Transfers with IU Interest

1 hour ago, Coach McDingle said:

Sorry just to clarify,  he re-injured his knee again in the past few weeks? 

Not exactly. When he got to IU the IU medical team evaluated him and decided he needed to slow things down and rehab differently because he was still having some issues. They want to make sure he’s healthy when he does finally return to action. That’s why IU is looking to find another guard if possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

On 7/28/2023 at 11:26 AM, 13th&Jackson said:

He's said publicly that working out and rehabbing the knee is all he's been able to do. Not allowed to practice. He did say he's just started taking some jump shots with no knee pain. He had microfracture surgery. That's a long recovery. 

My first knee surgery was micro fracture. 5 weeks non weight bearing and a lengthy rehab. I am not a Division 1 athlete, but can imagine that it would take him a fair amount of time to recover and get to the point where he can compete at that level 

13 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Not exactly. When he got to IU the IU medical team evaluated him and decided he needed to slow things down and rehab differently because he was still having some issues. They want to make sure he’s healthy when he does finally return to action. That’s why IU is looking to find another guard if possible.

Did I get this right, he's shut down for the season?  This is bigger news than we think, imo

On 7/28/2023 at 12:30 AM, Indykev said:

Sounds like Newton will miss the season. That puts us at 5 guards and 3 are leal, Cupps and gunn.. Thats not enough. All the swings and misses this summer on guard transfers is going to bite us in the ass.

This is a big deal, imo.  Needs more eyeballs and discussion. Woodson made it widely known that we're still looking in the portal.  Hopefully some guys enter here soon as they're getting back to campus looking around at their situation and saying dang IU needs me and their a top NIL player

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Did I get this right, he's shut down for the season?  This is bigger news than we think, imo

Relistening to Jakai's interview with HH (July 18th), and he says he tweaked it right right before he came to Bloomington,  the IU doctors said he had to take it slow, but he's starting to shoot...He also said there was NO talk of red shirting...Which I would think would be on the table if he physically couldn't go all year...

And all Woody said in his interview on HH is, and I quote, "Jakai Newton has been hurt, so I don't know where we stand with him this season.:

I interpret that as "We haven't seen him play and where he fits in with the team yet."

I don't think he was inplying that Jakai's injury was going to have him missing the whole season...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Relistening to Jakai's interview with HH (July 18th), and he says he tweaked it right right before he came to Bloomington,  the IU doctors said he had to take it slow, but he's starting to shoot...He also said there was NO talk of red shirting...Which I would think would be on the table if he physically couldn't go all year...

And all Woody said in his interview on HH is, and I quote, "Jakai Newton has been hurt, so I don't know where we stand with him this season.:

I interpret that as "We haven't seen him play and where he fits in with the team yet."

I don't think he was inplying that Jakai's injury was going to have him missing the whole season...

I also listened to it the other day and had the same impression. Jakai also said he tweaked it back in January or so. So he’s had two setbacks through his rehab process. It makes sense that the IU medical team wants to take it slowly and rehab differently given that he’s had multiple setbacks already.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Reading The Daily Hoosier again, that was his take away not woody's that Jakai would probably miss the season.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

I also listened to it the other day and had the same impression. Jakai also said he tweaked it back in January or so. So he’s had two setbacks through his rehab process. It makes sense that the IU medical team wants to take it slowly and rehab differently given that he’s had multiple setbacks already.

Cr@p! Another injury prone player is NOT what IU needs, IMO.....

On 7/31/2023 at 7:48 AM, NotIThatLives said:

It hasn’t been decided yet. He could be redshirted but they’ve still got time to figure out whether that will be necessary. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Jordan Rayford added as a walk-on. 

Indiana basketball adding a pair of transfers as walkons

The Indiana basketball team is adding a pair of walk-on transfers, sources tell Peegs.com. Air Force transfer Jordan Rayford and junior college transfer Jackson Creel are both walking on to the Indiana basketball team.

Edited by Between2Halls
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

The Indiana basketball team is adding a pair of walk-on transfers, sources tell Peegs.com. Air Force transfer Jordan Rayford and junior college transfer Jackson Creel are both walking on to the Indiana basketball team.

Rayford Bio from the AFA page

Jackson Creel stats from his year at Rend Lake CC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Between2Halls said:

Giving up a lot to leave AF Academy to be a walk on. But the Academy is a 12 year commitment (4 Academy, 5 active duty, 3 reserve). 

• Like 5