Transfers with IU Interest

54 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This just feels like a long way of saying we want a local kid with good measurables to do well. Which I agree with, but we don’t win games with hope and optimism, we win with basketball players and CJ has a long way to go there.

Again, rooting for CJ, but I also hope we aren’t counting on him at this point. I personally trust that the coaches like what they see in Newton and Cupps as backup guards and I do think we will add another guard still.

Hart means more than that. He’s a good addition late in the process. Probably a little underrated. This also helps in keeping good standing with Indiana coaches and recruits. Shows woody does care about local recruits. I was against it until I thought more about it. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

This just feels like a long way of saying we want a local kid with good measurables to do well. Which I agree with, but we don’t win games with hope and optimism, we win with basketball players and CJ has a long way to go there.

Again, rooting for CJ, but I also hope we aren’t counting on him at this point. I personally trust that the coaches like what they see in Newton and Cupps as backup guards and I do think we will add another guard still.

Let’s not recruit freshman anymore. Because if we are willing to write off a 3 star rated recruit based on his freshman stats, let’s just go portaging every year. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Let’s not recruit freshman anymore. Because if we are willing to write off a 3 star rated recruit based on his freshman stats, let’s just go portaging every year. 

Not sure anyone is writing him off.   People are just not willing to count on him making major strides.

Anyway, I think the staff should just get as much talent as they can whether it be HS or portal and let the competition in practice sort things out...which seems to be what they are doing.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I don't believe his rating really matters, either way. Just more of what he showed on the court is our worry. He looked really bad. 

I do think he'll somewhat have a better handle on the defensive end this year... but he has a long way to go offensively to helping us. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

I know nothing but I read the NBA doesn’t want the one and done to go away because they don’t want to recruit high school players! The portal changes things. I’m imagining a conversation something like ‘son, I don’t BS we like what you’re bringing but I’m here to win championships this year. I brought you in to let you know we are very interested, but you need to develop more. We’ll help you with that however we can. Just letting you know in a year or two with the portal we are still interested. Now here’s coach to give you a tour!’

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I assume he wants more PT upfront than what we could give, and that was mostly a non starter. 

Most likely. This is also why I disagree with those saying we need a game changer with the last scholarship. 

We don't have the PT available for that. What we need is the guard version of Anthony Walker. 

An experienced guard, preferably a 5th year guy, that we can rely on in spots if needed or if we're not getting much from Cupps/Gunn/Newton, but that also 100% understands and accepts his role on the team. 

Edit: Go find a Rob Phinisee type but with a reliable jumper and call it a day. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Most likely. This is also why I disagree with those saying we need a game changer with the last scholarship. 

We don't have the PT available for that. What we need is the guard version of Anthony Walker. 

An experienced guard, preferably a 5th year guy, that we can rely on in spots if needed or if we're not getting much from Cupps/Gunn/Newton, but that also 100% understands and accepts his role on the team. 

We're on the same wave length. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't believe his rating really matters, either way. Just more of what he showed on the court is our worry. He looked really bad. 

I do think he'll somewhat have a better handle on the defensive end this year... but he has a long way to go offensively to helping us. 

Right. We’ve had plenty of three stars that had limited roles as freshman but they showed a lot more potential.

It certainly isn’t impossible for Gunn to still have a strong career and strong year next year, but it would take a big leap from what we saw last year and it’s far from a good bet that he will make it. I wouldn’t be willing to be the success of my job on that if I was Mike Woodson. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Right. We’ve had plenty of three stars that had limited roles as freshman but they showed a lot more potential.

It certainly isn’t impossible for Gunn to still have a strong career and strong year next year, but it would take a big leap from what we saw last year and it’s far from a good bet that he will make it. I wouldn’t be willing to be the success of my job on that if I was Mike Woodson. 

What is funny @ledies22? You want to try a real response instead of a straw man and then laughing?

