2024 G Travis Perry Commits to Kentucky

Indykev

1 hour ago, kycarter88 said:

or maybe it was the fact that he didn't insert a different wrinkle into the lineup that would have avoided crapping the bed at the biggest moments in the last 10-15 games of the year.  kids are going to make mistakes, but it was a pattern that a blind man could see.  you can't be THAT wrapped up in painter's coaching ability to see this was a mistake right?

Different Wrinkle?

You mean make wide open shots 

you really think Purdue had so much talent they should roll through the Big Ten undefeated?

purdue choked in the FDU game 

they looked scared…..nobody wanted to shoot besides the freshman guards 

• Like 1

hey man, I get on these boards to relax and shoot the s***.  I'm not looking to get into heated debates on what are, to me, pretty surface level happenings in the grand scheme of things. I made a point that I think Mike Woodson either wouldn't recruit 2 smaller, less-athletic guards to play together like Painter did, or he would somehow stagger their minutes to make it work if he thought it made IU a better ball club to have them both.  Either way, it's all good. 

4 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

No they really can’t. Cupps is a little quicker. I don’t see Perry being a fit. If woody wants positionless basketball then neither one is that type. Looked to me like the trend is 6’3- 6’9” athletes who can defend at least 3 spots. Those teams could play multiple ways. 

If Newton is healthy he will be better than either of them 

Get as many long-athletic wings as you can…Banks, Gunn….

Perry is a good 4 year player like Cupps or Smith/Loyer.  You could do a lot worse 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Different Wrinkle?

Much larger problem than throwing a different wrinkle. Purdue just didn't have the personnel to deviate from any kind of scripted pre-game plan. Purdue simply lacked the playmakers on the perimeter to manufacture points when outside shots weren't falling. 

44 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Different Wrinkle?

you really think Purdue had so much talent they should roll through the Big Ten undefeated?

purdue choked in the FDU game 

they looked scared…..nobody wanted to shoot besides the freshman guards 

The issue against FDU wasn’t their guards…they didn’t get exposed…it was the rest of the team. Sure the guards didn’t hit shots but the moment wasn’t too big for them. When it got tight it was the front court that crapped the bed…and imo Painter also was at fault because he didn’t find the right balance nor find a way to use the national player of the year….but that wasn’t the backcourt that got exposed. Against IU…yes…but not how the season ended. I don’t think a small backcourt overall is a good thing but if you have a big front court to protect the paint and cover the more athletic wings you can get by with a lot more. I think we could stagger Cupps and Perry…in the end the best players make it to the floor. Add them both and let Woody get paid to figure it out. We need shooters too.

43 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Much larger problem than throwing a different wrinkle. Purdue just didn't have the personnel to deviate from any kind of scripted pre-game plan. Purdue simply lacked the playmakers on the perimeter to manufacture points when outside shots weren't falling. 

They had a 7’4 national player of the year…there was no reason to manufacture points or rely on the outside shooting against FDU. That was imo Painters loss. They should have played even bigger with Edey and Furst both and just pounded it inside…agree I didn’t see them winning a championship without that one other piece but they were by far the best team in the B1G despite their weaknesses.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sure the guards didn’t hit shots but the moment wasn’t too big for them.

Purdue's starting back court that game (Newman, Loyer, Smith) went 7-24 from the field, 4-15 from 3 with 12 TO's. Throw in Morton and Jenkins off the bench who played 17 and 26 minutes respectively and collectively scored zero points, yeah their back court sucked.

Smith was overwhelmed with pressure from the opening tip and struggled to get the offense into any kind of rhythm. I believe he had 7 TO's alone. 

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They had a 7’4 national player of the year…there was no reason to manufacture points or rely on the outside shooting against FDU. That was imo Painters loss. They should have played even bigger with Edey and Furst both and just pounded it inside…agree I didn’t see them winning a championship without that one other piece but they were by far the best team in the B1G despite their weaknesses.

How much should a coach have to do for the alleged "far best team in the B1G" to win a tourney game against a 16 seed? That's a big time contradiction. Purdue was not the best team in the B1G by a lot, they had a great schedule for them, was the reality... Painter developed and pieced that team together, that's coaching.. he didn't error during the FD game, that should have been elementary. 

