Transfers with IU Interest

18 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm not sure I see us going after him. 

"Returning to UNC is not on the table, I'm told."  Norlander

Yeah...that speaks volumes to me.  Sounds like bridges were burned.  As I said earlier, I suspect we'll know clearly what Coach Woodson thinks of Caleb Love very soon.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah...that speaks volumes to me.  Sounds like bridges were burned.  As I said earlier, I suspect we'll know clearly what Coach Woodson thinks of Caleb Love very soon.

I read that more as he doesn't want to go back, not that he wouldn't be welcome.

Adding him seems to raise our ceiling, but maybe also lowers our floor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He’s probably not used to any form of academic standards, having coming from UNC.  

Don't laugh, IU doesn't require students to take the SAT or ACT to get in anymore. Only in Kelly and Music school. To be more diverse allowing more inter city kids. 3 years in a row record numbers of Freshman. Degrees from IU are meaning less and less each year.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I trust CMW on Caleb…he can probably get a good read on him and know if he can get him to buy in and be a team player or not. 

Yes I Love how we always take a vote like we have a say in it...lol. People act like they know a kid from watching a game on TV. I don't remember hearing about him getting arrested for driving 95 on a city street, get suspended for smoking weed or almost killing a teammate hitting them with his car while drunk. I'll let Woody judge the character of the kids he brings in.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Don't laugh, IU doesn't require students to take the SAT or ACT to get in anymore. Only in Kelly and Music school. To be more diverse allowing more inter city kids. 3 years in a row record numbers of Freshman. Degrees from IU are meaning less and less each year.

The not needing SAT thing is continuing at most but the top end schools. Even some very well respected schools are going forward with that. 

It lost its ability to define truly good students when rich parents paid for prep classes weekly for months on end. Not uncommon for really poor students to kill the SAT now with them basically getting test answers. It is now just studying for a test and not learned knowledge 

yes. IU has some “standards” on transfers to the Crean comment but nowhere near Michigan. Michigan is way up there on standards. 

Edited by Initial79
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

If you left why would you go back? Speaks nothing to me. It would be like us taking Tamar back, why would we. If Woody wants him great, if he doesn't, great. I'm sure they probably have moved on and are talking to others by now.

My bet, and well could be wrong, we have had a list like Rayj (who is visiting all kinds of places now), some in the draft etc. but…. if someone like TrillyDonovan knew this wasn’t going to work at Michigan weeks ago, I am sure our staff knew too. 

so… we will know quickly as others have said. This will end the debate on if we “lost him” or we backed away. If we liked him before, we could have stayed in touch and just been waiting. Missouri doesn’t have the need anymore either. 

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Not true: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/indiana-university-bloomington-1809 And a lot of schools are moving away from standardized tests to get into school. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

14 minutes ago, Indykev said:

If you left why would you go back? Speaks nothing to me. It would be like us taking Tamar back, why would we. If Woody wants him great, if he doesn't, great. I'm sure they probably have moved on and are talking to others by now.

Lots of examples of players going into the portal and then staying at their old school...IF their old school still wanted them.  Numerous players have went into the portal, looked around and stayed put.  With Caleb Love, there's plenty of chatter in UNC fan forums that fans didn't want him back.  That may or may not reflect how the coaching staff felt, but I could see the bridge being burned from their perspective.

IU wouldn't take Tamar Bates back because he wasn't good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Lots of examples of players going into the portal and then staying at their old school...IF their old school still wanted them.  Numerous players have went into the portal, looked around and stayed put.  With Caleb Love, there's plenty of chatter in UNC fan forums that fans didn't want him back.  That may or may not reflect how the coaching staff felt, but I could see the bridge being burned from their perspective.

IU wouldn't take Tamar Bates back because he wasn't good.

I’m not aware of a high profile transfer committing to another school and then returning, but maybe it’s happened. It seems like a lot of players who test the portal and then return occur after  a coaching change.

12 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

I tried telling you guys before. We were very close to getting him the first time. I was near certain he was ours. Guess we will see what happens this time around. 

This being said, at this moment in time I'm not sure I want him. Would he mesh with our guys? The talent is obvious. But after getting Mack, I feel like all our guys are going to bond nicely. Would Love screw that up? Not sure Woodson would allow that to happen, but I guess we will see. 

Ill take him, I guess. But at the same time I wouldnt mind if he went somewhere else.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, KDB said:

Did any other school get a visit from Love?

I keep hearing: don’t even begin to get excited about a recruit unless he visits campus. We only got as far as a Zoom call with Love. So, was there something on either his or our side that threw water on the recruitment? 

This list seems like a guess. From IU’s perspective, just because there was interest before, doesn’t mean there’s interest now. It’s like you went on a blind date with a crazy chick, it didn’t go great (from one or both parties perspective), she went on to date other guys, found another guy, got engaged, broke off the engagement, and now you’re back in the running to be her new fiancé? 

…I don’t know. If there was a red flag from either party the first time around, which stopped the pursuit of this ‘marriage’, that red flag most likely still exists. If anything, Love is now going to get a lot less touches on offense…..I can’t imagine that would be a good thing from his perspective. 

• Like 5

Not sure what to think about Love and IU connection again.... 2 main thoughts

Love to IU was supposed to be all but a done deal earlier. Then the zoom call happened, and then completely fell off the table. What happened? Did Woody not like how the conversation went? Did Love not like Woody telling him that he has a roll on the team and it is not to be an inefficient ball hog? idk. It appear to be the latter since IU has interest again?

Two,  dont think Love is the missing piece. The talent on this team would be crazy. But, the egos would also be and hard to handle. I dont think Love is a positive effect on that. With that we would probably be quite high in preseason rankings and such, but i dont think we would ever meet those expectations with Love. 

However, Woody has not done a single thing for me to question his personnel decisions, so if he want Love, so do I....I suppose.

• Like 5