Potential HC Candidates

KDB

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Show me and I'll listen... where can we draw that from? 

Where does Kansas State get their kids from? How do they convince them to go there? ... what offseason, everything, do they do?  

And I don't agree with Iowa St being on that list. Matt Campbell is awesome. Nor Minny. I understand it's a whole outlook you're talking about, but MC at ISU trumps our potential, imo. I'd take him. 

Some of these schools might have better coaches at the moment. But in a vacuum, what makes Kansas State better than IU? I don't believe on equal footing that Iowa State is better than IU. Same thing for all the programs I listed.

I'll concede that our history and past answer why they've been better. But if we actually have the institutional commitment to compete with our peers (like we all hope and want), then I'm not all that ready to believe that we're lesser than those programs.

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Vanderbilt is worse. Same lack of success with much higher academic standards 

I think the overall point is we're not necessarily going to get who we want any more than a lot of these schools being mentioned did. It's about who wants to come here. Vanderbilt's current HC is Clark Lea, who got a three year extension after going 5-7. I wonder who was on their initial list before they hired him? I wonder who the fans wanted? 

Edited by OGIUAndy

9 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I'm not trying to be antagonistic by repeatedly quoting you...

But I feel the regionality of players doesn't matter as much as it did in the past. Of course there will be local favoritism, but with the expansion of conferences from coast to coast, where good players grow up doesn't equate to where they land.

IU has repeatedly recruited Florida with a passion.

And that dried up pretty quickly did it not? The longer CTA was here the drier that pool got. 

8 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I think the overall point is we're not necessarily going to get who we want any more than a lot of these schools being mentioned did. It's about who wants to come here. Vanderbilt's current HC is Clark Lea, who got a three year extension after going 5-7. I wonder who was on their initial list before they hired him? I wonder who the fans wanted? 

The fans wanted Nick Saban

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

And that dried up pretty quickly did it not? The longer CTA was here the drier that pool got. 

I'm not a CTA apologist. I cheered as loudly as anyone when we were winning, and felt equally as disillusioned the past three seasons. Given the trajectory, I believe it was time for him to go.

However, I do wonder, if the $15-$20M that was used for his buyout -- and I completely acknowledge how the money comes from different sources, but humor me here -- was instead used towards the program's NIL package, what the talent and results would look like?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I'm not a CTA apologist. I cheered as loudly as anyone when we were winning, and felt equally as disillusioned the past three seasons. Given the trajectory, I believe it was time for him to go.

However, I do wonder, if the $15-$20M that was used for his buyout -- and I completely acknowledge how the money comes from different sources, but humor me here -- was instead used towards the program's NIL package, what the talent and results would look like?

Nil and the buyout is from the same people. 

4 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Nil and the buyout is from the same people. 

Ok, so then my question is even more valid. If CTA has any legitimate gripes about the NIL money not making it to the players... well, it looks like we had enough! Just wonder if it was used earlier, how things could've changed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Some of these schools might have better coaches at the moment. But in a vacuum, what makes Kansas State better than IU? I don't believe on equal footing that Iowa State is better than IU. Same thing for all the programs I listed.

I'll concede that our history and past answer why they've been better. But if we actually have the institutional commitment to compete with our peers (like we all hope and want), then I'm not all that ready to believe that we're lesser than those programs.

I agree to the first paragraph wholeheartedly. Thats why I asked the questions about Kansas State.. mimic how they get dudes. 

Now.. what sets ISU a part.. Matt Campbell. At KSU that was Bill Snyder. 

Edited by btownqb

5 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Ok, so then my question is even more valid. If CTA has any legitimate gripes about the NIL money not making it to the players... well, it looks like we had enough! Just wonder if it was used earlier, how things could've changed.

Maybe NOW...... that starts? 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I truly doubt Herman is giving us a look.

JMO 

Maybe Candle?.. man I'd make IU give me the world, if I were him, and considering taking the job. But, also, someone would have to pay us handsomely if Candle were to be hired away in the first 3 years. 

Guys it's the worst power 5 job. 

