Transfers with IU Interest

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Not at all. But there comes a time when you have to start trusting your own recruiting and give the kids who have time invested in IU basketball their chance. We sign 2 more, and discounting Leal (and you don't know how bad it pains me to say that) you have 12 kids fighting for spots in a rotation that would probably be 10 max. As I said, we all saw how hard it was for Ohio State to meld veterans, portal transfers, and freshmen. It didn't work out well for them, did it?

But we don't yet know if they are better, do we?

I think @MoyeCowbell's 1st commandment applies here...

It’s normal to have a full roster. I can’t believe we would advocate against that.

And Gunn was an Archie recruit, FWIW.

Lastly, it’s up to Woodson to decide who is better. If he thinks he can improve the team, it’s his job to do so. He’s clearly still out there recruiting, so what does that tell you?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Should be, no? I would assume the staff has aspirations of winning the B10. Staff is clearly targeting starting caliber guard/wings in the portal and just offered Mgbako.

Wait… so you tell me they are targeting talent and wings? So you are coming around. 😳

7 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

That would be a dream scenario, not sure how likely. If Woody and the crew pulled that off, colored me impressed. 

It will be those 2 or Mgbako and Dennis. Back up options for my there. That is the level of guys they want. 

I would put it over more likely than more likely not. Something I said in another thread, the competition here for these guys is not that hard. St Johns, Louisville (mess), Illinois, etc (I think Kansas is a no go. IU wins those match ups in all areas. 

always possible it doesn’t work out but I personally feel good about these final 2 being very good.

side note - I agree with IUFLA - I think too many are discounting chemistry, the need to not upset recruits or you also burn bridges with HS coaches, new recruits etc. I feel ok about it though because I don’t think Woody just promises things. The entire team will know it comes down to who practices the best. Look at how hard he was on Malik early on last year. He didn’t just play him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Why would you think that was directed at you? If I was directing that at your comment I would have quoted you.

Chill man.

Because I am the one who said that very vocally while most all disagreed. Good thing is we don’t have that worry for any of these guys right now. IU competes well. 

1 hour ago, Initial79 said:

Wait… so you tell me they are targeting talent and wings? So you are coming around. 😳

Targeting and identifying talent has never been an issue with this staff. Was never my gripe.

Getting them to commit however is a completely different story. Landing Dingle and/or Mgbako would go a longggg way in the grand scheme of things. But let’s wait until the ball clears the fence before we bat flip.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Targeting and identifying talent has never been an issue with this staff. Was never my gripe.

Getting them to commit however is a completely different story. Landing Dingle and/or Mgbako would go a longggg way in the grand scheme of things. But let’s wait until the ball clears the fence before we bat flip.

I’m looking forward to your apology tour 🤣

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Initial79 said:

I think too many are discounting chemistry, the need to not upset recruits or you also burn bridges with HS coaches, new recruits etc. I feel ok about it though because I don’t think Woody just promises things. The entire team will know it comes down to who practices the best. Look at how hard he was on Malik early on last year. He didn’t just play him. 

Agreed. Woody has to find a balance, and I trust him to...

As for the bolded, I don't think he does either... I think he tells them they'll have a chance to compete... That's why I personally think Mgbako is a longshot... He got out of his NLI with Duke because Kyle Filipowski came back... He wants minutes...

If we get him, fine...

But no frothing or losing of s*** here 🙂

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agreed. Woody has to find a balance, and I trust him to...

As for the bolded, I don't think he does either... I think he tells them they'll have a chance to compete... That's why I personally think Mgbako is a longshot... He got out of his NLI with Duke because Kyle Filipowski came back... He wants minutes...

If we get him, fine...

But no frothing or losing of s*** here 🙂

I’d think that Mgkabo would get a lot of minutes, and if what the staff says is true about the style of play, he should be pitched as being our go to scorer. 

I know Gallo is going to get a lot of minutes, but Gallo can go 2/3 and Mgkabo can also slide into the 4.

I’m far from saying he’s a lock, but I don’t think it’s because of a lack of minutes. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’d think that Mgkabo would get a lot of minutes,

Based on? Highlight reels? Can he play defense?

My point was, if I know Woody, he'll have to compete for minutes, and he's already kinda ducked that once... 30 minutes after Filipowski said he was coming back, Mgbako posted he wanted out of his NLI...

Coincidence? Maybe...

