March Madness - where will we be?

I'm basing this on the fact that I think the committee is going to set up IU vs UK as a potential 4/5 matchup (assuming UK does not flame out early in SEC tourney).

1.  Birmingham, AL

2. Columbus, OH

3. Orlando, FL

4. Greensboro, NC

They will do everything they can to get that matchup in one of those first 2 sites I listed above.

Edited by 5fouls

Adding to that.  I think we are headed out west for the regionals.  Basing that on the theory that we will be the lowest seeded #4 and that the other 4's will get preferentially seeded in the other regions. 

I see the West region seeded like this.

1. UCLA

2. Baylor

3. Gonzaga

4. Indiana

5. Kentucky

That gives the committee two potentially huge games of interest.

IU vs UK in the round of 32, and UCLA vs the IU/UK winner in the Sweet 16.  Now, UCLA screws that up if they lose early in the PAC 12 tourney.  But, the committee really wants a West Coast anchor as #1 and Gonzaga is given as the #3 because the only other Top 4 seed actually from out there would be Arizona, and they wont be in same Region as UCLA.

If Purdue gets the #1 out there, IU will not be the 4 in the west.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

South Region

That's going to require us to be the 1st or 2nd seeded #4 seed.  According to Bracket Matrix, the teams on the 4 line right now are Connecticut, Xavier, Virginia, an Indiana.  

All 4 of those teams will have the South as #1 or #2 on their preferred list.

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That's going to require us to be the 1st or 2nd seeded #4 seed.  According to Bracket Matrix, the teams on the 4 line right now are Connecticut, Xavier, Virginia, an Indiana.  

All 4 of those teams will have the South as #1 or #2 on their preferred list.

That would be the case if they truly uses the S curve but with all the seeding and bracketing rules that doesn't always happens 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Adding to that.  I think we are headed out west for the regionals.  Basing that on the theory that we will be the lowest seeded #4 and that the other 4's will get preferentially seeded in the other regions. 

1. UCLA

2. Baylor

3. Gonzaga

4. Indiana

5. Kentucky

IU vs UK in the round of 32, and UCLA vs the IU/UK winner in the Sweet 16.  Now, UCLA screws that up if they lose early in the PAC 12 tourney.  But, the committee really wants a West Coast anchor as #1 and Gonzaga is given as the #3 because the only other Top 4 seed actually from out there would be Arizona, and they wont be in same Region as UCLA.

Doing the Lord's work.

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Is there a way to logically deduce the 2-4 places we might be for the first weekend?  I am considering booking a flight now and just cancelling it if it doesn't line up, but this team is too special, I want to see them in person.  Anyone been tracking this more closely than I have with some wisdom?

Just book flights to all the first round cities.:coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

1. UCLA

2. Baylor

3. Gonzaga

4. Indiana

5. Kentucky

Headed out west, you say?  This Arizonan loves this information.

5 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’m fine with a 4 but want to avoid Kansas at all costs

I'm being Captain Obvious here, but ya gotta beat em all to win a natty.

I'm sure the '87 team wasn't thrilled to play Syracuse for the title either.  Syracuse was very talented that year.  On paper, they should have definitely won.

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm sure the '87 team wasn't thrilled to play Syracuse for the title either.  Syracuse was very talented that year.  On paper, they should have definitely won.

I’m fine with beating them but wanna do it later like let’s say final 4

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

IU has a better chance of falling to a 5 (should we lose Friday in BTT) than it does of moving up to a 3 (our Net, KenPom, and even our W/L record do not support a 3).

I would put our odds to be a 4 seed at about 85%.  

We aren’t falling to a 5 and are probably not going to get a 3, either. Conference tournament means little for seeding.

You’re not factoring in the Race injury when you talk about our numbers. The committee does factor those in (already did when they released seeding Feb 17). 

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Actually no! Some teams that you don’t match up well with also don’t match up well with another team that beats them before you face them. 2002 had a lot to do with other teams!

• Like 1