Jamar Johnson

OGIUAndy

20 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm loving our recruiting this year.  According to his 247 composite rating, he is our 15th ranked recruit.  Last year he would have been ranked 5th in our class.  We're building great depth in this class.

Great point.  This class should add athleticism and depth, especially on D.   If we can build on this class over the next year or two, and get momentum from there, watch out.  

I think we are going to have a fast defense that can get turnovers and hopefully result in an improved pass rush.  We have hit the edge position, and been picking up speed at husky, S and LB, not to mention some good corners. Last year, we got some big, stout defensive tackles.  I like strength at tackle and blinding speed everywhere else, and I think that’s exactly where this is headed.  

I’d like to do a little better in Indy.  We’ve got too many guys headed to places like Iowa. With Allen’s Ben Davis and state connections, I hope that situation improves.  But, I do agree with, and am impressed by, our focus and success in Florida, where again Allen has connections.  

If you look at overall talent, across all position groups, this is nothing like we had between Mallory’s heyday and Wilson.  I’m confident Hoeppner would have done the same.

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great point.  This class should add athleticism and depth, especially on D.   If we can build on this class over the next year or two, and get momentum from there, watch out.  

I think we are going to have a fast defense that can get turnovers and hopefully result in an improved pass rush.  We have hit the edge position, and been picking up speed at husky, S and LB, not to mention some good corners. Last year, we got some big, stout defensive tackles.  I like strength at tackle and blinding speed everywhere else, and I think that’s exactly where this is headed.  

I’d like to do a little better in Indy.  We’ve got too many guys headed to places like Iowa. With Allen’s Ben Davis and state connections, I hope that situation improves.  But, I do agree with, and am impressed by, our focus and success in Florida, where again Allen has connections.  

If you look at overall talent, across all position groups, this is nothing like we had between Mallory’s heyday and Wilson.  I’m confident Hoeppner would have done the same.

It seems like almost across they board they have really good potential.  A lot of years past, we would have a handful of recruits that didn't have much potential to turn into anything other than a backup.  We have a handful this year that have the size and athleticism that they could be developed into studs.

I think the potential shows in their rankings too.  We've had a handful that moved up in the final 247 rankings.  That says a lot to me.  A lot of times I feel like our guys get overlooked after they commit to IU.  A handful of them going up shows they've been really impressive.

This class built a lot of quality depth on D, and we got some studs on offense.  Walker, Penix, and Taylor are our highest rated recruits, so I feel good that next year when we have more focus on recruiting offense we'll be able to bring in some really good offensive players.

Archived