IUBB 22/‘23

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The nerdy looking dude on the right brings up a good point...

Would Jalen's game have advanced to where it is at this point if XJ hadn't gone out? 

I for sure think not having XJ made JHS better. Just in the sense that JHS was thrown into the ringer and could not be bailed out by XJ. JHS had to play smart, not foul AND guard the opposing teams best guard. The experience and lessons learned from those instances were probably invaluable.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Elston calling out Geo is the energy I needed today. 

sidenote-- Elston was in my grade. Played in quite a few tournaments that he did. He played for the SYF Players.... lets just say he was the definition of "wanting that smoke" or "Ngaf" 🤣

Geo best toe the line. Elston crazy. 

Loved Elston, and love that he called out that little b*^ch. 

• Like 5

I’m not worried about it. I almost guarantee we end up a 4 seed with Kentucky the 5….just like when we won the B1G and was disrespected with a 4 seed and UK got the 5…in NC bracket. This year we’d probably be rhe 4 in Kansas bracket because they love to have those marquee matchups for prime time.

We only have one more game left in the regular season before tournament time starts.  What is everyone feeling about the regular season performance?

I think it is sometimes interesting to compare thoughts on that to after the conference/national tournaments.  The tournaments can change feelings on a regular season pretty quick.

I expect to beat Michigan Sunday and finish 12-8 and 21-10.  I would rate that mildly disappointing based on preseason expectations and factoring in the loss of Johnson for a significant portion of the year.  Maybe a C if doing letter grades.  That being said, we are about to enter the "extra credit" portion of the season, so could see that initial reaction move up a bit if the team gets hot again.

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Taking into consideration that we had our starting lineup available for only 6 games, and only Malik Reneau, Miller Kopp, and Tamar Bates have played in all 30 games, coupled with having one of the most difficult schedules in the Big 10, I'd be more prone to giving a B...

Fair enough, no wrong answers on this one.  It would be great if the tournament pushes my grade into A territory.  Sweet 16 and I am at B+ probably.

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Taking into consideration that we had our starting lineup available for only 6 games, and only Malik Reneau, Miller Kopp, and Tamar Bates have played in all 30 games, coupled with having one of the most difficult schedules in the Big 10, I'd be more prone to giving a B...

I think I'd land around this. If I knew XJ was going to essentially miss the entire conference season at the start of the year, plus the injuries to JHS, TJD, and Race, I would have had lower expectations to start the year. Looking at it by player:

Exceeded Expectations: TJD, JHS, Galloway, and Kopp - especially the first 3. Kopp has also been much better this year, though there are still just some bad matchups for him.

Met Expectations: Non-JHS Freshmen - Malik has been up and down like most freshman, but has shown some flashes of good play to build on. Never expected CJ and Kaleb to get much playing time, but they have shown good effort and some potential in the limited minutes they've got.

Did not meet expectations: Geronimo and Bates - Both have shown flashes of good play, but have been struggling for about a month now. Geronimo was playing well before his injury, so maybe that has something to do with it. Bates had some promising games early, but seems to have just hit a wall. Still think both have potential to improve over the offseason and be contributors next year.

Incomplete: Leal, Duncomb, Race, XJ - XJ has obviously missed most of the year, and it's tough to judge Race post injury. To me it looks like Race just isn't the same player now vs pre-injury. Leal and Duncomb basically never saw the floor, and are now injured. Neither was really projected to be in the rotation. It'd be huge if either could develop into a useable bench piece for next year.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I think I'd land around this. If I knew XJ was going to essentially miss the entire conference season at the start of the year, plus the injuries to JHS, TJD, and Race, I would have had lower expectations to start the year. Looking at it by player:

Exceeded Expectations: TJD, JHS, Galloway, and Kopp - especially the first 3. Kopp has also been much better this year, though there are still just some bad matchups for him.

Met Expectations: Non-JHS Freshmen - Malik has been up and down like most freshman, but has shown some flashes of good play to build on. Never expected CJ and Kaleb to get much playing time, but they have shown good effort and some potential in the limited minutes they've got.

Did not meet expectations: Geronimo and Bates - Both have shown flashes of good play, but have been struggling for about a month now. Geronimo was playing well before his injury, so maybe that has something to do with it. Bates had some promising games early, but seems to have just hit a wall. Still think both have potential to improve over the offseason and be contributors next year.

Incomplete: Leal, Duncomb, Race, XJ - XJ has obviously missed most of the year, and it's tough to judge Race post injury. To me it looks like Race just isn't the same player now vs pre-injury. Leal and Duncomb basically never saw the floor, and are now injured. Neither was really projected to be in the rotation. It'd be huge if either could develop into a useable bench piece for next year.

I agree 90%.  Even before his injury Race wasn't playing his best ball and I was somewhat disappointed in his play up to that time.

Everything else mirrors my opinion.

53 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I agree 90%.  Even before his injury Race wasn't playing his best ball and I was somewhat disappointed in his play up to that time.

Everything else mirrors my opinion.

Yeah, Race definitely struggled to start the season. But I thought he was starting to play better after the Rutgers game. The 10 minutes he played at Iowa before he got hurt was probably the best all-around stretch he had played all year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We only have one more game left in the regular season before tournament time starts.  What is everyone feeling about the regular season performance?

I think it is sometimes interesting to compare thoughts on that to after the conference/national tournaments.  The tournaments can change feelings on a regular season pretty quick.

I expect to beat Michigan Sunday and finish 12-8 and 21-10.  I would rate that mildly disappointing based on preseason expectations and factoring in the loss of Johnson for a significant portion of the year.  Maybe a C if doing letter grades.  That being said, we are about to enter the "extra credit" portion of the season, so could see that initial reaction move up a bit if the team gets hot again.

I thought this team would compete for the conference title and be a sweet 16 team. I see people saying we won't be able to win 6 games in the tournament due to our inconsistency. My question is, who actually thought this was a championship caliber team.

As for this season if we win Sunday I am pretty happy with the season.  If we can get back up to a 3 seed I would think it would be a successful season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought this team would compete for the conference title and be a sweet 16 team. I see people saying we won't be able to win 6 games in the tournament due to our inconsistency. My question is, who actually thought this was a championship caliber team.

As for this season if we win Sunday I am pretty happy with the season.  If we can get back up to a 3 seed I would think it would be a successful season.

I don't think anyone thought we were a for sure Championship or Final Four team, but I think there was a feeling that if everything went right over the off-season (players developed that we expected to develop and that we got production from a few of the freshmen) that we would be a team that could make it.

We still could.  Just depends on whether Jekyll or Hyde shows up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't think anyone thought we were a for sure Championship or Final Four team, but I think there was a feeling that if everything went right over the off-season (players developed that we expected to develop and that we got production from a few of the freshmen) that we would be a team that could make it.

We still could.  Just depends on whether Jekyll or Hyde shows up.

I still think the up and down has a lot to do with the injuries. Right now we will have trouble having a complete practice with only 9 scholarship players. XJ missed most of the season TJD missed 3 games and went about a month without practicing. JHS missed 3 games and Geronimo and Duncomb missed a lot as well.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I still think the up and down has a lot to do with the injuries. Right now we will have trouble having a complete practice with only 9 scholarship players. XJ missed most of the season TJD missed 3 games and went about a month without practicing. JHS missed 3 games and Geronimo and Duncomb missed a lot as well.  

Oh 100% ... with XJ I think we are a 2 seed at worst.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

And you didn’t even mention Race’s injury.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To be fair... right now, they are going over scouting report, shooting, getting their lift in, and having a walk through this time of year. But, undoubtedly it's effected our season. 

• Like 1