The best team that didn't win it.

On 7/21/2023 at 4:21 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

It doesn't really get mentioned much (other than the Jordan factor), but that may have been one of the biggest upsets in tournament history. That UNC group (plus Doherty) against Alford and Marty Simmons as freshman, Blab, Giomi,  Stew Robinson and Dakich.  It was magical watching Dakich switch on Jordan, Perkins, Smith and Daugherty  :coffee:

It was a HUGE upset.  It really doesn't get mentioned enough.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Kansas definitely had the best player in the history of basketball (my opinion) but UNC was a better, more well rounded team...And they were undefeated...

I wasn’t there lol…so only going by reports. The game was in Kansas City, Kansas had the best player, they were 3 pt favorites, and beat defending champions. Basically UNC went to hack a Shaq and won in triple overtime. Maybe not a huge upset but I count it an upset the team with the most dominant player in the history of the game was beaten on their home floor basically.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So to kind of flip this…is Houston the greatest program to never win a national championship in basketball?? 

I mean I know we have an obvious example that will get thrown out right away but the Cougars have had some pretty epic teams/players to not win it all.

Houston has been to 6 Final Fours.  Houston is a school that got screwed in early conference alignments.  Until now, they have been dormant for a while.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rico said:

Houston has been to 6 Final Fours.  Houston is a school that got screwed in early conference alignments.  Until now, they have been dormant for a while.  

Definitely having a resurgence. Phi slama jama team was only held back by coaching. Heck 68 team with Elvin Hayes had the unfortunate timing of play Lew Alcindor and UCLA at their peak.