Transfers with IU Interest

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Timberlake isn't either, and there's been no talk about Spencer to IU besides the "wish lists" on message boards and Twitter...

We have kids who sat on the bench last year and kids coming in that have talent... I like what Elston and Watford said... Time to give them their shot... 

who are the guys on the bench you think can shoot? I’m optimistic about the guys coming in, but I don’t see the returning guard on the bench who can shoot.

If it’s CJ, where is the comp of a guy going from that awful to being a positive shooter with volume in one year? I’ve just never seen that. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

who are the guys on the bench you think can shoot? I’m optimistic about the guys coming in, but I don’t see the returning guard on the bench who can shoot.

If it’s CJ, where is the comp of a guy going from that awful to being a positive shooter with volume in one year? I’ve just never seen that. 

Gabe Dorsey shot 7% on 27 three point attempts as a freshman. The next year he was over 44% with 171 attempts. Though he did have to transfer from Vanderbilt to William and Mary to do it .

Josh Reaves and Avery Anderson were decent shooters after freshmen seasons like CJs. CBB Reference has a season finder tool if you want to look for more examples of guys with his volume and percentage in year one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Maybe he doesn’t qualify as volume, but Olidipo went from a 21% 3pt shoooter to a 44% 3pt shooter in one year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Timberlake isn't either, and there's been no talk about Spencer to IU besides the "wish lists" on message boards and Twitter...

More than message board chatter on Spencer. I’m aware Timberlake is no longer available, that’s why I said would have been a great fit. I U was clearly interested in both for a reason. Volume, high percentage shooters are in high demand. But, as these guys show, they exist, 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/report-indicates-iu-basketball-in-contact-with-rutgers-transfer-guard-cam-spencer/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

More than message board chatter on Spencer. I’m aware Timberlake is no longer available, that’s why I said would have been a great fit. I U was clearly interested in both for a reason. Volume, high percentage shooters are in high demand. But, as these guys show, they exist, 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/report-indicates-iu-basketball-in-contact-with-rutgers-transfer-guard-cam-spencer/

So a article from NJ.com based on an unnamed "source" shows IU is "clearly interested?"  

Did you follow the link that said, "hearing from a handful of elite programs?"

It links to this article where another NJ.com insider speculates about landing spots for Spencer... It doesn't say any of those programs have actually contacted Spencer... Cast the net wide enough and you'll catch the right fish... 

Go back through this thread and see how many times Indiana is on a list with a boatload of other schools that are "interested" in a kid... It's a pretty long list...

But how many were we really serious about? As the article you cited says, it appears there was already a "pre-determined destination" when Spencer entered the portal... 

Again, I trust Mike Woodson... If he thinks Spencer is the "missing piece" like so many on here believe, fine...

Edited by IUFLA

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So a article from NJ.com based on an unnamed "source" shows IU is "clearly interested?"  

Did you follow the link that said, "hearing from a handful of elite programs?"

It links to this article where another NJ.com insider speculates about landing spots for Spencer... It doesn't say any of those programs have actually contacted Spencer... Cast the net wide enough and you'll catch the right fish... 

Go back through this thread and see how many times Indiana is on a list with a boatload of other schools that are "interested" in a kid... It's a pretty long list...

But how many were we really serious about? As the article you cited says, it appears there was already a "pre-determined destination" when Spencer entered the portal... 

Again, I trust Mike Woodson... If he thinks Spencer is the "missing piece" like so many on here believe, fine...

We've talked about this, but I just don't see how Spencer fits or how IU could possibly sell him?

Spencer played 30mpg last year. Galloway played something like 27mpg. 

So, you're telling one of them they're probably having their minutes cut in half? If not in half, then you're basically telling Gunn, Cupps, Newton that they're out of the rotation this season. 

I don’t disagree with some that we need another experienced guard, but IMO it's a role player type for depth and again some experience. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We've talked about this, but I just don't see how Spencer fits or how IU could possibly sell him?

Spencer played 30mpg last year. Galloway played something like 27mpg. 

So, you're telling one of them they're probably having their minutes cut in half? If not in half, then you're basically telling Gunn, Cupps, Newton that they're out of the rotation this season. 

I don’t disagree with some that we need another experienced guard, but IMO it's a role player type for depth and again some experience. 

The bolded is exactly what Watford and Elston were alluding to...

“You’ve got to reward the guys that stay loyal to you too,” Watford said.  “I think you’ve got reward those guys and give them a chance.  I don’t think you can just recruit over them.”

“There is nothing better than a little healthy competition in your practices, because all that does is spark great play from players and getting them ready for the season, and I think that’s what we have,” Elston said.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The bolded is exactly what Watford and Elston were alluding to...

“You’ve got to reward the guys that stay loyal to you too,” Watford said.  “I think you’ve got reward those guys and give them a chance.  I don’t think you can just recruit over them.”

“There is nothing better than a little healthy competition in your practices, because all that does is spark great play from players and getting them ready for the season, and I think that’s what we have,” Elston said.

We recruited over Banks.  Gunn showed even less than Banks.  The other 2 are freshman that if they can perform consistent enough to earn mins good on them.  If they get over recruited and we hang a banner will anyone besides their grandma be that upset?

I don't think Mike Woodson has come to wait around.  He knows how close this team is to a contender.  One player away.   How many scholarships are left?

