Potential HC Candidates

KDB

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There's no doubt he's a brilliant football mind...

But the compromising emails didn't just contain slurs... He was in a group that passed photos of topless women, including some of the Washington cheerleaders around...

We can say "boys will be boys" all we want, but I'd think something like that would be off-putting to any college president...

I’ll just say that I went back and re-read some of those emails. I said it earlier but the man seems very vindictive. It’s no secret now that he’s looking for vengeance against Goodall and the NFL (rightfully or wrong fully). In a parallel universe, he’d never be interested in coaching at IU. And if he were interested now (still no evidence of this) I’d have to question his motives. Is he using us as a pedestal in his revenge tour? Does IU want to get in the middle of this. You know the second he’d get hired, it’d unearth a debate that’d consume sports media for the next week. But in the end, after all that dust would settle, it won’t matter what you think, or the what students would think, or who is or is not offended, blah, blah, blah - it would matter what the recruits and their families think about the man, does he carry his vindictiveness with him, and could it ultimately infect the athletic department. Could Gruden overcome that? I honestly don’t know. 

….or we could just hire a coach without the baggage and experience leading a college program.

It’s risk vs. reward. IU has never been the type of school to lean towards ‘risk’. 

Edited by tdhoosier

Secretly. I’d love Gruden. He’d put us into relevance and on the national map.   He’d elevate us.  I doubt he is actually racist.  He was talking crap in what he thought was a private situation.  I am not defending it because I certainly wouldn’t do that.  The juvenile-ness of it is also asinine.  But he got railroaded and shouldn’t he get a second chance if he answers for it?  If President Whitten is open minded enough to talk to him, a woman President would be the perfect way to give him a chance if he can answer all her questions.  I’d prefer that to dismissing him out of hand.  The upside for IU would be amazing.  We are talking about an incredibly famous person in football circles.  He’s magnetic.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 8

I echo most comments here.  Candle is my favorite from those 4.  Hart would be number 2 as I think he could do great recruiting and be a little more relatable.  My opinion is framed from limited watching of interviews from the past from some of the candidates and their background.  Cignetti I think is really intriguing, but overall I am still in the Herman camp if he were interested.  But, I don't know anything about coach selection.  I'm an armchair AD.  I won't be upset by anyone hired because it does no good, I don't know all the details of the search and interviews.  So, I have no authority to judge and have indignation about the decision.  

Edited by SpiderMonkey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’ll just say that I went back and re-read some of those emails. I said it earlier but the man seems very vindictive. It’s no secret now that he’s looking for vengeance against Goodall and the NFL (rightfully or wrong fully). In a parallel universe, he’d never be interested in coaching at IU. And if he were interested now (still no evidence of this) I’d have to question his motives. Is he using us as a pedestal in his revenge tour? Does IU want to get in the middle of this. You know the second he’d get hired, it’d unearth a debate that’d consume sports media for the next week. But in the end, after all that dust would settle, it won’t matter what you think, or the what students would think, or who is or is not offended, blah, blah, blah - it would matter what the recruits and their families think about the man and does he carry his vindictiveness with him and ultimately infect the athletic department. Could Gruden overcome that? I honestly don’t know. 

….or we could just hire a coach without the baggage and experience leading a college program.

It’s risk vs. reward. IU has never been the type of school to lean towards ‘risk’. 

You raise good points. But what if we interview him and he answers for everything in an impressive way?  That’s where I’m in the second chance camp.  

I hate the emails but having your private stuff leaked and destroying someone over it is incredibly ruthless.  You call Gruden vindictive but what about what the NFL did to him?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Secretly. I’d love Gruden. He’d put us into relevance and on the national map.   He’d elevate us.  I doubt he is actually racist.  He was talking crap in what he thought was a private situation.  I am not defending it because I certainly wouldn’t do that.  The juvenile-ness of it is also asinine.  But he got railroaded and shouldn’t he get a second chance if he answers for it?  If President Whitten is open minded enough to talk to him, a woman President would be the perfect way to give him a chance if he can answer all her questions.  I’d prefer that to dismissing him out of hand.  The upside for IU would be amazing.  We are talking about an incredibly famous person in football circles.  He’s magnetic.  

But it's not just what he said about DeMaurice Smith, which I'd like to hear him explain to the parents of an African-American recruit after every recruiter from every school in before him would have made sure they knew...

The passing of emails with sexual content is juvenile, but the first hint of any sexual harassment claim be it against him, one of his staff or players all the way down to a ball boy would probably have the school's president polishing her resume...

"You had evidence, but you hired him anyway." 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

But it's not just what he said about DeMaurice Smith, which I'd like to hear him explain to the parents of an African-American recruit after every recruiter from every school in before him would have made sure they knew...

The passing of emails with sexual content is juvenile, but the first hint of any sexual harassment claim be it against him, one of his staff or players all the way down to a ball boy would probably have the school's president polishing her resume...

And this PC bull fluff is why IU is no longer relevant in Mens sports. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You’re right.  It’s definitely bothersome and I’d have to remind myself of all what happened. All I’m saying is maybe he can answer for everything.  I am sure he could get players like Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks (just examples) to vouch for him.  I’ve never heard anyone from a locker room ever say that these emails reflect anything they saw with him.  Not a political statement, so nobody go there, but just to make a point, we hired a US president despite “locker room talk.”

I know as fans it is not realistic but why don't we be patient and see who is hired. Then why don't we let that coach come in and get settled before making a judgement on the hire.

I just want a coach who will teach discipline and not make stupid penalties every game. I want a coach who knows how to manage the game and has click m management

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Of the rumored finalists...I am rooting for Candle or Chryst....preferably Candle. I'm disappointed that Herman is not getting interviewed (according to insiders), but he may have turned us down as well, who knows...

I mentioned this yesterday.  Herman, with a proven track record, will be able to parlay FAU into a job at a 'football' school faster than he would be able to at Indiana. 

Neither FAU nor Indiana is his end game, and he has the resume to get where he wants from FAU.  Moving to Indiana slows that process down.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You’re right.  It’s definitely bothersome and I’d have to remind myself of all what happened. All I’m saying is maybe he can answer for everything.  I am sure he could get players like Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks (just examples) to vouch for him.  I’ve never heard anyone from a locker room ever say that these emails reflect anything they saw with him.  Not a political statement, so nobody go there, but just to make a point, we hired a US president despite “locker room talk.”

I understand what you're saying, but someone else in this thread made the point that it's already difficult to recruit in Indiana and I'd add without having a coach that's already wearing a scarlet letter...

As for you last line (and like you, I don't want this to be political, but it is true), I'd ask what did that get us beside division and gridlock (which we surely needed more of 🙂)?

And I'd think we want to avoid all that with this hire... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1