Transfers with IU Interest

37 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Why didn't we see these comments about Ware? Hell his coach benched him and called him out for being lazy and not playing hard. No one was bashing him. Its because he committed.

There is a difference between lazy and being a ball hog.

Maybe there is the hope that lazy can be fixed easier.

Maybe Love is just being unfairly labeled because of his situation at UNC.  We'll see what Woodson decides (assuming Love even wants to come to IU).

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 2

No problem adding depth or even if Caleb Love earns the start. I don't know what happened at Carolina and I don't care. If our staff feels they can reign him in and be a key piece...I'm cool with going after him. 

With that said if we move on and our 2 position is Trey or some combination of Trey/MM or whatever I'm fine with that too. Trey improved so much this past year. I want him on the court as much as possible....on both ends. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

That may be easier said than done. Not sure what he provides us if he doesn’t want to fill the role we need.

It's really hard to know if a guy's usage is that high because he is selfish, if it's the way the team is coached, or you just don't have anyone else willing to step up and make things happen. I could probably tell on our teams because I'm watching every game, but I doubt anyone on this board watched enough UNC to really know what the cause is. 

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I trust the coaching staff, but my personal belief is that Love could cause chemistry issues. 

Now, if the coaching staff pursues him, I'll assume they have more information than I, and would have no problems with it.  That said, I would not be surprised if we really dont pursue.

Probably my stubborn side or whatever that is. He told us no once. He doesn't get another crack at us. I'd rather we draw a line in the sand for kids who have some question marks in their history.

With that said. What our staff has done since end of March is amazing. If they think it's time for Jimmy to start playing ball....I'll be down for it and this message will delete itself in 6 months.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Probably my stubborn side or whatever that is. He told us no once. He doesn't get another crack at us. I'd rather we draw a line in the sand for kids who have some question marks in their history.

With that said. What our staff has done since end of March is amazing. If they think it's time for Jimmy to start playing ball....I'll be down for it and this message will delete itself in 6 months.

Yep. One thing on the mental chart side that I don't see mentioned. He has had to of spent a lot of mental energy working to get into meatchicken and then have it pulled away from him. The mental let down of, I'm EFFING UNC level... I'm your savior, FEAR me.... and then being told NO. .... It'll take a long time to get your head straight... Or maybe back to wrong?

Either way, This may have been the biggest speed bump of his life (eff's a man up!) but What Woody decides, I'll flow with.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dawg Bawls said:

You know how hard it would be to come back and redo a show 40 yrs later... mind , body, spirit, kinda like redoing a basketball program for CMW i bet.

Who gets up this early, checks a board, and makes a post???  Oh, wait... never mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Since Caleb Love appears to be the only prospect above the surface right now, thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I don't have a problem with Love as a basketball player (although there's reason for concern regarding him as a "player" player).  I attribute his poor season more towards the dysfunctional NC offense.  Nor do I doubt the ability of CMW to get him to buy into an off-ball role and playing within a team concept.  If for whatever reason Love can't adapt or becomes a disruptive presence, there are simple remedies:  (1) bury him on the bench or (2) dismiss him.  I'm not worried about the optics of the worst case scenario because Love's negative reputation is widely known (whether deserved or not).

However, I still would prefer IU to pass on Love for two reasons:

1) We have 1 remaining scholarship and our only glaring need is a high percentage / moderate volume outside shooter.  I don't think that's Love's forte.

2) It's difficult to balance the minutes of 8-9 worthy players, never mind 13 players.  The jury is still out on Gunn and we haven't even seen Cupps and Newton in action yet.  I'd prefer to see the minutes Love would consume go to the development of these players (who could be important for maintaining some semblance of continuity next year).

Unless we are able to land a 1-year rental who fills the specific need of the current roster, I think we should bank the scholarship and play with 12 guys.  For what it's worth I'm higher than most on Galloway as the 5th scoring option, and the more I watch Cupps in-game-action the more I believe he has the physical and mental maturity to hold his own as a freshman.

