On 4/11/2023 at 8:39 PM, thirdgenhoosier said:

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the softball team recently won 22 in a row to set a program record, now sits at 31-11, and I believe are sitting in second place in the conference.  

Yes. I've noticed for sure. This crew is top 30 in the RPI, as well... I assume we are well on our way to a tourney bid. Take care of business the last month of the season.  

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 8:39 PM, thirdgenhoosier said:

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the softball team recently won 22 in a row to set a program record, now sits at 31-11, and I believe are sitting in second place in the conference.  

I didnt realize Taryn Kern (FR).. leads the country in HRs. 

• 3 weeks later...

IU softball finished the season with sweeps over Rutgers, Michigan, and Michigan St.  They finished with a final record of 40-15, 18-5 in conference play.

Northwestern won the conference at 20-3.  IU finished alone in second.

They take on the winner of Michigan v Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament at Illinois.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

What would make the best player on a good team want to leave? I guess to be closer to home (California)?  I can’t imagine there is much NIL money for women’s softball no matter where you end up…

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

What would make the best player on a good team want to leave? I guess to be closer to home (California)?  I can’t imagine there is much NIL money for women’s softball no matter where you end up…

My guess is her options have opened up to more established programs.  Just a guess.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

My guess is her options have opened up to more established programs.  Just a guess.

But what does that get you? There is only one national champion….that is Oklahoma every year. The rest of the ncaa is basically a tier below. IU has a good team why leave for basically an equally good team. It’s not like it’s going to raise her draft status to go to a different school. So you are willing to leave all your teammates and friends that you just made having a legendary season to go to another team…my point is for what? I suppose if it’s to be closer to home I would get it but otherwise it’s a lateral move that has no real payoff. You would give up all your friends and teammates for that?

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

But what does that get you? There is only one national champion….that is Oklahoma every year. The rest of the ncaa is basically a tier below. IU has a good team why leave for basically an equally good team. It’s not like it’s going to raise her draft status to go to a different school. So you are willing to leave all your teammates and friends that you just made having a legendary season to go to another team…my point is for what? I suppose if it’s to be closer to home I would get it but otherwise it’s a lateral move that has no real payoff. You would give up all your friends and teammates for that?

The same reason we think players from xyz mid-tier college should want to play at IU for men's basketball...the history, the fans, etc.  My niece played softball at IU and graduated recently.  She loved her time there, but if a traditional powerhouse would have been open to her, I am pretty sure she would have went. When it comes to softball, just like baseball, the warm weather schools are king. 

Competitors want to not only play for, with, and against the best, they also want to play in front of fans, etc.  For the most part in women's sports (sans basketball), college athletics is the pinnacle of their sports career. Midwest schools in softball and baseball, still spend lots of the early part of the season traveling due to weather (which I why I have always felt the seasons should be pushed back). 

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...