Transfers with IU Interest

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hmm….he certainly could shoot the 3 ball but what I saw from him last year was the defense, rebounding, little things he didn’t seem to be too interested in doing. His defense would worry me.

Yeah, purely looking at stats only, looks like you get scoring and not much else. Doesn't hit the boards or get many assists and defense looks questionable. 

Maybe it was the coaching?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

no, initial was high on reading tea leaves of social media and saying IU facilities are subpar compared to SEC.

IndyResident was saying the world was ending because we missed on Ledlum and he would be our leading scorer and will be for Tennessee.

Admittedly I don't pay attention to specific posters as much as I should. With that said did he get a timeout or ? Thought his information seemed good. Wasn't sure where he went.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Admittedly I don't pay attention to specific posters as much as I should. With that said did he get a timeout or ? Thought his information seemed good. Wasn't sure where he went.

No, i told him maybe he should just move on to another topic since he was kind of beating a dead horse and that maybe since people were agreeing with him on twitter he should go there.  He didn't take kindly to my post, which i really thought was pretty neutral and not calling him out or down.  He said something like since I didn't want him posting he would just go to twitter and i think he actually did it.  wasn't what i was intending at all.  But if my mild post hurt his feeling, he might want to stay off the internet.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't have any issues with what he was saying overall, but some folks think 'who follows who' on social media is a very big indicator, and I would say it's just one of many. Mark Cuban and Ken Dunn following MM was a good one, but kinda like the Chrystal Ball prediction switcheroos, they didn't start following until it was probably let out of the bag by actual insiders. But like I said, it can be an indicator of things, but so are others ie fit, playing time, position need, eligible years etc. If we don't think a guy is a good fit, more than likely neither does anyone else regardless if they are following Cliff Marshall etc. Regardless, it's fun to hear the rumors or to speculate. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

no, initial was high on reading tea leaves of social media and saying IU facilities are subpar compared to SEC.

IndyResident was saying the world was ending because we missed on Ledlum and he would be our leading scorer and will be for Tennessee.

@ledies22 is our forum stenographer. Dude has notes going back a decade. 

200w.gif.a211261b030332e412f7aadbe25c80b2.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

As long as one of my receipts is my comment in post game Penn St thread this year you can post all of my idiotic things for eternity.

haha i stay out of the game and post game threads, my brain doesnt have enough storage for the things said in there.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Indykev said:

He just went through the NBA process and was invited to the G League camp. It looks like he will be a one or two year guy. We can't have a team full of 24 and 25 one and done players. it will set us back 5 years and we'll look like UK today. 7 scolly players and no one from the portal wants to go there. By the way, we wont get every 24 or 25 guy we offer. Players must come from some where else.

I think the transfer portal has eliminated the inability to rebound from losing people to the draft/one and done's. The problem with Calipari and Kentucky is he has never really went to the transfer portal model in balance with pulling the best high school kids with balance.  He rode the one and done train for too long and the transfer portal in conjunction with NIL leveled the playing field and may have even beat him.

51 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I think the transfer portal has eliminated the inability to rebound from losing people to the draft/one and done's. The problem with Calipari and Kentucky is he has never really went to the transfer portal model in balance with pulling the best high school kids with balance.  He rode the one and done train for too long and the transfer portal in conjunction with NIL leveled the playing field and may have even beat him.

He also wont/can’t recruit over his 5*. That I think is hurting him. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, purely looking at stats only, looks like you get scoring and not much else. Doesn't hit the boards or get many assists and defense looks questionable. 

Absolutely could be…but one thing Cal really really preaches is defense. I’m not trying to stick up for him because I don’t think when it comes to x/o’s and situational coaching he could coach his way out of a wet paper bag but he really really spends a lot of time on the defensive end. So much that most Kentucky fans have been upset for years about not having enough shooting and tired of hearing him talk about defense on his show. The games I saw last year just felt like this kid was one dimensional. Only interested in seeking out his shot. That said he would bring that talent that we sorely lack and maybe we could help him out with the defensive lapses. Not against him but just wanted to point out. He is like the polar opposite of Trey. Trey is a stat stuffer and king of everything that doesn’t show up on the stat sheet…this kid what you see on the sheet is what you get.

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I know nothing, but I was reading an article on him this morning from a Kentucky outlet. A few of the comments from UK fans after the article mentioned that defense was a positive and his shooting was very streaky. Small sample size and I have no idea if these people were idiots about basketball.

…..Well, idiots, beyond being UK fans. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I know nothing, but I was reading an article on him this morning from a Kentucky outlet. A few of the comments from UK fans after the article mentioned that defense was a positive and his shooting was very streaky. Small sample size and I have no idea if these people were idiots about basketball.

…..Well, idiots, beyond being UK fans. 

Yeah, I was just purely going off stats. In about 27mpg he only averaged 2.1rpg and 1.1apg. 

His defensive win share was 0.8, but honestly I don't really know what that one means 🤣. His PER was strong his last year at Illinois St and it was solid last year. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/antonio-reeves-1.html

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Yes.  Although he's an intriguing prospect, I don't think he fits with IU next season.  Only question is "Is he better than who we might get to commit in Class of 24?" 

I don't agree, my friend. I think his skill set is always something you add. 

I think we have more than plenty of room for '24, personally. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Yes.  Although he's an intriguing prospect, I don't think he fits with IU next season.  Only question is "Is he better than who we might get to commit in Class of 24?" 

I see the kid and see potential.  I trust Woody working with potential.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't agree, my friend. I think his skill set is always something you add. 

I think we have more than plenty of room for '24, personally. 

But I thought the "hot take" was that we need a shooter? I mean, 31% from 3 isn't terrible, but I was under the impression we'd be more in the market for someone like Reeves...

My opinion is that we have enough developmental players with Gunn, Banks, Newton, and Cupps...I'm not sure of Sharavjamts priorities, but I think he'd be battling those guys for minutes

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

But I thought the "hot take" was that we need a shooter? I mean, 31% from 3 isn't terrible, but I was under the impression we'd be more in the market for someone like Reeves...

My opinion is that we have enough developmental players with Gunn, Banks, Newton, and Cupps...I'm not sure of Sharavjamts priorities, but I think he'd be battling those guys for minutes

Cupps isn't a developmental player. I don't know that Newton is. Having Gunn+Banks shouldn't mean we don't have interest in MM. 

And maybe we do need a shooter more, there has to be one there we like, as well. 

If what we come up with is--- out of our realistic options left in the portal, we add a 6'8 kid with lead guard skills. I'm allll on board with that. 

Btw Mongolian Mike shot 50%+ from 3 his SR year of HS. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Cupps isn't a developmental player. I don't know that Newton is.

Come on man...every freshman coming into college is a developmental to some degree...And you don't think out of the kids I listed he'd be vying for time with them?

The goal to those who think we need to add a shooter is to reach our ceiling this year...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Come on man...every freshman coming into college is a developmental to some degree...And you don't think out of the kids I listed he'd be vying for time with them?

The goal to those who think we need to add a shooter is to reach our ceiling this year...

So.. you want Mongolian Mike or not?