Transfers with IU Interest

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I’m really sad because on paper…Jordan Geronimo is the exact player we need. Athletic 4 that can stretch the defense but also rebound, defend, and block shots….just didn’t translate.

Athletic like JG you mean, right?? But can, shoot, pass, rebound and dribble better than JG, right? Because our JG couldn't do any of those things, which is why he is in the portal.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Athletic like JG you mean, right?? But can, shoot, pass, rebound and dribble better than JG, right? Because our JG couldn't do any of those things, which is why he is in the portal.

Geronimo I think can shoot the 3 at 30-32% clip potentially had we really developed him. He didn’t have a bad stroke. certainly couldn’t put it on the deck nor make plays passing. I thought his defense and rebounding were more than adequate. Mostly he just didn’t make great decisions and his fundamentals handling the ball etc were very much lacking. Mostly what I was getting at was someone with his size, and athleticism but with the skills you mentioned. Just haven’t had that player in a long while at IU. Jordan, Justin Smith, and Jerome Hunter had tantalizing potential…but haven’t had someone materialize at that position yet. Race was just a different breed and certainly a back to the basket guy but gave us stability and hard play.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iuswingman said:

If we are wanting to play 4 out, 1 in then how many big men do we really need?  Seems like 3 would be more than enough for 1 position when you consider only 13 scholarships for 5 positions.

I guess Ledlum isn't too shabby from 3 (30 percent) so maybe we are considering him one of the outs.

Out

1) Johnson / Cupps

2) Gunn / Leal

3) Galloway / Newton

4) Ledlum (possibly) / Banks

In

5) Reneau / Sparks / Shedrick (possibly)

Putting Banks as an "out" is generous given he isn't much of a threat to shoot from outside (yet at least).   If Shedrick is a lock, then the rest should be outside shooters.    Ledlum should be the minimum we look for when it comes to ability to shoot the 3.

There is zero question on Ledlum or Banks as an out. It’s a lot more than just shooting from three. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Mostly he just didn’t make great decisions and his fundamentals handling the ball etc were very much lacking.

I don't think Woodson has the time anymore to teach fundamentals with the way college recruiting is today. Woodson can teach a player like JHS, Xavier and TJD to make better decisions but the days of developing fundamentals over a 4 year career might be dead with NIL deals and the portal.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1