Transfers with IU Interest

41 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I hear you and have had that thought as well. My concern at this point, and hopefully Mgbako is the answer, but who is that guard/wing scorer who can get us buckets in big moments when we need it? 

I understand thinking someone that serves that role and pushes Galloway to the bench is a way to go with that. 

We all just watched the NCAA Tournament a couple of months ago and the teams that were advancing were the teams that had multiple guards and wings that were three-level scorers. Multiple guys that could score and create. It was clear IU needs more of that. 

So I hear you. 

With that said, I'm not sure we can realistically find the player that pushes Galloway to the bench. 

The reality is that we have a 6th year point guard and our wings are a McDonald's All-American and a 4th year returning senior that played 28mpg. 

Take the Spencer kid from Rutgers. He played 32mpg last year. There was no way to sell him that he would slide right into our lineup. Maybe from a talent perspective he would push Galloway to the bench, but you're still not going to able to convince him that he wouldn't be platooning in that spot. 

Getting a "stud" to push Galloway to the bench is a really hard sell. 

I agree there might not be someone out there but if the chance came, I would use the scholarship.  But as you said, unlikely anyone meets those needs

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It really depends on the guy.  Galloway wasn't a starter until X went out last year.  He can also play all three guard/wing spots.  With 120 mins, how much are realistically available?

X 30 max at full speed

Galloway 25 at full speed

MM 25 

Banks hopefully ready for 20, maybe even some time at the 4.  

Gunn?, Newton?, Cupps?  Who really knows.  But a guy like Caleb Love isn't afraid of getting those mins at the 2.  

The jam up looks to be at the 3 and little to no need for a lead ball handler assuming X stays healthy and Cupps is good for 10 mins along with Galloway.  

I have no clue who we will be able to pull off at this point.  

Right, but those guys aren't choosing IU in a vacuum. They have plenty of other options, and I'd assume some where the path to minutes isn't as crowded. 

Its also not really about anyone being afraid of competition or anything, it's just why choose a crowded option when you can find one that isn't?

You listed out 120 available minutes and you already filled 100 of them without even getting to Cupps, Newton and Gunn. 

I also understand the Galloway situation from last year, but no matter the circumstances he is a returning starter that played 28mpg. That's the reality. 

If you bring in a legit 30mpg guy, you're going to convince both the new guy and Galloway that they're dropping to something like 20-24mpg and also explain to Cupps, Newton and Gunn that they may not even get a shot at rotation minutes?

Just tough sells all the way around when these transfer portal guys have infinite options. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It is, but it's called beef

Actually I just looked it up. What we know as Mongolian Beef actually originated in Tiawan

Edit: BBQ meat in Mongolia is called KHORKHOG it’s more like a stew and usually mutton but can be beef,

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Right, but those guys aren't choosing IU in a vacuum. They have plenty of other options, and I'd assume some where the path to minutes isn't as crowded. 

Its also not really about anyone being afraid of competition or anything, it's just why choose a crowded option when you can find one that isn't?

You listed out 120 available minutes and you already filled 100 of them without even getting to Cupps, Newton and Gunn. 

I also understand the Galloway situation from last year, but no matter the circumstances he is a returning starter that played 28mpg. That's the reality. 

If you bring in a legit 30mpg guy, you're going to convince both the new guy and Galloway that they're dropping to something like 20-24mpg and also explain to Cupps, Newton and Gunn that they may not even get a shot at rotation minutes?

Just tough sells all the way around when these transfer portal guys have infinite options. 

My issue with TG being a starter isn’t what he brings to the table it’s the “he disappears too much offensively to be a two guard during clutch moments”. We need a combo guard that wants the ball and can make it in clutch. X is talented but he’s just not money enough when we are down by 1 with 10 seconds to go. Maybe that’s MM but I want a guy that can drill a three with three seconds left 40% of the time with ice in his veins because that’s what we are lacking.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jay edwards brother said:

Hoping its a zoom call with Simeon Wilcher or Antonio Reeves

How would we keep either happy, at this point? 

I'd prefer someone with lead guard skills and more experience than Wilcher. 

Mongolian Mike was perfect for all of that, but I understand him wanting more PT up front. 

Edited by btownqb

46 minutes ago, rico said:

Be interesting to see how Love meshes with that douchebag HC that Zona has.

Definitely being called a high-risk/high-reward play.  If they can make it work, it could pay big dividends.

...or it could completely blow up AZ.