And what happened to the new mentally that these are paid players and this is a business?  If feelings get hurt, work harder or go somewhere else.  

• Like 6

I don’t understand the comments about lack of 3 point volume and concern that it will carry over to this year. It was clear that our offense was going to run through the inside with TJD and to a lesser degree, Race. By design, 3 point shooting was going to be limited. Trey and X have shown they can shoot a from distance at good clips and I can see CMW wanting to run this team’s offense to better take advantage. I think we’ll see a much different style of play and many more opportunities for long range shooters from all least 4 of the 5 positions.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

We recruited over Banks. 

We did? Did anyone expect Banks to start this year? I certainly didn't. He'll probably be the backup 3 to Mgbako. Should be a good competition.

50 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Gunn showed even less than Banks.

CJ played exactly 150 minutes last year, with at least half of those coming against the likes of Elon and Miami of Ohio. I'm not sure the sample size is enough to make an honest assessment of his abilities...

I do think Banks figured out what Woody wanted from him to be in the rotation. Defense, rebounding and energy. CJ seemed to want to shoot his way into the rotation, and that got him bench time. But, he's long, athletic, and judging from his high school days can definitely shoot the basketball. His defense needs to be less gambling and more stay in front and switch right, but he'll get that. He does seem to want to be a good defender, and that's half the battle. 

56 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

One player away.

I keep waiting for a name... 

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We did? Did anyone expect Banks to start this year? I certainly didn't. He'll probably be the backup 3 to Mgbako. Should be a good competition.

CJ played exactly 150 minutes last year, with at least half of those coming against the likes of Elon and Miami of Ohio. I'm not sure the sample size is enough to make an honest assessment of his abilities...

I do think Banks figured out what Woody wanted from him to be in the rotation. Defense, rebounding and energy. CJ seemed to want to shoot his way into the rotation, and that got him bench time. But, he's long, athletic, and judging from his high school days can definitely shoot the basketball. His defense needs to be less gambling and more stay in front and switch right, but he'll get that. He does seem to want to be a good defender, and that's half the battle. 

In the same vein, Trey would have been 6th man all of last year with a healthy squad.  

Gunn couldn't get himself on the floor being down a guard.  

I doubt real seriously the last scholarship goes unused.  I have no doubt that Trey is aware, he probably knows the type of player they want, maybe even who it is.  And he didn't hit the portal.  He wants to win big.  

“I came back here to win Big Ten titles and a national title. That’s all I want. I’m not going to push the team in any other direction. If they’re scared of that challenge, then they shouldn’t be here.”

• Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 1:21 PM, FKIM01 said:

I am so sick of hearing this myth about IU having nobody that can shoot.  Trey Galloway (46%) and Xavier Johnson (37%) say hello.  If a new player comes in shooting (possible) or a current roster player takes a leap like Galloway did last season (entirely possible), IU will have plenty of shooting.

I'm very much evolving to a "my team is on the floor" stance.  It won't bother me at all if IU stays right where they are.  I think they'll be better than most are giving them credit for.

Yes Trey's 1.8 attempts will win some games. CJ Gunn shoots that much sitting on the bench with his warm ups on.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Cj has been in Atlanta training with a shooting coach. I expect he will make a jump but how far, we'll see. The good thing is, he is putting in the time to get better.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don’t understand the comments about lack of 3 point volume and concern that it will carry over to this year. It was clear that our offense was going to run through the inside with TJD and to a lesser degree, Race. By design, 3 point shooting was going to be limited. Trey and X have shown they can shoot a from distance at good clips and I can see CMW wanting to run this team’s offense to better take advantage. I think we’ll see a much different style of play and many more opportunities for long range shooters from all least 4 of the 5 positions.

Trey and X have shown they can hit open shots when TJD creates those shots. That's a very valuable skill, but it is not the same skill that a guy like Love (not saying we should get him) has, where he gets his own shot. You can't just scale that up and have Trey and X jack 150+ 3's a year and expect the percentages to stay the same. Maybe they improve this off-season and get there, but thus far, they have not shown the ability to get themselves that many looks. Hopefully, with MM and our front court, they won't have to.

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

But that’s a massive difference from what we are asking CJ Gunn to do. 

What are we asking him to do? Be a backup 2... Be better than Tamar Bates was last year... That's what Woody is asking of him...

He's more athletic than Bates... Slightly taller...played defense as well as Tamar...

CJ has a nice stroke that made him a high volume 36% from 3 in high school... 

He'll be battling another pretty good athlete, Jakai Newton (and I'd say they're the 2 best athletes on the team) for minutes... I think it'll be a great competition... 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What are we asking him to do? Be a backup 2... Be better than Tamar Bates was last year... That's what Woody is asking of him...

He's more athletic than Bates... Slightly taller...played defense as well as Tamar...

He'll be battling another pretty good athlete, Jakai Newton (and I'd say they're the 2 best athletes on the team) for minutes... I think it'll be a great competition... 

I hope we are asking more than that, otherwise Bates should still be here.

Our guard depth last year was a weakness, to this point I don’t think we have addressed it. I hope I’m wrong on that if we don’t add anyone, but to act like it’s not the open question on the roster currently is a bit puzzling. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Bates > Gunn last year in every way I can think of, especially defensively.   And no one is against the kid.  We are for him.  

• Like 4