2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

54 minutes ago, rico said:

Hunter Greene makes opening day roster.  Scheduled to make his debut April 10th vs. the Braves.

Happy to see it, but frustrated the Reds have a Single A lineup the will contribute to unwarranted L's for guys like Greene and Lodolo.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Happy to see it, but frustrated the Reds have a Single A lineup the will contribute to unwarranted L's for guys like Greene and Lodolo.

What really pisses me off is Shogo.  How in the hell can the Reds' FO justify his signing and contract?  I realize that Cincy is inclined to play moneyball but geez.

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A good read about the history of pitcher's hitting in MLB.  something we will never experience again.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33621715/a-little-less-magic-mlb-lose-forever-pitchers-stop-hitting

Good article. I was surprised it didn't cover Micky Lolich hitting his only home run in a 16 year career (although to be fair, 6 of those years the AL had the DH) in the World Series.

Mick also had 2 career triples...and if you ever saw a picture of Lolich, those probably would have been fun to see 😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

God, I really dislike the Dodgers.

MLB needs to seriously look at competitive imbalance.   But, when you got teams like the Reds that have a little something in place, but torch it before giving it a chance to mature, it's hard to defend.  

Maybe some sort of management clause where if you can't make the moves to help the team achieve a winning record in 5 years, you're forced to sell.  

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

MLB needs to seriously look at competitive imbalance.   But, when you got teams like the Reds that have a little something in place, but torch it before giving it a chance to mature, it's hard to defend.  

Maybe some sort of management clause where if you can't make the moves to help the team achieve a winning record in 5 years, you're forced to sell.  

They need to do something.  I wish Cuban would buy the Reds.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rico said:

They will always be The Tribe to me.

I use to subscribe to a baseball magazine when I was a kid that broke down everything on every team on a monthly basis. I can't for the life of me think of the name of it. It was about the size of a TV Guide (Edit: It was "Baseball Digest"). But I bring it up because at the end of each team's numbers section, they had a paragraph or so of team news with a befitting name. The Cubs was The "Cub Den" (how creative!)...But the Indians was "Smoke Signals." Always loved that...

I don't remember what the Reds blurb was called..."The Kremlin" maybe ? 😉

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I use to subscribe to a baseball magazine when I was a kid that broke down everything on every team on a monthly basis. I can't for the life of me think of the name of it. It was about the size of a TV Guide (Edit: It was "Baseball Digest"). But I bring it up because at the end of each team's numbers section, they had a paragraph or so of team news with a befitting name. The Cubs was The "Cub Den" (how creative!)...But the Indians was "Smoke Signals." Always loved that...

I got Baseball Digest as well.  But, the Holy Grail of publications back in the 70's and 80's was The Sporting News.  Every week, when it came in the mail, I could stay absorbed in those for an entire day during the summer.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

https://baseballdigest.com/

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I got Baseball Digest as well.  But, the Holy Grail of publications back in the 70's and 80's was The Sporting News.  Every week, when it came in the mail, I could stay absorbed in those for an entire day during the summer.   

Me and Dad would fight over The Sporting News when it arrived.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

1 hour ago, rico said:

Me and Dad would fight over The Sporting News when it arrived.

Took Sporting News too, but, like @rico, by the time I wrestled it away from the old man, everybody in it had retired... 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, rico said:

Former Red, Billy Hamilton, up, up, and away.

Great catch, but contrary to what the announcers said, he did not bring back a home run.  The trajectory of that ball was not going to take it over the fence.  Announcers do this kind of thing a lot when someone makes a leaping catch at the wall.  

Was talking to my son about this earlier this week.  Back in the late 70's through the mid-80's, someone could give me the name of a player and I could immediately tell you what team he played for, at what position, and generally knew a few things about his performance.  I got that way from absorbing publications such as Baseball Digest and The Sporting News.  Player movement was not as significant, which made it easier to keep up with things.

Now, there are guys making all-star teams in the American League that I've never heard of.  Outside of the Reds, I don't think I could name more than 60% of any team's roster.   I know this sounds nostalgic, but I miss those days when the Sunday newspaper provided a complete list of players in each league by batting average.  Baseball was more enjoyable when it was simpler.    Today, 90% of the statistics we hear about might as well be in a foreign language.   

And, yes, before someone else suggests it.........GET OFF MY LAWN!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Was talking to my son about this earlier this week.  Back in the late 70's through the mid-80's, someone could give me the name of a player and I could immediately tell you what team he played for, at what position, and generally knew a few things about his performance.  I got that way from absorbing publications such as Baseball Digest and The Sporting News.  Player movement was not as significant, which made it easier to keep up with things.

Now, there are guys making all-star teams in the American League that I've never heard of.  Outside of the Reds, I don't think I could name more than 60% of any team's roster.   I know this sounds nostalgic, but I miss those days when the Sunday newspaper provided a complete list of players in each league by batting average.  Baseball was more enjoyable when it was simpler.    Today, 90% of the statistics we hear about might as well be in a foreign language.   

I was the same way and feel the same way now...

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Totally agree with everything you said. I miss Saturday and watching This Week In Baseball and then the game of the week on NBC.

• Like 1