offers power and top-shelf defense at third base. He'd make the Cubbies better. There are quality relievers sitting in free agency and the Cubs are in position to make noise in that market. They can offer money and opportunity.

I think that, ideally, the Cubs would re-sign Bellinger, swing a trade for Shane Bieber, and upgrade the bullpen with someone like Robert Stephenson or Hector Neris. Bieber is not the pitcher he was at his Cy Young peak, though the Cubs don't really need him to be that, and the one year of control figures to keep the cost down. There is no shortage of ways this Cubs roster can be improved.

Why they should do it: Chicago missed the postseason by one game in 2023 and, if not for a final week in which just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong, they would have been playing October baseball. There's a solid foundation in place -- Ian Happ, Justin Steele, Seiya Suzuki, Dansby Swanson -- but there are parts of the roster that need help. So, go improve them. A postseason spot is there for the taking and the NL Central is winnable.

• Like 2

Jed decided to finally take a break from his winter nap and make a move. Minor league players between Dodgers and Cubs but the key piece is Michael Busch who is Dodgers #2 overall prospect. Should start for the Cubs next year which might mean we are out on the Chapman stuff. His numbers last year in Triple A are .,323/.431/.618 with 27 dongs. Another Left Handed Bat too.