2025 guard Kiyan Anthony (Carmelo's son)

• 1 month later...

Kiyan this week about Indiana:

(background: Mike Woodson coached his dad Carmelo Anthony at the NY Knicks.)

“I used to be the little kid in the locker room, running around, when he was coaching my dad. (Woodson) is like a mentor to me, more than anything. If I do go to Indiana, it’s going to be great. I feel like he would put me in positions to score. He will build around me, get players that do what I do, score and also shoot the ball, defend. I’m just ready for him to reach out to me on June 15th and we will go from there.” 

"If I do go to Indiana, it's going to be great." - I love that.  This coaching staff is awesome.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Kiyan this week about Indiana:

(background: Mike Woodson coached his dad Carmelo Anthony at the NY Knicks.)

“I used to be the little kid in the locker room, running around, when he was coaching my dad. (Woodson) is like a mentor to me, more than anything. If I do go to Indiana, it’s going to be great. I feel like he would put me in positions to score. He will build around me, get players that do what I do, score and also shoot the ball, defend. I’m just ready for him to reach out to me on June 15th and we will go from there.” 

"If I do go to Indiana, it's going to be great." - I love that.  This coaching staff is awesome.

Wow that is as ringing an endorsement as you can have! Funny ESPN had a quick update that Syracuse was recruiting him….lol. Sounds like they should change that…certainly not a lock to go to Syracuse.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wow that is as ringing an endorsement as you can have! Funny ESPN had a quick update that Syracuse was recruiting him….lol. Sounds like they should change that…certainly not a lock to go to Syracuse.

During the HH podcast, Mgbako said talking to Carmelo was one of the factors that led him to Coach Woodson and IU...

Carmelo loved playing for Woody

• Like 5

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

During the HH podcast, Mgbako said talking to Carmelo was one of the factors that led him to Coach Woodson and IU...

Carmelo loved playing for Woody

In the world of relationships, that carries so much weight.

Obviously Boeheim's retirement possibly changed Melo's dynamic with Syracuse, but regardless, he certainly has talked up Woodson (and default IU) about as well as anyone. He's one of the biggest/most positive, vocal, non-alumni supporters of the program. His reverence and residual presence in NYC gives us a 'phantom recruiter' in that metro area, which is absolutely enormous.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Top-40 2025 guard Kiyan Anthony planning to visit Indiana

10-time NBA all-star Carmelo Anthony's son offered in May. 

“For me as a player, I had some of my best NBA years under Mike Woodson,” Carmelo said.

Current IU forward Mackenzie Mgbako consulted Carmelo regarding Woodson when he was considering Indiana during his recruitment. 

Former IU star Trayce Jackson-Davis did the same when IU hired Woodson.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/2025-guard-kiyan-anthony-planning-to-visit-iu-basketball/

ka hsn.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...