The bottom line.. you shoot 5-26 from 3.. you go home.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How much should a coach have to do for the alleged "far best team in the B1G" to win a tourney game against a 16 seed? That's a big time contradiction. Purdue was not the best team in the B1G by a lot, they had a great schedule for them, was the reality... Painter developed and pieced that team together, that's coaching.. he didn't error during the FD game, that should have been elementary. 

The bottom line.. you shoot 5-26 from 3.. you go home.  

I’m not going to argue. If the fact you the national player of the year who only got 11 shot attempts (which I think was a season low) and he is 7’4 and playing against guys a foot shorter than yes..that is a coaching issue. Yes they played poorly but this wasn’t a roster construction issue..it was game plan issue and the inability to make in game adjustments….but I don’t want to argue about Purdue…I think you can have smaller guards…you just don’t want to play them together tons of minutes against mostly bigger/more physical opponents. I trust Woody to figure it out.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m not going to argue. If the fact you the national player of the year who only got 11 shot attempts (which I think was a season low) and he is 7’4 and playing against guys a foot shorter than yes..that is a coaching issue. Yes they played poorly but this wasn’t a roster construction issue..it was game plan issue and the inability to make in game adjustments….but I don’t want to argue about Purdue…I think you can have smaller guards…you just don’t want to play them together tons of minutes against mostly bigger/more physical opponents. I trust Woody to figure it out.

I wasn't commenting about the "whole" argument. I don't personally think we'd take a commitment from Perry right now, again, thats an opinion. 

I still don't understand how if they're far and away the best team in a Top 3 conference they needed their coach to walk them through how to win that game. Braden Smith was absolutely horrendous in that game and Loyer chocked down the stretch. Throw all that in with their other TOs, Gillis being a no show, and 5-26 from 3... you lose! It's not coaching!

Purdue was always about execution. They executed at a higher level for 80% of the season than the rest of the teams. Execution is mostly on the players... especially in this game. Hit shots lol

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He got 11 shot attempts because he was swarmed with double and triple teams every time he touched the ball. You know what calls off those double and triple teams? Guards making baskets. FDU invited Purdue to shoot uncontested 3's from the perimeter. 

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

He got 11 shot attempts because he was swarmed with double and triple teams every time he touched the ball. You know what calls off those double and triple teams? Guards making baskets. FDU invited Purdue to shoot uncontested 3's from the perimeter. 

Not the thread to argue this so you have the last word. Let’s not act like Edey hadn’t been doubled all year by much much better and bigger defenders. They got away from what they did well all year. Imo that is a coaching error for not refocusing his team. They all played and excuted poorly…imo the coaching staff especially and I’m a Painter fan for what it’s worth.

8 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Much larger problem than throwing a different wrinkle. Purdue just didn't have the personnel to deviate from any kind of scripted pre-game plan. Purdue simply lacked the playmakers on the perimeter to manufacture points when outside shots weren't falling

I would think IU fans would love the motion offense ❤️

Edited by Purdue7

8 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

It would be interesting to know if IU or UK are still all in on Perry 

With portal more proven players are available every year 

if XJ has a big year you would think portal PG would line up to run IU offense 

IU is still recruiting Perry. They've watched him the last 2 weekends. 

• Thanks 2

What would the ratings be on a weekly portal/recruiting show?

Who says no?  The kids wouldn’t 

The coaches? 

Big board loaded with players 

CMW on private  🛩️ 

recruits in candy stripes 

CMW hangs up the cell and looks at Coach Ya……”Kentucky bag man got him…..turn the plane around”

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Would they accept a commitment from him today ? 

That’s the part of recruiting that most don’t understand or isn’t obvious 

The contingent offer or we have one guard scholarship….first come, first served 

Why would Perry go to UK and sit ?

At least at IU he can see a path to playing time 

26 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

That’s the part of recruiting that most don’t understand or isn’t obvious 

The contingent offer or we have one guard scholarship….first come, first served 

Why would Perry go to UK and sit ?

At least at IU he can see a path to playing time 

That's speculation and it happens over and over on this board (and probably others).

This isn't so much specifically about Perry/UK/IU, but there is a natural assumption that players will always take the path of least resistance, even if they're 5-star recruits.

Perry could very easily go to UK and get buried on the bench. But he also couldn't. He could find a rhythm, confidence and elevate his game simply because of the new environment and become a main contributor.

He could also very easily get buried on the bench at IU... nobody really knows.

The one thing I will retort (and I'm also making an assumption here, to be fair) is that as a competitor, players want to test themselves against the best.

• Like 2