Thanksgiving Week Activities

5fouls

Favorite Thanksgiving Week Activity  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite thing about Thanksgiving week?

• Eating a big Thanksgiving meal
    • Gathering with friends and family
    • 'Feast Week' college basketball tournaments
    • Black Friday shopping
    • Turkey Day NFL games
    • Time off work
    • College football rivalry games
    • Getting an early start on Christmas decorations
    • An opportunity to walk through town dressed as a Pilgrim
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/27/2023 at 04:45 AM

My mom and dad divorced when I was 4. Both remarried in 1989.  After 16 years of 4 Thanksgivings and 4 Christmas' then meeting my wife in 2006 and adding 2 more I was thoroughly burned out.  Although with grandparents passing and parents and cousins becoming grandparents themselves it's slowed down. 

We will rotate family events throughout the year but Thanksgiving we typically keep for ourselves. We make our own food, whatever we want and eat whenever it's done or when we feel like it. It's all about the food, watching Planes Trains and Automobiles then Christmas Vacation. 

Here is a summary of our holiday travel experience yesterday. I will never fly around Thanksgiving again, at least while I am working and I have time constraints. So while gathering with family was my choice, flying cross country is not!

-Rained the whole drive to Detroit 
- Our 12:15 flight did not leave Detroit until 4:00. We sat on the tarmac for over an hour in a plane with no air conditioning before they finally announced the pilots who were supposed to fly us could not. We had to wait for another crew to arrive and then wait for them to do all their pre-flight checks. We reboarded around 3:15 and sat until they were ready to leave-45 minutes.
- Rained the entire drive from Seattle to Bellingham 
-Road to get to the Air BnB was closed so had to take a detour-in the dark and in the rain.
- We should have been here around 5:00. Were supposed to have dinner with the kids. Got in around 9:15.

Only positive is that Delta sent us a $200 voucher each for our next flight because of the problems

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Here is a summary of our holiday travel experience yesterday. I will never fly around Thanksgiving again, at least while I am working and I have time constraints. So while gathering with family was my choice, flying cross country is not!

- Our 12:15 flight did not leave Detroit until 4:00. We sat on the tarmac for over an hour in a plane with no air conditioning before they finally announced the pilots who were supposed to fly us could not. We had to wait for another crew to arrive and then wait for them to do all their pre-flight checks. We reboarded around 3:15 and sat until they were ready to leave-45 minutes.
-Road to get to the Air BnB was closed so had to take a detour-in the dark and in the rain.
- We should have been here around 5:00. Were supposed to have dinner with the kids. Got in around 9:15.

Only positive is that Delta sent us a $200 voucher each for our next flight because of the problems

Ouch. I hope it gets better from this point on. 

14 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

99% of air traffic facilities are understaffed

And it's not going to get better any time soon...

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

99% of air traffic facilities are understaffed

And it's not going to get better any time soon...

I think 99% of all businesses are understaffed.  Not to get political but where in the past when someone held out a hand for some help I would put something in it. Nowadays I look up and usually within feet is a hiring sign! I’ve got second thoughts anymore.

4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I think 99% of all businesses are understaffed.  Not to get political but where in the past when someone held out a hand for some help I would put something in it. Nowadays I look up and usually within feet is a hiring sign! I’ve got second thoughts anymore.

I learned from Forrest Gump to look at the shoes. There's alot you can tell about a person by their shoes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My mom and dad divorced when I was 4. Both remarried in 1989.  After 16 years of 4 Thanksgivings and 4 Christmas' then meeting my wife in 2006 and adding 2 more I was thoroughly burned out.  Although with grandparents passing and parents and cousins becoming grandparents themselves it's slowed down. 

We will rotate family events throughout the year but Thanksgiving we typically keep for ourselves. We make our own food, whatever we want and eat whenever it's done or when we feel like it. It's all about the food, watching Planes Trains and Automobiles then Christmas Vacation. 

Love Planes, Trains, and Automobiles at Thanksgiving time. Great movie! “That’s not a pillow!!”

• Like 1