2024 SF - Annor Boateng Commits to Mizzou

rico

8 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I'm not worrying until there's reason to do so, but one does start to wonder if this staff is making the perfect the enemy of the good.

We missed on a lot of 2023 targets - even guys who were very interested like Coen Carr - with the story being that the staff was focusing attention on the more talented 2024 class. Now, in the late stages of the 2024 cycle, we're sitll turning our attention away from top 50 talents like Swartz and Jaeden Mustaf.

Chasing difference makers is great! Understanding you won't get all of them, you have to make the effort first, and I appreciate the staff getting us into those conversation. We should be battling with Kansas for recruits year in and year out. But you need players around those high end talents, and top 50 kids are the sweet spot for players who will contribute to the program for multiple seasons. 

The transfer portal certainly changes the emphasis on prep recruiting, but in the moment it feels there's been opportunity missed to upgrade the talent in the program, even if that talent isn't the top of our wish list.

I get your point but there’s cause and effect to everything. In the case of Carr would you rather IU have Carr or Mgbako? In this day and age of recruiting late spring recruiting and portal recruiting is just as important as HS early signing period recruiting. If IU lands 1 or 2 guys that are top 30 guys in the early period I’ll take that going into the spring. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I get your point but there’s cause and effect to everything. In the case of Carr would you rather IU have Carr or Mgbako? In this day and age of recruiting late spring recruiting and portal recruiting is just as important as HS early signing period recruiting. If IU lands 1 or 2 guys that are top 30 guys in the early period I’ll take that going into the spring. 

Yeah, it's entirely likely the staff has just adapted better to the new portal reality than I have. They're doing the job day in and day out and I'm just an anxious fan. Still, process over result. A lot had to go right for us to catch Mgbako, circumstances that won't necessarily repeat each cycle. Forget Carr, if Ledlum commits maybe that keeps Mgbako away. 

We've landed highly ranked targets every spring. But we also head into the season with questions about our guard play after missing on several transfers. The portal isn't a shopping list where we can pick and choose what we need. It might be good to take guys who can help the program when you can, and leave fewer holes to plug in portal season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Yeah, it's entirely likely the staff has just adapted better to the new portal reality than I have. They're doing the job day in and day out and I'm just an anxious fan. Still, process over result. A lot had to go right for us to catch Mgbako, circumstances that won't necessarily repeat each cycle. Forget Carr, if Ledlum commits maybe that keeps Mgbako away. 

We've landed highly ranked targets every spring. But we also head into the season with questions about our guard play after missing on several transfers. The portal isn't a shopping list where we can pick and choose what we need. It might be good to take guys who can help the program when you can, and leave fewer holes to plug in portal season.

Everyone is selling Cupps short.  He may not give you everything that you want at pg...but he will still be solid, imho.  He can hit a jump shot, make a correct pass, defend adequately.  Knight played freshmen... lots of times.  Quit worrying.  Coach Woodson knows what he's doing!   

• Like 1