Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Resting perfectly healthy players is what I'm talking about...

Then why even have the conversation? I want them to win every game they play in. I want them to win a Big 10 Tourney Championship... If they lose, they lose... But saying it would be "better for them" I'm not buying... 

you served in the military, surely the idea of sacrificing the battle to win the war resonates with you…

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

So much of this can change though based on which teams end up tied at the end, trying to project forward is difficult.

And honestly regarding the double bye, of all the years to not care about the BTT, this is the year IMO. We are almost assuredly going to be on the 4 or 5 line for the tournament that matters it looks like and we need rest more than anything. 

if there was an option to just stay home from the BTT this year I would be in favor of that. 

To me if we lose Saturday but win both home games we will still have a good chance of a double bye.  We would be 12-8 and that would mean both Iowa and UM would at least have 8 losses. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Resting perfectly healthy players is what I'm talking about...

Then why even have the conversation? I want them to win every game they play in. I want them to win a Big 10 Tourney Championship... If they lose, they lose... But saying it would be "better for them" I'm not buying... 

I don't think he meant sitting players in the BTT but saying it might be better to lose early to have a couple of more days off before the tourney starts 

1 hour ago, IUskim said:

So we’re okay with either losing to a 13 seed or the 5/12 seed because at least we won the BTT?

No one said that...That  day or two we save isn't likely to dictate how we do in the in the NCAA Tournament

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

you served in the military, surely the idea of sacrificing the battle to win the war resonates with you…

It's not a zero sum game...No reasonable person would say our NCAA hopes hinge on how well we do or don't do in the BTT. If we're good enough we win...If we don't we lose...If our players or coaches think that way, then we really don't have much to worry about...we'll be going home early in both cases...

1 hour ago, IUskim said:

I mean me either but it seems like people are okay with losing the first weekend just because we won the BTT?

See above...

Can any of you name the Sweet Sixteen last year? Hmm? But I bet you know who won the BTT...And the year before,,,

Y'all are acting like if we WOULD win the BTT, it would somehow doom or NCAA hopes...And I don't buy that for a minute...

And I don't know why the BTT has lost its luster to you guys...Last year, we were all atwitter whn XJ said "we packed for 4 days." 

It's a damn shame that the most historically significant program in the Big 10 has never won its post season tourney...

The BTT is WAY more significant that Maui, or the Great Alaska Shootout...You were the best in your confefrence at the end of the year...

We wouldn't hang banners for Sweet Sixteens...that's Illinois and Purdue stuff...But I'd bet dollars to donuts we'd hang a Big 10 Tourney Championship Banner...

if, as @FKIM01 says, we're not "mentally tough enough" to win the BTT and do well in the NCAAs, then I don't think our chances are good in either...

Just my opinion...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No one said that...That  day or two we save isn't likely to dictate how we do in the in the NCAA Tournament

It's not a zero sum game...No reasonable person would say our NCAA hopes hinge on how well we do or don't do in the BTT. If we're good enough we win...If we don't we lose...If our players or coaches think that way, then we really don't have much to worry about...we'll be going home early in both cases...

See above...

Can any of you name the Sweet Sixteen last year? Hmm? But I bet you know who won the BTT...And the year before,,,

Y'all are acting like if we WOULD win the BTT, it would somehow doom or NCAA hopes...And I don't buy that for a minute...

And I don't know why the BTT has lost its luster to you guys...Last year, we were all atwitter whn XJ said "we packed for 4 days." 

It's a damn shame that the most historically significant program in the Big 10 has never won its post season tourney...

The BTT is WAY more significant that Maui, or the Great Alaska Shootout...You were the best in your confefrence at the end of the year...

We wouldn't hang banners for Sweet Sixteens...that's Illinois and Purdue stuff...But I'd bet dollars to donuts we'd hang a Big 10 Tourney Championship Banner...

if, as @FKIM01 says, we're not "mentally tough enough" to win the BTT and do well in the NCAAs, then I don't think our chances are good in either...

Just my opinion...

I might not tell you all 16 teams but I know I can get you a lot of them. Hell I can tell you who were in every championship game since the mid 70's

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I might not tell you all 16 teams but I know I can get you a lot of them. Hell I can tell you who were in every championship game since the mid 70's

I'd have a better chance of telling you which Sweet 16 teams didn't make it last year. Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio St, Michigan St, and of course us. And Kentucky who hasn't won a tourney game in what 3-4 years?

It's a tough to determine. Personally I remember greater failures in the tourney far more than who the conference tourney. Shoot Crean lost 50% of the base in 1 game to move to the E8.

I want to win each and every game we play but given the choices I'd rather advance to the 2nd week vs a BTT trophy. Just me though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd have a better chance of telling you which Sweet 16 teams didn't make it last year. Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio St, Michigan St, and of course us. And Kentucky who hasn't won a tourney game in what 3-4 years?

It's a tough to determine. Personally I remember greater failures in the tourney far more than who the conference tourney. Shoot Crean lost 50% of the base in 1 game to move to the E8.