🤔 

Look, as I said, if we get him, fine... But @MoyeCowbell's commandments 2 & 3 apply here... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My point was, if I know Woody, he'll have to compete for minutes, and he's already kinda ducked that once... 30 minutes after Filipowski said he was coming back, Mgbako posted he wanted out of his NLI...

Coincidence? Maybe...

🤔

Look, as I said, if we get him, fine... But @MoyeCowbell's commandments 2 & 3 apply here... 

When you have 5* by your name that means you are a sure fire All-American.

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Coincidence? Maybe...

🤔

I’d say based on the fact that he’s the 7th overall ranked player in his class, a physical specimen, a McDonalds All-America and will fit perfectly into the gaping hole we have in our roster. Doubts about Fino’s playing time next to X were speculated at this time last year and he played an average of 33 minutes per game. 

I understand there may be misses on top 10 recruits rankings, but it’s not the norm. 

I also understand the he’ll have to earn his minutes. 

But the minutes are there for his taking. It’s not like we have a Flipowski on our roster playing in his desired role. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’d say based on the fact that he’s the 7th overall ranked player in his class, a physical specimen, a McDonalds All-America and will fit perfectly into the gaping hole we have in our roster. Doubts about Fino’s playing time next to X were speculated at this time last year and he played an average of 33 minutes per game. 

I understand there may be misses on top 10 recruits rankings, but it’s not the norm. 

I also understand the he’ll have to earn his minutes. 

But the minutes are there for his taking. It’s not like we have a Flipowski on our roster playing in his desired role. 

Here is the NBA Draft net evaluation... 

Here are his high school stats... 17 ppg... 

He's got potential just like a lot of kids do, but I'm not going to anoint him just yet... 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Coincidence? Maybe...

🤔

Ok. But, if he doesn't "duck" that.... we wouldn't have the opportunity to get him. 

It's 100% a good thing, no matter how you cut it, that he decided Duke wasn't the spot for him.  

You cannot hold that against him in any way shape or form, in my eyes. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He's got potential just like a lot of kids do, but I'm not going to anoint him just yet... 

Those are great references. He’s projected as a mid-first rounder in the 2024 draft in one of those links. The point is, there’s not a congestion of minutes on our roster at the 3. He will get minutes. If he can’t get minutes on our roster, he won’t be able to get them on any roster….at least a roster that considers themselves competitive. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I wouldn't take those stats as everything. HSs do a poor job, at times, of updating those. Especially if it's not on MaxPreps. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok. But, if he doesn't "duck" that.... we wouldn't have the opportunity to get him. 

It's 100% a good thing, no matter how you cut it, that he decided Duke wasn't the spot for him.  

I didn't... My point is, let's not act like he's a savior and "lose our s***" if we don't get him... I trust Woody and his staff to do what's best for our team

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Those are great references. He’s projected as a mid-first rounder in the 2024 draft in one of those links. The point is, there’s not a congestion of minutes on our roster at the 3. He will get minutes. If he can’t get minutes on our roster, he won’t be able to get them on any roster….at least a roster that considers themselves competitive. 

Did you read the "weaknesses" particularly from 3 in Nike play? I'm not sure those are good numbers for a 3... 

To be honest, if minutes are the prime consideration, I'd expect St Johns to be the most promising spot for him. 

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not... But I saw the same thing with Skyy Clark last year... 

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I wouldn't take those stats as everything. HSs do a poor job, at times, of updating those. Especially if it's not on MaxPreps. 

Come on man... You know I respect your opinion a lot, but don't dismiss the stats simply because they don't fit the narrative... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Did you read the "weaknesses" particularly from 3 in Nike play? I'm not sure those are good numbers for a 3... 

To be honest, if minutes are the prime consideration, I'd expect St Johns to be the most promising spot for him. 

That definitely is a good point, which will take us back to the 3/4 debate. Yes, if he wants to play the 4 and Woody is selling him on the 4, then I agree that minutes may be limited. 

However, everything I heard is that we are selling him on the 3. Now whether the staff thinks he can play on the wing effectively and IF Mgkabo wants to play in more of a 3’s role is something I don’t know. I’m just speculating because he agreed to visit. 

I can only read tea leaves, and based on that, I don’t think he’d visit if our staff wants to play him solely at the 4. So, I agree that scenario would be a long shot. That just doesn’t make much sense for either party, IMO.

• Like 2