What does IU need from Tamar?

To this point I see a guy that can hit a spot up three but doesn't do anything else especially well. That's unfortunate because he could make the team much better if he could just do a few things really well.

He's not a point but he's been given plenty of opportunity to bring the ball up and set the offense. He's not good off the dribble, so rarely gets to the lane and doesn't get fouled,  so few free throws. No mid-range game to force the defense to move.  He's not a great passer or playmaker. He doesn't go to the glass to rebound offensively. That leaves defense to make an impact.

On defense he frequently gets lost. He's got the length and physical tools to guard multiple positions but he's by no stretch a lock down defender. And again, he's not getting on the glass. Mostly a spectator when the ball is shot.

There has to be more to his game. If not, it's time to get someone else on the court. He's quickly becoming the new Rob P. All the potential with few results.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 1

All we NEED from Bates is solid defense. That's really it. He'll still have the game where he hits a few 3's and puts up 14, and then he'll go 2-3 games where he struggles to get involved offensively. 

But in both scenarios IU needs him to not be a negative defensively. That's really it. While I would love for Bates to be a consistent offensive threat, he's just not there yet. 

Good news is that offense hasn't been the problem this year. We just need him to play hard, smart defense and the rest is gravy. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

All we NEED from Bates is solid defense. That's really it. He'll still have the game where he hits a few 3's and puts up 14, and then he'll go 2-3 games where he struggles to get involved offensively. 

But in both scenarios IU needs him to not be a negative defensively. That's really it. While I would love for Bates to be a consistent offensive threat, he's just not there yet. 

Good news is that offense hasn't been the problem this year. We just need him to play hard, smart defense and the rest is gravy. 

If he got us about 10 ppg and played tough defense, I would be alright with that.  He was a pretty highly thought of recruit coming out of high school (similar to JHS).  I know he had the daughter last year, I was hoping for more this year with his pedigree coming in.

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think his on the ball defense has improved, just his team defense and switches seem to throw him occasionally...

I would like to see him go to the basket with conviction more... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If he got us about 10 ppg and played tough defense, I would be alright with that.  He was a pretty highly thought of recruit coming out of high school (similar to JHS).  I know he had the daughter last year, I was hoping for more this year with his pedigree coming in.

I'm with you, I'll take 10ppg on 40% from 3 from him. Absolutely. Was just answering what NEED from him, and really it's just reliable defense. The offense is gravy and doesn't really matter if he's a negative defensively.