Transfers with IU Interest

Regarding Love. 

What we know from CMW's first two years at the helm:

- He has shown he can rein in a player who has presented team cohesion problems in the past-see X

- He has allowed players to play freely and to maybe be more aggressive with their shot selection than we would like--to a point. He has shown he will pull players off the court their shot choices become too egregious--see Tamar.

- He has shown that to earn time on the court, players must buy into the defensive concepts he preaches, first and foremost. He has not hesitated to pull players who don't--see multiple players, most notably Jordan.

What we hope:

- That if we are pursuing Love, he has matured and understands that this is his last/best chance to position himself for professional ball. We have seen numerous times where players who realize this is their final season play with much more of a sense of urgency--see Trayce.

What we don't know, but what is vital to Love being an integral part of this team, imo:

- There must be a player or players who take the reins of leadership, who can call out and temper any player, including Love, who needs a good kick in the rear. The coaching staff's collective voices can only carry so much weight. I believe we have the guys who can fill that role, but proof will be in the pudding.

I am not going to carte blanche blow Love off.  There is a lot of talent there, and he would fill an obvious need on this roster. If he can make the adjustments needed to become a team player and not a me-first guy, I believe he could be a valuable asset to this team.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Not sure what to think about Love and IU connection again.... 2 main thoughts

Love to IU was supposed to be all but a done deal earlier. Then the zoom call happened, and then completely fell off the table. What happened? Did Woody not like how the conversation went? Did Love not like Woody telling him that he has a roll on the team and it is not to be an inefficient ball hog? idk. It appear to be the latter since IU has interest again?

Two,  dont think Love is the missing piece. The talent on this team would be crazy. But, the egos would also be and hard to handle. I dont think Love is a positive effect on that. With that we would probably be quite high in preseason rankings and such, but i dont think we would ever meet those expectations with Love. 

However, Woody has not done a single thing for me to question his personnel decisions, so if he want Love, so do I....I suppose.

Basically, from what I've gathered Love didn't like what Woody had to say about his role/fit which led some to believe he really just wants to continue to play the way he did at UNC. Last night I was originally fine with the thought of going after love again but the more I think about it I think this years team is to important to the future of the program to bring in some that could be a complete cancer/chucker if things aren't going their way. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Basically, from what I've gathered Love didn't like what Woody had to say about his role/fit which led some to believe he really just wants to continue to play the way he did at UNC. Last night I was originally fine with the thought of going after love again but the more I think about it I think this years team is to important to the future of the program to bring in some that could be a complete cancer/chucker if things aren't going their way. 

Devonte Green 2.0... 

• Like 4

Love is as complicated of a recruit as it gets.  He could be a coup or he could spectacularly backfire.  He’s got immense talent. At times he had been brilliant.  He got some big buckets for them when they made their run.  But he also can be inefficient and not a winning player when it’s not going well.  

It sure looks like he needs to be coached hard.  Whether he can accept that or not, I don’t know.  If you listen to our players, Woody coaches you hard but the players accepted it.  They know that Woody has their best interest at heart and he flat out knows what he’s talking about.  

Whether Love is a fit — we don’t know because we aren’t part of the discussions. We can see what happens.   Woody doesn’t recruit by telling you whatever it takes to get you.  He keeps it real.  That’s not for everyone.  We will see but I am comfortable with however it plays out because I think the staff will vet the issues.  

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I'm not so sure this is accurate regarding the zoom call. Mainly because we are still interested. I'm pretty sure he was almost ours until Howard promised him something. Unfortunately for him, admissions didnt let him in. Which is kind of hilarious. 

• Like 5

Well I’ll say we’re only getting MgBako for one year… let’s not ruin it with brining on Caleb Love. I’m surprised that many of you in here want him.. seems desperate to me. The kid had his chance and it didn’t work out. Wasn’t meant to happen. 

He is talented when he’s playing well but we need a pure shooter. Not a point guard that hogs the damn ball and shoots it 25 times or more a game. Sorry! He thought and was doing that shit at North Carolina.. who knows what he thinks he can get away with at IU. Kid doesn’t know how to reel it in, which is concerning since he’s going on his fourth year in college. 

