Arc of Champions - 2023

Thank you @fasbjd.  Your stuff is among my favorite things on this board.

I'm a little disappointed with where IU falls in the chart.  Based on where other teams fell, I would have guessed us to be one arc closer to the championship arc than what we are.

It's a good reminder for IU fans not to get our hopes up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Thank you @fasbjd.  Your stuff is among my favorite things on this board.

I'm a little disappointed with where IU falls in the chart.  Based on where other teams fell, I would have guessed us to be one arc closer to the championship arc than what we are.

It's a good reminder for IU fans not to get our hopes up.

Torvik just didn't like us this year.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, rico said:

Torvik just didn't like us this year.

I think the computer numbers overall are down - some close wins and less close losses that dilute out the big wins that led to our seeding.

Torvik's numbers are more critical of the offense where he has us ranked 34th where KenPom has at 27th.  The defensive rankings are comparable (KemPom 43 to Torvik 46) and overall Torvik has us at 33 and KenPom at 30, so not far off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This is a real shocker.  Despite playing the 2nd most minutes, JHS has the worst Box +- of any of the rotation guys. and a few of the non-rotation ones.

image.thumb.png.1f77d2b35638a882930b9e0eeb6ce7bb.png

I’m surprised you’re surprised 🤣. He was wildly inconsistent on offense (shooting and taking care of the ball) this year and was really bad on D many times. Isn’t very good at keeping his man in front of him or tracking his man when he doesn’t have the ball. With that said, he won us a couple games and he has all of the potential in the world, but I think he could really benefit from another year. 

• Like 3

This is real interesting. Have you ever played around with it to see if limiting it to the last 4 or 6 weeks improves the accuracy? The problem with season-long analytics is that teams like Purdue and UConn haven't been playing at the same level at year's end that they were for much of the season, but the models don't fully take that into account. So this probably overrated their chances.

25 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

This is real interesting. Have you ever played around with it to see if limiting it to the last 4 or 6 weeks improves the accuracy? The problem with season-long analytics is that teams like Purdue and UConn haven't been playing at the same level at year's end that they were for much of the season, but the models don't fully take that into account. So this probably overrated their chances.

Good thought..unfortunately with 1000s of data points, won't be an easy task!

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, fasbjd said:

Good thought..unfortunately with 1000s of data points, won't be an easy task!

Didn't mean to suggest you necessarily should do it, just curious if you'd looked at that at all. My guess is that some weighting of most recent play while still factoring in full season numbers would probably provide the greatest accuracy, but I'm not a stats guy. Torvik does make it easy to do cutoffs of, say, February 1st to end of year, if that helps.

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The arrow is actually pointing off the chart all-together.  Boiler-Up! 

Yeah...I looked back and they were the worst defense by adjusted efficiency that has made the tournament since '08 per T-rank...should say at least '08 since that's the first year of data on his site).

Edited by fasbjd
  • Like 1

Well...here's how the grid stands going into the sweet 16 (again click on the image for better resolution). Field tightening up quite a bit with 2 outliers...Princeton and, unfortunately, Miami.  As I said in the original post, Miami worried me the most of the 3 teams in our section of the bracket even though their position on the grid would suggest it's a team we should beat.  I didn't like their positioning among Iowa and Penn State (teams we showed vulnerability to).  

Despite all the chaos of the first 2 rounds, 9 of the 16 top 4 seeds remain.  Taken seed-by-seed, the survivors make sense:

1: Houston and Alabama looked to be superior to Purdue and Kansas.

2: UCLA and Texas looked better than Arizona and Marquette

3: Kansas St and to a lesser extent Xavier (whose highest seed faced was a First Four 11 seed) and Gonzaga looked superior to Baylor

4: Tennessee and UConn look to be amongst the elite where Virginia and, unfortunately, IU were not

image.png

• Thanks 2

The Final 8 - both sector 1 teams eliminated (won't shed a tear for either of those coaches!).  Mutiple strong contenders still standing.  Miami / Gonzaga / FAU remain the outliers per the grid - but all playing well, so a new standard may be set.

image.png

• Like 2

The Final Four Arc Grid:  Two contenders that are playing by the rules and two that are trying their best to break the grid and ruin my life's work 😜.

Miami is the first team from Sector 5 to make the Final Four.  FAU is the 5th from Sector 4.  Sector 4 had 2 teams make the Finals including UNC last year.  None have won it all.  

On the other hand, Sector 2 has had now 13 teams in the Final Four, about 8% of the teams.  7 of the prior 11 made the Finals and 3 won it all.  The safe bets go to UConn and SDSU...but nothing has been safe this tourney so lets see how the grid holds up!

image.png

Edited by fasbjd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The grid did a little flexing last night.  Feel bad for Dusty but the grid gives no quarter!

As for the finalists, an interesting juxtaposition.  Both are 2nd sector teams but similarities end there.  UConn, at first glance, looks like the better positioned team (they seem to have more company of former champions in their general area)...but if they win, they will do so with the second worst defensive efficiency for a champion in grid history (since '08) with the only team worse than them being the team with the best offensive efficiency in grid history (Villanova '18).  In fact, they would only rank as the 10th best in aOE of the 15 represented champs, just behind the current average for champion's aOE (120.2 vs 119.8).

SDSU, on the other hand, would have the second worst offensive efficiency of any champion in grid history with the only team worse being one of the 2-3 best defensive teams in grid history (Louisville '13).  SDSU would have the 7th best defense to win the title with an aDE right at the average of current champions (90.6).

As such, neither team would be a surprise.  My heart will be pulling for SDSU just to keep UConn behind us in the banner count!

image.png

Edited by fasbjd
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 3:29 PM, TheWatShot said:

LMAO, Fairleigh Dickinson is such an outlier, it needs an arrow pointing toward it. And Purdue lost to that team. 

Just shows you at the end of the day you gotta be able to make shots 

or stats don’t account for choking