You seem to be bullish on Gunn, so how about some real expectations of what we can count on for him next year. What do you think he’s going to do man?

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I kind of disagree here. I would love to get another player who could push Trey to the 6th man off the bench.  It would mean we got a talented gamer for the 2/3 and have the 6th man of the year on the bench coming off first.  I love trey but i would love it more if he was coming first off the bench.  

• Like 2

Barring a substantial upgrade, I'd be fine with them pocketing the open scholarship. I certainly wouldn't want them to lock into a mediocre player for 2 or more seasons after seeing what they can do in the portal.

That scholarship is worth more than a two or three star player that brings little to the table. Plus, I'd like to see what Banks and CJ can do after another summer under their belts.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Barring a substantial upgrade, I'd be fine with them pocketing the open scholarship. I certainly wouldn't want them to lock into a mediocre player for 2 or more seasons after seeing what they can do in the portal.

That scholarship is worth more than a two or three star player that brings little to the table. Plus, I'd like to see what Banks and CJ can do after another summer under their belts.

You mean, like Joey Hart.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I kind of disagree here. I would love to get another player who could push Trey to the 6th man off the bench.  It would mean we got a talented gamer for the 2/3 and have the 6th man of the year on the bench coming off first.  I love trey but i would love it more if he was coming first off the bench.  

I hear you and have had that thought as well. My concern at this point, and hopefully Mgbako is the answer, but who is that guard/wing scorer who can get us buckets in big moments when we need it? 

I understand thinking someone that serves that role and pushes Galloway to the bench is a way to go with that. 

We all just watched the NCAA Tournament a couple of months ago and the teams that were advancing were the teams that had multiple guards and wings that were three-level scorers. Multiple guys that could score and create. It was clear IU needs more of that. 

So I hear you. 

With that said, I'm not sure we can realistically find the player that pushes Galloway to the bench. 

The reality is that we have a 6th year point guard and our wings are a McDonald's All-American and a 4th year returning senior that played 28mpg. 

Take the Spencer kid from Rutgers. He played 32mpg last year. There was no way to sell him that he would slide right into our lineup. Maybe from a talent perspective he would push Galloway to the bench, but you're still not going to able to convince him that he wouldn't be platooning in that spot. 

Getting a "stud" to push Galloway to the bench is a really hard sell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I hear you and have had that thought as well. My concern at this point, and hopefully Mgbako is the answer, but who is that guard/wing scorer who can get us buckets in big moments when we need it? 

I understand thinking someone that serves that role and pushes Galloway to the bench is a way to go with that. 

We all just watched the NCAA Tournament a couple of months ago and the teams that were advancing were the teams that had multiple guards and wings that were three-level scorers. Multiple guys that could score and create. It was clear IU needs more of that. 

So I hear you. 

With that said, I'm not sure we can realistically find the player that pushes Galloway to the bench. 

The reality is that we have a 6th year point guard and our wings are a McDonald's All-American and a 4th year returning senior that played 28mpg. 

Take the Spencer kid from Rutgers. He played 32mpg last year. There was no way to sell him that he would slide right into our lineup. Maybe from a talent perspective he would push Galloway to the bench, but you're still not going to able to convince him that he wouldn't be platooning in that spot. 

Getting a "stud" to push Galloway to the bench is a really hard sell. 

It really depends on the guy.  Galloway wasn't a starter until X went out last year.  He can also play all three guard/wing spots.  With 120 mins, how much are realistically available?

X 30 max at full speed

Galloway 25 at full speed

MM 25 

Banks hopefully ready for 20, maybe even some time at the 4.  

Gunn?, Newton?, Cupps?  Who really knows.  But a guy like Caleb Love isn't afraid of getting those mins at the 2.  

The jam up looks to be at the 3 and little to no need for a lead ball handler assuming X stays healthy and Cupps is good for 10 mins along with Galloway.  

I have no clue who we will be able to pull off at this point.