2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But the graph really doesn't bear that out. 1963 or so was when the lines cross. ESPN didn't start until 1979.

Like I said, "The Greatest Game Ever Played" (1958) kicked it off...middle  of the Packer dynasty? Advent of the pass happy AFL? Super Bowl era, particularly Super Bowl III (which in my mind rivals "The Greatest Game Ever Played" for relevance)? 

Coupled with the aforementioned "Year of the Pitcher" and the superstars like Aaron, Mays, Mantle and Clemente reaching the end of their careers maybe?

I am still blaming ESPN.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Here's where I'm at with this people. First. People who use the phrase he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room (Maddon) typically have a few character traits about themselves. Typically insecure, no real confidence, and generally intimidated by anyone they perceive as having more success or knowledge than themselves....so I see that comment sweeping twitter today and it makes my brain hurt.

Here's where I'm at with it. In week 1 of a long season I would never tell my reliever I don't have the faith in you to get this out vs Seager so I want to give up only 1 instead of 3+. I would never do that as a coach in week 1. OTOH....Maddon's job is to win today. Not tomorrow or next week. Win today. If he as the Manager thought that was the best course I can respect that too.

No way to confirm this because I heard on radio but this has been done 7x since 1900 and all 7 teams won who walked the guy intentionally with bases juiced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's where I'm at with this people. First. People who use the phrase he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room (Maddon) typically have a few character traits about themselves. Typically insecure, no real confidence, and generally intimidated by anyone they perceive as having more success or knowledge than themselves....so I see that comment sweeping twitter today and it makes my brain hurt.

Here's where I'm at with it. In week 1 of a long season I would never tell my reliever I don't have the faith in you to get this out vs Seager so I want to give up only 1 instead of 3+. I would never do that as a coach in week 1. OTOH....Maddon's job is to win today. Not tomorrow or next week. Win today. If he as the Manager thought that was the best course I can respect that too.

No way to confirm this because I heard on radio but this has been done 7x since 1900 and all 7 teams won who walked the guy intentionally with bases juiced.

So the metrics say managers should be doing it all the time?  I wonder if they will come up with a "cheat sheet" to tell them when to use the unusual maneuver?

• Like 1

I was listening to sports talk radio on the way home from work earlier this week.  Former Reds GM Jim Bowden was one of the hosts.  Brought up that when Ray Knight was manager of the Reds, Bowden told Knight not to let Barry Bonds beat them.  If someone else did, so be it.

As fate would have it, Bonds came up with the bases loaded.  Knight, taking Bowden's pregame message literally, walked Bonds to force in the run.  Bowden said he went up to Knight after the game and said "What the hell was that?  That's not what I meant."   He went on to say the two did not talk to each other for a week after.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

So the metrics say managers should be doing it all the time?  I wonder if they will come up with a "cheat sheet" to tell them when to use the unusual maneuver?

I would hope in this day in age every scenario should be in every manager, coach, players head at each moment....I can dream. Haha.

When we were in little league we would have a 15 minute portion of practice called situational. Nothing like last night but something like this. Up 5-1 in the 6th (7 inning games only) runner on 3rd with one out....grounder comes to you infield what are we doing? Sure out to avoid big inning better have been the reply. Not quite the best analogy but in the ballpark. Always avoiding a big inning is ok by me. 

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hunter Greene dealing through 3 innings against Dodgers tonight.  But, the Reds are so awful offensively, he has no chance to get the win.  The Reds won't score tonight.   

Watching that game...announcers were talking about Greene busting Freeman inside...

The way batters crowd the plate nowadays, he should live on the inside corner against all of them. He's got good stuff...

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Hunter Greene dealing through 3 innings against Dodgers tonight.  But, the Reds are so awful offensively, he has no chance to get the win.  The Reds won't score tonight.   

Was great for 5 innings but fell apart in the 6th. Reds down 4-0. Green is the only thing worth watching on the Reds.  Pham is now 0-22 and Aquino and Moose is terrible.

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

He's got as "live" as an arm as I've seen in awhile. I had to google the following just to make sure I was right.

.25 seconds to make a decision.....haha. Good luck. 

A 100-mph fastball reaches home plate in under 400 milliseconds. The swing itself takes about 150 milliseconds. That leaves less than a quarter of a second for a batter to spot the pitch and decide whether and where to swing.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

He's got as "live" as an arm as I've seen in awhile. I had to google the following just to make sure I was right.

A 100-mph fastball reaches home plate in under 400 milliseconds. The swing itself takes about 150 milliseconds. That leaves less than a quarter of a second for a batter to spot the pitch and decide whether and where to swing.

That's insane.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The one thing I will say about Greene...although he throws it 100 mph, his fastball is straight as a string...no movement...

I'd much rather face someone who threw hard than someone whose fastball had a lot of movement to it...you can eventually time the fast guys...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Trading Mahle and Castillo probably.  Wonder if Votto would waive his no trade clause to play for a contender.

I would imagine that Mahle and Castillo will be highly sought after.  As far as Joey, he better start swinging the bat a tad better or nobody will want him.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The one thing I will say about Greene...although he throws it 100 mph, his fastball is straight as a string...no movement...

I'd much rather face someone who threw hard than someone whose fastball had a lot of movement to it...you can eventually time the fast guys...

Someone compared him to Mario Soto on another site.  I don't know if that is because of his stuff or that he is a good flamethrower on a very bad team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rico said:

Someone compared him to Mario Soto on another site.  I don't know if that is because of his stuff or that he is a good flamethrower on a very bad team.

If I remember correctly, Soto had a devastating changeup to go along with a pretty good heater...

• Like 1