Kansas was able to get Leapold to come there and they are in pretty much as bad as we are

23 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

CTA not alone. Doeren, Elki and Mack all saying they can’t compete in NIL. I thing there are a relatively small number of programs that are flush with NIL cash

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/Doeren-needs-to-be-financial-commitment-to-recruit-keep-players/21167740/

I was listening to the radio and the host was saying if IU has a pool of money for football. The question was is it better to use more money on NIL and the players than the HC. I think in order to get the players it takes both. If you don't have a good coach then it doesn't matter how much money you got for NIL.

Also as fans we should just let it play out and get behind whoever is hired as HC. Let's not make a judgement from day 1 but let see the product on the field first.

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I agree to the first paragraph wholeheartedly. Thats why I asked the questions about Kansas State.. mimic how they get dudes. 

Now.. what sets ISU a part.. Matt Campbell. At KSU that was Bill Snyder. 

Right, but a potential HC isn't picking the school based on who is there right now. They're picking the school based on potential, aligned vision, resources, money, etc.

My whole argument is that I don't see IU as some end-of-the-earth, derelict program. There is solid potential, despite what the detractors say.

If everyone (IU's Board, President, AD, Coaching staff and players) are all on the same page, then this opening can be a very good one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Right, but a potential HC isn't picking the school based on who is there right now. They're picking the school based on potential, aligned vision, resources, money, etc.

My whole argument is that I don't see IU as some end-of-the-earth, derelict program. There is solid potential, despite what the detractors say.

If everyone (IU's Board, President, AD, Coaching staff and players) are all on the same page, then this opening can be a very good one.

Tom Fornelli, a senior writer on CBS Sports wrote an article today with the premise that “Indiana is acting like a football school, for once “ by ponying up the buyout money. That’s the opinion that the program is up against, unfortunately.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I think we'd just prolong the inevitable and we might not have seen much better results. The last three games were really pathetic. We had no business losing any of them, and yet we found a way to do it. 

7 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I think we'd just prolong the inevitable and we might not have seen much better results. The last three games were really pathetic. We had no business losing any of them, and yet we found a way to do it. 

I'm not conflating the two points. Our coaching was not great and our playmaking was suspect. If we simply tackle, we beat Purdue.

But there also is a very real argument that better players (through hook, crook or a whole lotta $$$) would also have a direct impact on the results.

At this point, it's all conjecture, but to @btownqb's point, hopefully it starts now.

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I'd be okay with Hart. Frye has been an OC at OSU and UCLA.  Better resume' but Hart could be a Mike Tomlin type guy. If you hire a non-head coach then it should be from a big time program.  If you hire a head coach from smaller school then I would like to see sustained success over many years preferably at different places. 

I definitely agree with you about hiring a coach from a smaller school. My two top picks at this time are Herman and Candle. Candle is a little more of a risk in my opinion, because he has only been at Toledo and inherited a winning culture, although he has certainly sustained it for 7-8 years now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

For a moment imagine an Illinois fan saying they aren’t lesser than IU in basketball and justifying by saying they just haven’t been as committed as we have. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

For a moment imagine an Illinois fan saying they aren’t lesser than IU in basketball and justifying by saying they just haven’t been as committed as we have. 

But they have been. They've put so much effort into having a good basketball team and have still come up empty. That's why its so much fun beating down on them.

In football, our administration has thrown a stick in its own wheel spoke again and again. We very clearly haven't done all that we can to be the best we can be.

2 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

But they have been. They've put so much effort into having a good basketball team and have still come up empty. That's why its so much fun beating down on them.

In football, our administration has thrown a stick in its own wheel spoke again and again. We very clearly haven't done all that we can to be the best we can be.

Okay sub in a myriad of other teams for Illinois.

I mean, you can tell yourself whatever you want but I won’t be talking like that. We don’t suck because we haven’t tried, we suck because we suck. 

Is it lack of talent or lack of development of talent?? I’ve been hearing we have had some of our best recruiting classes under Allen…with nothing to show for it. NIL is important…but coaches that develop kids to playing on Sundays is what recruits want to see. 3 stars that were overlooked by big dawgs but get developed into NFL talent is what we need…and that happens all the time at other schools…just not so much here lately.