Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

Northwestern definitely has it's work cut out for them their next 3 games!

This Sunday, 2/26/2023 -@ - Maryland College Park, MD 12:00 P.M.

3/1/2023- home - Penn State Evanston, Ill. 9:00 P.M.

3/5/2023 -@Rutgers Piscataway, N.J. 7:30 P.M.

Don't get wrong, our final three are going to be real tough, but if we can some how go 2-1 down the stretch, I wouldn't be surprised to see Northwestern end up 1-2, maybe 0-3. Remember, Xavier is going to fit into IU's game plan somewhere in these next 3 games. JMO

Edited by Artesian_86

I think it's more likely going to be a 4-way tie when all said and done. 

Assuming IU loses Saturday and wins out and the other 7 or 8 loss teams lose one more game (which appears to be more than likely given the remaining schedule).

Assuming Michigan State gets their makeup game with Minni figured out (which they are working hard to do because they know it will impact them negatively with tournament seeding if they don't)

IU, Maryland, MSU, and either Illinois or Michigan (they still play each other again) will finish at 12-8.

Based on the tiebreaker, if Illinois beats Michigan Maryland will be the 3 seed and IU the 4. If Michigan beats Illinois IU will be the 3 and either MSU or Maryland will be the 4

That's what I'm seeing at least

Edited by HoosierDPU95
  • Like 1

So this is based on the assumption we lose Saturday and win both next week. At 12-8 someone correct me here. We would have tiebreakers over Illinois and Michigan because of sweeps. However Northwestern holds it over us because of sweep and because Maryland played us and Illinois just once (both wins at home) they would eventually hold tiebreaker over us?

I know it's the combined record of teams who are tied but for us to get that 3 seed we need Northwestern to secure 2nd alone....and somehow have Maryland lose 2 of final 3 (home w/Northwestern, at Ohio St, at Penn St).

Is that how everyone is seeing things?

52 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Assuming IU loses Saturday and wins out and the other 7 or 8 loss teams lose one more game (which appears to be more than likely given the remaining schedule).

Assuming Michigan State gets their makeup game with Minni figured out (which they are working hard to do because they know it will impact them negatively with tournament seeding if they don't)

IU, Maryland, MSU, and either Illinois or Michigan (they still play each other again) will finish at 12-8.

Based on the tiebreaker, if Illinois beats Michigan Maryland will be the 3 seed and IU the 4. If Michigan beats Illinois IU will be the 3 and either MSU or Maryland will be the 4

We don't want NW to be included in any of these 3-way, 4-way ties though, correct? Since we have two HTH losses against them. 

About have to play Minny vs. MSU on 3/2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I think we're looking at it the same way. What we really need in order to get 3 seed and stay on bottom of bracket is Northwestern to do us all a solid and win Sunday at Maryland. 

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So this is based on the assumption we lose Saturday and win both next week. At 12-8 someone correct me here. We would have tiebreakers over Illinois and Michigan because of sweeps. However Northwestern holds it over us because of sweep and because Maryland played us and Illinois just once (both wins at home) they would eventually hold tiebreaker over us?

I know it's the combined record of teams who are tied but for us to get that 3 seed we need Northwestern to secure 2nd alone....and somehow have Maryland lose 2 of final 3 (home w/Northwestern, at Ohio St, at Penn St).

Is that how everyone is seeing things?

If Michigan beats Illinois and loses to us they are in the mix and that gives Maryland a 2-2 record against the group. In that scenario, we have a 3-2 (60%) record against the group in either scenario. If Illinois beats Michigan and then Maryland's record against the group would be 2-1 (66%). 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We don't want NW to be included in any of these 3-way, 4-way ties though, correct? Since we have two HTH losses against them. 

About have to play Minny vs. MSU on 3/2

We need NW to beat Maryland. For sure don't want them in the tied group.

Edited by HoosierDPU95
  • Like 2

Just now, HoosierDPU95 said:

I read this morning that they were talking with Rutgers and Nebraska to shuffle the Tuesday and Thursday games so MSU could play Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday to finish out the schedule.

I don't follow, but yes, Tues/TH/Sat would be the schedule if they played on 3/2. 

Talking with Rutgers and Nebraska about what? 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't follow, but yes, Tues/TH/Sat would be the schedule if they played on 3/2. 

Talking with Rutgers and Nebraska about what? 

Minni is schedule to play Rutger on 3/2 already. They would need to agree to move that game to Tuesday so Minni and MSU could play on Thursday. I don't think Nebraska needs to move if that happens though

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Consider this...

By March 5th we could be anywhere from tied for 1st to tied for 12th...

That's crazy... 

Crazy for sure. After the disappointment with XJ's injury and the "what could have beens" with the conference season, it's still nice to be fretting over what seed we'll be in the tournament instead of are we going to get it. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Crazy for sure. After the disappointment with XJ's injury and the "what could have beens" with the conference season, it's still nice to be fretting over what seed we'll be in the tournament instead of are we going to get it. 

But I guess that does beg the question (and I hate even asking it...)

If IU would lose out, and we're facing 3 pretty good teams, and lost in the first game of the BTT, ARE we a cinch for the NCAA? Is 19-13 and 10-10 good enough?

Edited by IUFLA

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

But I guess that does beg the question (and I hate even asking it...)

If IU would lose out, and we're facing 3 pretty good teams, and lost in the first game of the BTT, ARE we a cinch for the NCAA?

Let’s not fret over such things, let’s fret over things like who do we need to lose?

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Seriously though...it is a (remote) possibility...

I'm probably one of the more positive guys on this site, but you have to consider all scenarios...

For sure. I've considered it but every time I do I just tell myself "Archie is no longer here" and feel better about it being a much more remote scenario

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Ahhhhhh, I seem to recall the Boilers couldn't even win the NIT that year,  :coffee:

Refresh my memory.  Who did they lose to in the NIT?

Toughest game I've ever had to watch...

The team I'd rooted for as far back as I can remember, versus knowing a guy who I grew up with and admired quite a bit was going to take Purdue's last shot...

Sorry Jerry :) 

• Like 2