No thanks! I want a dude who can spot up and run off screens and let it fly and is a team player. 

• Like 1

How do so many of you know so much about Caleb Love? We know zero about what truly went on there. Idc either way, crazy to just say "no, I don't want CL under any circumstances"

That is an awful recruiting strategy. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Leal isn't a shooter, by any stretch. 

Given that i've seen him play about 4 minutes of action in his career, i'd have to take your word for it.  but coming out of HS, wasn't that his whole gig?  I mean, how does it just disappear? there has to be some confidence left right?

15 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I'm not so sure this is accurate regarding the zoom call. Mainly because we are still interested. I'm pretty sure he was almost ours until Howard promised him something. Unfortunately for him, admissions didnt let him in. Which is kind of hilarious. 

It's possible that's the case I just know what I heard at the time of the zoom meeting. 

2 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

Given that i've seen him play about 4 minutes of action in his career, i'd have to take your word for it.  but coming out of HS, wasn't that his whole gig?  I mean, how does it just disappear? there has to be some confidence left right?

No it wasn't. That was something that was fabricated, I guess because he's not overly athletic and from Bloomington South? Idk. 

But he's never been a marksman. Maybe he can grow into that role? 

• Like 6

Just now, btownqb said:

No it wasn't. That was something that was fabricated, I guess because he's not overly athletic and from Bloomington South? Idk. 

But he's never been a marksman. Maybe he can grow into that role? 

I don't think AL is ever going to see the floor except on Senior Night.  Then he will move on with is life and probably make a ton of money in his career.  But it won't be from playing basketball.  

• Like 2

Compare Love's numbers, particularly his percentages and number of shots taken, to JHS. There are a lot of similarities. JHS shot more 2's and hit them at a lower clip. The only glaring difference is that Love shot roughly 4 more 3's per game and hit them at a slightly lower rate. There true shooting percentages (accounts for the fact that 3's are worth more) are almost identical. Just looking at the numbers, it seems like Love should shoot fewer 3's, but his numbers aren't those of some crazy out of control shooter. He's basically JHS who takes 2 steps back instead of shooting so many mid-ranged shots.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't think AL is ever going to see the floor except on Senior Night.  Then he will move on with is life and probably make a ton of money in his career.  But it won't be from playing basketball.  

you're almost certainly correct, but i root for the kid to get an opportunity. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

It will be because he PLAYED, though, but yeah I agree... AL has gone about this whole thing like a businessman. It's unique and smart. 

Living in Indiana, AL is set for life, he'll find a more than solid gig! 

2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Compare Love's numbers, particularly his percentages and number of shots taken, to JHS. There are a lot of similarities. JHS shot more 2's and hit them at a lower clip. The only glaring difference is that Love shot roughly 4 more 3's per game and hit them at a slightly lower rate. There true shooting percentages (accounts for the fact that 3's are worth more) are almost identical. Just looking at the numbers, it seems like Love should shoot fewer 3's, but his numbers aren't those of some crazy out of control shooter. He's basically JHS who takes 2 steps back instead of shooting so many mid-ranged shots.

Great post man. I thought much of the same. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's miles better than Devonte Green. 

I've watched both, and they share some common, on the court traits...

Poor shot selection

Sub 40% FG percentage (although Green, statistically, was a better 3 point shooter)

1-1 assist to TO ratio

And neither would be mistaken for Gary Payton on the defensive end...

That was the basis for the "Devonte Green 2.0" comment...

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How do so many of you know so much about Caleb Love? We know zero about what truly went on there. Idc either way, crazy to just say "no, I don't want CL under any circumstances"

That is an awful recruiting strategy. 

My comments were restricted to on the court...

Just now, btownqb said:

It will be because he PLAYED, though, but yeah I agree... AL has gone about this whole thing like a businessman. It's unique and smart. 

Living in Indiana, AL is set for life, he'll find a more than solid gig! 

Somewhat agree.  He got a degree from IU which isn't a small thing.  If he stays in Indiana, yes, being a former player is going to work out well for him.  Either way, glad he stuck it out and stay with the team the whole time.  He could have easily left and played for some smaller college.