Role players

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Probably because how the season started and the moves that Coach Knight made (still think it was his best ever coaching job) I'll nominate Brian Sloan as the ultimate role player even though he started.

I agree that 89 was one of if not the best coaching job RMK had at IU. You look at our talent compared to UI and UM there is no way we should have won the Big Ten.

• Like 3

Jim Crews. I believe he started with Buckner as a freshman and then went to the bench when Wilkerson became a starter. I think he was the player who tipped the ball to Benson against Michigan to preserve the undefeated season. Of course, I could be wrong about everything.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Jim Crews. I believe he started with Buckner as a freshman and then went to the bench when Wilkerson became a starter. I think he was the player who tipped the ball to Benson against Michigan to preserve the undefeated season. Of course, I could be wrong about everything.

That's how I remember it too... 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 3:16 PM, Seeking6 said:

Probably because how the season started and the moves that Coach Knight made (still think it was his best ever coaching job) I'll nominate Brian Sloan as the ultimate role player even though he started.

Dr. Brian Sloan/Sloan Screen 45 just retired from emergency medicine here in Indy.  True team player.  

On 7/22/2023 at 5:04 PM, cthomas said:

Correct (I was there).    😁

• Like 2

Trey Galloway is a good role player.

I thought the 2013 team lacked "role players"... Elston would have been great in that role, but couldn't stay healthy. 

Since then.. Hartman, Juwan Morgan+OG were fun as role players as FR... OG shutting down Jamaal Murray is still fantastic. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Kaleb Banks fits into this mold, at least this season. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Trey Galloway is a good role player.

I thought the 2013 team lacked "role players"... Elston would have been great in that role, but couldn't stay healthy. 

Since then.. Hartman, Juwan Morgan+OG were fun as role players as FR... OG shutting down Jamaal Murray is still fantastic. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Kaleb Banks fits into this mold, at least this season. 

Banks is going to be a stud

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Laskowski and Abernathy (until he started in 76, but to be honest, he was a role player even then as well...and a damned good one)...

starter/non-starter shouldn't define who is a role player and isn't, imo... 

What I know about Abernathy and the 76 team... I think he is absolutely a role player, and I would argue Wilkerson was too. To me it's the types of things they are willing to do to help their team succeed. We > Me

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

starter/non-starter shouldn't define who is a role player and isn't, imo... 

What I know about Abernathy and the 76 team... I think he is absolutely a role player, and I would argue Wilkerson was too. 

I agree with all of that...I'd say last year Kopp and Race were role players...

• Like 3