Edited by olsontex
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, olsontex said:

Since Caleb Love appears to be the only prospect above the surface right now, thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I don't have a problem with Love as a basketball player (although there's reason for concern regarding him as a "player" player).  I attribute his poor season more towards the dysfunctional NC offense.  Nor do I doubt the ability of CMW to get him to buy into an off-ball role and playing within a team concept.  If for whatever reason Love can't adapt or becomes a disruptive presence, there are simple remedies:  (1) bury him on the bench or (2) dismiss him.  I'm not worried about the optics of the worst case scenario because Love's negative reputation is widely known (whether deserved or not).

1) We have 1 remaining scholarship and our only glaring need is a high percentage / moderate volume outside shooter.  I don't think that's Love's forte.

2) It's difficult to balance the minutes of 8-9 worthy players, never mind 13 players.  The jury is still out on Gunn and we haven't even seen Cupps and Newton in action yet.  I'd prefer to see the minutes Love would consume go to the development of these players (who could be important for maintaining some semblance of continuity next year).

Unless we are able to land a 1-year rental who fills the specific need of the current roster, I think we should bank the scholarship and play with 12 guys.  For what it's worth I'm higher than most on Galloway as the 5th scoring option, and the more I watch Cupps in-game-action the more I believe he has the physical and mental maturity to hold his own as a freshman.

#2 is a stark contrast to what I have seen most IU fans want. 

The bold I agree. 

A Top 6 of XJ, Love, TG, MM, Ware, and Malik is nasty though. sprinkle in Cupps, Banks, Walker, and Sparks. That is a DEEP Top 10. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

#2 is a stark contrast to what I have seen most IU fans want. 

The bold I agree. 

A Top 6 of XJ, Love, TG, MM, Ware, and Malik is nasty though. sprinkle in Cupps, Banks, Walker, and Sparks. That is a DEEP Top 10. 

Not saying this would be the case here, but deep doesnt necessarily always mean good. Meaning that list has a bunch of good players. But where is the great player(s). I remember IU having deep teams in the past but the season was mediocre because we didnt have that 1 guy.

I only say this, because we havent seen the product yet. There are players there that can be that great player and not just good.

• Like 3

We are already deep. The difference from playing for a B1G championship and second weekend in March is adding a legit shot making combo guard that can defend and simply running as is or adding a spot minute guy. We have a good team on paper now…at this point it’s swing for the fences and try to have a special team.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Not saying this would be the case here, but deep doesnt necessarily always mean good. Meaning that list has a bunch of good players. But where is the great player(s). I remember IU having deep teams in the past but the season was mediocre because we didnt have that 1 guy.

I only say this, because we havent seen the product yet. There are players there that can be that great player and not just good.

By having a true 9-10 rotation, you can lessen the need for that. 

Idk that I would consider any of FAUs dudes great, but again.. those teams come at you in waves. I can't think of a time when deep didn't mean good, though, especially when used the right way. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Hello Cam Spencer? 

All day:

"On the court, the 6-foot-4 Spencer delivered 13.2 points, 3.8 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.0 steals per game while shooting .434 from deep and .894 from the free-throw line in 2022-23. His game-winning shots at top-ranked Purdue and eventual Big Ten runner-up Northwestern were the Scarlet Knights’ biggest highlights."

"In regard to last season’s Rutgers team, Spencer led the team in minutes played (1074) and was third in minutes per game (31.6). He tied Cliff Omoruyi for scoring average at 13.2 points per game, but fell one point short for the team lead with 448 points. In addition to being second in steals, he was also second in assists behind Paul Mulcahy in averaging 3.1 per game. Lastly, Cam was also second to Mulcahy with a 2.3 assist-to-turnover ratio."

"Just as much as his impact on the court, Spencer fit the program’s culture extremely well. He lived in the gym, was a total team player and cared about winning above all else."
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, olsontex said:

Excellent post.