I want to win each and every game we play but given the choices I'd rather advance to the 2nd week vs a BTT trophy. Just me though. 

I want to win every game including the BTT. I think playing on that Saturday and Sunday of the BTT is great exposure for the programm. The whole nation is watching it and the championship game goes right up to the Selection show.

Saying that, I can see how some rest my help with this team this year because they do look tired. I guess I don't understand how playing only a couple of games a week can wear you out but it appears this team is.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just my opinion...

I'll stand by that analysis away from Bloomington, but I think it's less of a problem at neutral venues.  Where IU really seems to wilt (minus about 3X this season) is a game on someone else's home court, which won't be the case in either the B10 tournament or the NCAA tournament.

At the same time, you could say that about just about every team in the field this season, which is why I'd say despite that deficiency of mental toughness, IU probably has as good a chance as most any team in the tournament this year.  No team has reminded me of the old IU teams that used to go to away games with the mindset of winning regardless of where the game was played.

Weak fields = opportunity and this year's crop of contenders is as weak as I remember.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I can too... Back to 1939 and Oregon... 

That and $4.50 will get me a double mocha latte at Starbucks... 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

See above...

Just my opinion...

Right, we all get that it isn't a zero sum game.

I'm curious why you think TJD looked off yesterday? I personally think it's because of the accumulation of minutes he's been playing hasn't mentally and physically worn him out. You just think he wasn't into the game yesterday or something?

No one wants us to lose or is rooting for us to lose, but it's perfectly rationale to look at our team in the situation we are in this season and say losing early and getting an extra couple days of rest isn't a bad outcome. They're human, they've played their butts off to get to this point, and they're tired. 

I don't know why you're trying to bring up the players mindsets, it's beyond silly and honestly it's just flat out wrong. The players may be very grateful for rest and it doesn't mean they don't have a winners mentality or even didn't want to win the games when they played them. Tom Brady chose to rest and lose a game to end the season this year, is he a loser?

And yeah, we'd hang a banner for the BTT. We'd also hang one for the NIT, but I don't really care if we ever win another NIT. Doesn't mean I won't root for us if we ever find ourselves there again. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm curious why you think TJD looked off yesterday? I personally think it's because of the accumulation of minutes he's been playing hasn't mentally and physically worn him out. You just think he wasn't into the game yesterday or something?

I think what you say is part of it... But I also think the environment and the weight of the moment didn't help. Trayce is a good kid, and I'm sure his empathy was heart felt... But it's not exactly the frame of mind conducive to winning basketball games... Pregame was a poignant moment for sure...

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

No one wants us to lose or is rooting for us to lose, but it's perfectly rationale to look at our team in the situation we are in this season and say losing early and getting an extra couple days of rest isn't a bad outcome. They're human, they've played their butts off to get to this point, and they're tired. 

And if our players and or coaches look at it that way, we'll have a short post season...

I understand what you're saying. If we lost early in the BTT it might... MIGHT... pay a dividend... But I don't look at things that way... If it's worth playing, it's worth winning...

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't know why you're trying to bring up the players mindsets, it's beyond silly and honestly it's just flat out wrong. The players may be very grateful for rest and it doesn't mean they don't have a winners mentality or even didn't want to win the games when they played them. Tom Brady chose to rest and lose a game to end the season this year, is he a loser?

Some famous guy said, "Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one." Don't remember his name...

And if there was ANYTHING on the line, Tom Brady wouldn't be sitting... You know that, and I know that... 

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And yeah, we'd hang a banner for the BTT. We'd also hang one for the NIT, but I don't really care if we ever win another NIT. Doesn't mean I won't root for us if we ever find ourselves there again. 

A Big 10 Tournament title isn't nearly as insignificant as you're portraying it... 

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Right, we all get that it isn't a zero sum game.

The coach also needs to limit practice time and make sure the players have plenty of time off of their feet. It would be nice to get some extra rest but I am not going to cut minutes from important games.

Don’t care at all about the B1G tournament unless we need it to improve our seeding. I care about the NCAAT. 

With the way TJD is looking gassed, I’d prefer not to have to stumble through the farce of the B1G tournament. Hell, we can’t even provide capable refs for our games. Let’s get that shit done and move onto more important games. 

• Like 2

Saw this posted on BTB can't believe how poor teams play on the road.

FWIW....Big Ten conference road records this year:

Purdue 6-3

Northwestern 5-2

Indiana 3-6

Maryland 1-7

Rutgers 3-5

Illinois 3-5

Michigan State 3-5

Iowa 2-6

Michigan 2-5

Penn State 2-6

Wisconsin 3-5

Nebraska 2-7

Ohio St 1-8

Minnesota 1-7

TOTAL: 37-77 (32%) 

I Guess the question is dies the crowd just make the home team play that much better or makes the road team worse.  I guess we will see how this correlates in the tournament on neutral courts.