2024 F Liam McNeeley Decommits from Indiana

48 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Don’t see if he’s down to two schools why it would take that long….let’s get this over with!

I agree...but these days with the investment that these high end players have already made, it's really more of a business decision for the kid's future.  Didn't used to be like this as old guys like me remember.  But with $$$ being HIGHLY involved...ain't nobody making snap decisions for the most part.

• Like 1

I know everyone’s getting anxious and paranoid, I feel it too. But if you snag Liam/Queen/Boogie that’s a likely top 5 class (top 10 minimum) after all is said and done. Not to mention, if we are giving credit where credit is due, Woody has shown a proven ability to get talent from the portal (ex- Ware, MM, Reneau, Kopp).

A projected starting lineup of Queen, Reneau, McNeeley, and Fland is already better than most programs. Hopefully Gunn or Newton is ready to go but if not, the staff just needs to add (1) starting shooting guard from the portal. And who knows, maybe they push for a 2025 reclass with guys like Haralson or Thomas. 

In sum, there’s still time!

ED5E1625-3A62-4CC2-92C7-2C301DD77C42.png

FE8BFB27-386F-4FA4-BA48-8FDC12A3BFE2.png

0B36DA60-79D0-42B5-AB18-1E9186DE9EE8.png

03D9E658-68C0-480A-8334-E7EE5C2667CC.png

@dgambill, since you're confused, let's hear it. 

I'm not saying this kid is Larry Bird and I think I made that abundantly clear, but when I hear scouting reports that say a non-guard is a smooth shooter with a great stroke from distance, excellent passer, crafty and while not a real natural defender, is pretty good at positioning himself on defense, I don't think it's unfair to get a bit of a Larry Bird vibe.  Someone mentioned it sarcastically earlier and my first thought was, yeah, that's who the kid sounds like.  

For the third time, and it pisses me off that I feel a need to do this but I know someone will overreact and put words in my mouth, I'm not saying the kid will be Larry Bird.  What I AM saying is that when Larry Bird was in high school, no one thought he'd be Larry Bird either.  Fair enough?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm not saying this kid is Larry Bird and I think I made that abundantly clear, but when I hear scouting reports that say a non-guard is a smooth shooter with a great stroke from distance, excellent passer, crafty and while not a real natural defender, is pretty good at positioning himself on defense, I don't think it's unfair to get a bit of a Larry Bird vibe.  Someone mentioned it sarcastically earlier and my first thought was, yeah, that's who the kid sounds like.  

For the third time, and it pisses me off that I feel a need to do this but I know someone will overreact and put words in my mouth, I'm not saying the kid will be Larry Bird.  What I AM saying is that when Larry Bird was in high school, no one thought he'd be Larry Bird either.  Fair enough?

Hey man think what you like…my confusion of why you would want to even put him in the same comparison shouldn’t cause you any consternation. No one knows what this kid will turn into but throwing around references to Larry Bird is well…inviting some strange looks…and likely some disappointment down the road. Watching his tape I just don’t see Larry too much….but then again I don’t know what Larry looked like in high school. Reminds me more of a Kevin Huerter than anyone.

15 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

My gut tells me

we get McNeeley 

Fland goes to Uk

Givens goes south 

Queen goes Maryland 

Seems most logical…and I think we will be fortunate to land McNeely. People thinking we are just going to draw an inside straight…well I hope they are too disappointed. Getting one of the top recruits was always going to be a long shot…landing multiple pretty unrealistic.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Before anyone hyperventilates and accuses me of saying he's the second coming, I'm not...not even close at this stage in the game.

...But does this kid remind you a little bit of a scouting report for a young Larry Bird?

Trent Sisley is Bird. McNeeley is the taller Skiles just so everyone is on the same page. Haha.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Seems most logical…and I think we will be fortunate to land McNeely. People thinking we are just going to draw an inside straight…well I hope they are too disappointed. Getting one of the top recruits was always going to be a long shot…landing multiple pretty unrealistic.

Given our recruiting in the last 24 months how is landing top recruits a long shot? Just curious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Given our recruiting in the last 24 months how is landing top recruits a long shot? Just curious. 

It’s always a long shot to land 5* recruit. You are going to miss way more than you land…that goes for all the college teams…to think we are going to land a clean sweep would be pretty unprecedented….I’d love it but I’d say getting just one is a pretty good haul. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Hey man think what you like…my confusion of why you would want to even put him in the same comparison shouldn’t cause you any consternation. No one knows what this kid will turn into but throwing around references to Larry Bird is well…inviting some strange looks…and likely some disappointment down the road. Watching his tape I just don’t see Larry too much….but then again I don’t know what Larry looked like in high school. Reminds me more of a Kevin Huerter than anyone.

OK.

Any player becoming a Bird or Magic Johnson is a long shot.  I'm reading the scouting reports and seeing a description that reminds me of Bird. Unlikely result simply because players like that are rare indeed. No one in this conversation is going to be disappointed if a high school prospect doesn't end up being an NBA hall of fame player.  I'm just kind of tired of the unwritten rule that long-shot comparisons are off limits.

If you know Bird's story well, you know he didn't project either.  With that, I'll let it go.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

OK.

Any player becoming a Bird or Magic Johnson is a long shot.  I'm reading the scouting reports and seeing a description that reminds me of Bird. Unlikely result simply because players like that are rare indeed. No one in this conversation is going to be disappointed if a high school prospect doesn't end up being an NBA hall of fame player.  I'm just kind of tired of the unwritten rule that long-shot comparisons are off limits.

If you know Bird's story well, you know he didn't project either.  With that, I'll let it go.

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

On 9/22/2023 at 7:18 PM, FKIM01 said:

You’re fine. I swear it’s in people’s DNA today. We can’t engage in what the actual statement is or was, we must characterize the person’s position into something that makes us feel so “right” and them “so wrong.”

I understood your point. It’s potentially valid but I wasn’t old enough to read what Bird’s descriptions were coming out of HS exactly. Anything I know of him is tainted by what I know he became. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by BADGERVOL
  • Like 1