USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

When coaches & bowl game fat cats get millions it’s hard to deny the players a share 

Now NIL is trickling down to HS & every university is whoring out on the street 

most of these schools are pro sports teams….most of the fans never graduated or attended 

Growing up in rural Indiana I knew huge IU fans that never went to college. They are bigger IU fans than a lot of people who attended IU

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Growing up in rural Indiana I knew huge IU fans that never went to college. They are bigger IU fans than a lot of people who attended IU

My dad was probably the biggest IU fan there was. Never even went to college (well traditional college). He worked in Bloomington for over 30 years. No doubt college sports fans don’t need to go to that school to identify with it. Lots love IU but because of scholarships or special degrees or whatever reason didn’t go to that school. Doesn’t make them less a fan or feel like the school doesn’t represent them as a Hoosier.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, IU Scott said:

My former boss was an Auburn grad. He called all of the seemingly millions of Alabama fans “Walmart Fans” because they bought all their merchandise from their instead of the bookstore!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My dad was probably the biggest IU fan there was. Never even went to college (well traditional college). He worked in Bloomington for over 30 years. No doubt college sports fans don’t need to go to that school to identify with it. Lots love IU but because of scholarships or special degrees or whatever reason didn’t go to that school. Doesn’t make them less a fan or feel like the school doesn’t represent them as a Hoosier.

This is why the "reversible jacket" joke coming from Purdue fans is so silly. Lots of sports fans out there who didn't go to college, or to one with a high major program. Those folks could choose to be fans of any school they want. They chose Notre Dame for football and Indiana for basketball. Because those were the most successful programs, and the biggest brands, when those fans were choosing their allegiance.

It's actually a remarkable self own. Every time they bring this up it's an admission that Purdue has no appeal among independent sports fans in the state. If Purdue had a better program in either basketball or football, maybe Purdue would be on those reversible jackets. But they're not.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Exactly.  I grew up a huge IU fan but when the time came I had to pick the best school for me, not the best team for me to go watch.  I have ended up doing some post grad work through IU though.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

This is why the "reversible jacket" joke coming from Purdue fans is so silly. Lots of sports fans out there who didn't go to college, or to one with a high major program. Those folks could choose to be fans of any school they want. They chose Notre Dame for football and Indiana for basketball. Because those were the most successful programs, and the biggest brands, when those fans were choosing their allegiance.

It's actually a remarkable self own. Every time they bring this up it's an admission that Purdue has no appeal among independent sports fans in the state. If Purdue had a better program in either basketball or football, maybe Purdue would be on those reversible jackets. But they're not.

I had no ill will to Purdue. I rooted for all Indiana state teams…just IU was always first by far but I had no problem rooting for ISU or ND etc. what you are saying holds truth. Most people without an affiliation (non-alumni) are going to naturally feel drawn to successful programs. See Cowboys and 49ers nationally…Yankees…Celtics/Lakers. It’s just the nature of sports fandom. IU/ND success lends itself to being more popular. But once an affiliation is made…they are fans…I don’t distinguish between alumni or non. I don’t care what the reason started you…you are on my side…we are in it together!

5 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Exactly.  I grew up a huge IU fan but when the time came I had to pick the best school for me, not the best team for me to go watch.  I have ended up doing some post grad work through IU though.  

I had full ride to go to USI. I literally got paid around 1200 a semester on top of school, board, and books to go there. I was only going to have half my tuition paid to go to IU…for a poor kid I had to make the smart choice for me. I could go anywhere because of my grades but $$ was always a factor. Leaving school with a degree and no debt…I don’t regret it.

Didn’t stop me from going to see my friends at IU and rooting for them…it was a business transaction. My heart is still and will always bleed cream and crimson.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

Just now, IU Scott said:

Just saying I take a guy being a fan of IU all of his life over a kid from New York that never heard of IU basketball before attending IU.

Hard to disagree 

this is why Duke v UNC isn’t the best rivalry….Duke is a safety school for some rich kid

On 8/24/2023 at 8:41 AM, Purdue7 said:

When coaches & bowl game fat cats get millions it’s hard to deny the players a share 

most of these schools are pro sports teams….most of the fans never graduated or attended 

Literally none of this is new, it's just more visible and expanded.  They've been pro teams for quite a while.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 11:41 AM, Purdue7 said:

Whores?  Where?  

• Haha 3

Hearing reports that Cal, Stanford, SMU are gaining traction to the ACC.

Oregon St. and Washington St. receive some sort of formal papers from the Mountain West and AAC.

Coming together just like I envisioned it back in 1985.  lol  When the men were men and the sheep ran scared

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

Hearing reports that Cal, Stanford, SMU are gaining traction to the ACC.

Oregon St. and Washington St. receive some sort of formal papers from the Mountain West and AAC.

Coming together just like I envisioned it back in 1985.  lol  When the men were men and the sheep ran scared

Cal and Stanford in the 'Atlantic' Coast Conference just might be the moment things jump the shark.

• Haha 2