Miami of Ohio Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Sunday November 20th 5:30 pm EST 

Where: Gainbridge Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Indiana 

TV: BTN  

Short turn around for the MOO game (No, we're not playing Purdue 🙂). The Redhawks are 1-3 with losses to Evansville, Georgia, and Marshall. Their lone win came against Goshen College. 

Not very big. Their biggest starter is 6'8.

Led by Mekhi Lairy a 5'8 guard who scores 16 ppg. Anderson Mirambeaux, Julian Smith, and Morgan Safford all average double figures.Screenshot_20221119-072121.thumb.png.d6b13cf80e5e96036085c4ae5145c283.png

Don't want to overlook these guys, but it'll be hard not to, coming off an emotional, close road win against a tough Xavier squad. I look for some of our guys who didn't play so well to seek some redemption here... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When: Sunday November 20th 5:30 pm EST 

Where: Assembly Hall, Bloomington Indiana 

TV: BTN  

Short turn around for the MOO game (No, we're not playing Purdue 🙂). The Redhawks are 1-3 with losses to Evansville, Georgia, and Marshall. Their lone win came against Goshen College. 

Not very big. Their biggest starter is 6'8.

Led by Mekhi Lairy a 5'8 guard who scores 16 ppg. Anderson Duramax, Julian Smith, and Morgan Safford all average double figures.Screenshot_20221119-072121.thumb.png.d6b13cf80e5e96036085c4ae5145c283.png

Don't want to overlook these guys, but it'll be hard not to, coming off an emotional, close road win against a tough Xavier squad. I look for some of our guys who didn't play so well to seek some redemption here... 

Yeah, not really a scary game by the looks of the roster.  But I'm guessing Coach Woodson will be watching for any relaxing by the players.  And if/when he sees it...boom...out they come for a seat and a one-sided conversation.

• Like 2

If Lairy had more size, he would be at a bigger program.  Got to see him play a couple of times in high school and the kid is a baller.  I was significantly more impressed with Lairy than I ever was with Lander as a player coming out of the Evansville high school ranks.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I love that we don’t have a long wait until the next game. Also, this counts as a neutral site game right? Would be good to pick up another win away from home. 

Thanks, I thought it was at Assembly Hall... Changed it in the thread... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If Lairy had more size, he would be at a bigger program.  Got to see him play a couple of times in high school and the kid is a baller.  I was significantly more impressed with Lairy than I ever was with Lander as a player coming out of the Evansville high school ranks.  

Great post, 5. I was coming here to post something about Mekhi, as well. 

And to your last sentence. Unquestionably. We had Bosse beat when they were #1, Mekhi wasn't having it, he took the game over at the Hatchet House! 

Lairy is also Evansville all time leading scorer. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Glad for the quick turnaround.  I wonder what the crowd will be like in Indy. 

Based on our fan presence at Xavier, I would think the odds are more than "good". Friend of mine tried to buy tickets a few weeks ago and the only thing available (without spending your entire net worth) was balcony. So it's likely it will feel like a home crowd. (I hope)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

Based on our fan presence at Xavier, I would think the odds are more than "good". Friend of mine tried to buy tickets a few weeks ago and the only thing available (without spending your entire net worth) was balcony. So it's likely it will feel like a home crowd. (I hope)

Yeah, if we were taking up a lot of space at the home venue of a pretty fanatical fan base, that bodes well for how well we'll fill a neutral site

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DWB said:

I guess I should have been clearer. My bad. Obviously it will be an IU crowd. I was wondering more about a full house vs half full scenario. 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I guess I should have been clearer. My bad. Obviously it will be an IU crowd. I was wondering more about a full house vs half full scenario. 

No prob. Based on the IUHoosiers site, this game is part of the Hoosier Classic, a 4 team event. So it could be that seats are allocated 25% for each of the 4 teams but I don't know for sure.

3 hours ago, DWB said:

No prob. Based on the IUHoosiers site, this game is part of the Hoosier Classic, a 4 team event. So it could be that seats are allocated 25% for each of the 4 teams but I don't know for sure.

Update: After looking at the schedule, the 2 games after this for the Hoosier Classic are in AH. So for the Indy game, my guess is 50/50 on the seating. But since the Miami Redhawks colors are red, I suspect the whole place will be a sea of red.

I was reading some of the background on Travis Steele, current Miami coach.  I didn't know that he was the little brother of John Groce, former Illini and Ohio U. coach.

I did know that he was hired as the video coordinator at IU under Kelvin Sampson, and he was promoted to an Assistant Coach at IU when Sampson was fired. 

As I recall his hire was controversial, at least, for Illini fans at the time due to the recruiting war between IU and the Illini for Eric Gordon who had already committed to Illinois.  I believe that Steele was the coach of Gordon's AAU team or had some other connection.  This was a subject discussed on this board often at that time in 2006.  Sampson was and is a slime ball and such tactics certainly might easily be something he would do.  But given the Steele's history over the last 16 years he had it in him to coach at a high level and perhaps Sampson saw that in him.