Potential HC Candidates

KDB

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

And he bailed on IU as soon as a spot became available at his alma mater. Not comfortable with that history.

Yeah, but Harbaugh isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and they already pretty much put Sherrone Moore at the front of his replacement line...

And we have to face facts... Anyone that has success at IU is going to be subject to poaching from a lot of schools

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

And he bailed on IU as soon as a spot became available at his alma mater. Not comfortable with that history.

That's an interesting way to look at that. Mike had multiple opps to leave, but didn't leave IU until he had a chance to go back to his alma mater, I assume make more money, and coach at one of the T5 football programs in the country. 

There is no, absolutely no mark on his "character" or whatever else for making that decision. How's that different than Dane Fife? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's an interesting way to look at that. Mike had multiple opps to leave, but didn't leave IU until he had a chance to go back to his alma mater, I assume make more money, and coach at one of the T5 football programs in the country. 

There is no, absolutely no mark on his "character" or whatever else for making that decision. How's that different than Dane Fife? 

Dane was not on our staff before leaving for MSU.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Dane was not on our staff before leaving for MSU.

Doesn't matter. Dane's also a dbag and Mike Hart isn't, so that would be why I'd prefer someone like Hart to coach here and not Dane Fife. But that is all an example. 

Mike Hart was 24-21 while on our staff with 2 bowl appearances in 4 years.

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

There’s the old adage that goes something like this, if you train someone they may leave for something better however, if you don’t train them they might stay!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Drroogh said:

There’s the old adage that goes something like this, if you train someone they may leave for something better however, if you don’t train them they might stay!

That is such a good quote.... 

I think the ending goes, "but even worse, what if you don't train them, and they stay"

• Like 2

I have no qualms with Mike Hart, and certainly would not put him in the same conversation with Dane Fife, character wise. I believe he would make a good HC.

I just wonder how quick he would be to jump at a better opportunity. We are trying to get away from the perception that IU is a stepping stone program. We are trying to build up the NIL coffers, the facility budget, the coaching salaries, to turn that perception around. Given Hart's history with IU, it does concern me that he would jump at the first chance. 

Maybe the other guys would too. However, they haven't shown that they will.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have no qualms with Mike Hart, and certainly would not put him in the same conversation with Dane Fife, character wise. I believe he would make a good HC.

I just wonder how quick he would be to jump at a better opportunity. We are trying to get away from the perception that IU is a stepping stone program. We are trying to build up the NIL coffers, the facility budget, the coaching salaries, to turn that perception around. Given Hart's history with IU, it does concern me that he would jump at the first chance. 

I have no problem if Mike Hart is hired away, by Michigan, to be their HC. That's the only school MH has shown he'd leave IU for. 

IF MH is hired by UM to be their HC, at some point, that would mean he would have won big time at Indiana. UM isn't hiring him if he struggles at IU. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I'm starting to like the idea of Frye. He's a former Hoosier that's been an OC at UCLA and an Associate Head Coach at Ohio State. He's already got alumni support and would help to keep IU from going through OL struggles that we've seen in the recent past. 

I am to the point where I will back whatever the decision is and hope it works out. My top choice is Candle but there is no guarantee that would work any better than say Hart or Frye

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

IU becoming a stepping stone program would be a big improvement and step up in the perception of the program. 

IU is not even at the level of a stepping stone program. Who was the last head coach to parlay the IU job into something better?

I'm not advocating for Mike Hart, but any hire coming to IU and having enough success that larger programs are trying to poach the coach sounds like a massive win for IU Football to me. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

IU becoming a stepping stone program would be a big improvement and step up in the perception of the program. 

IU is not even at the level of a stepping stone program. Who was the last head coach to parlay the IU job into something better?

I'm not advocating for Mike Hart, but any hire coming to IU and having enough success that larger programs are trying to poach the coach sounds like a massive win for IU Football to me. 

Right now the IU job is known for being a career suicide, and never has been a stepping stone.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Man, IUFB isn't the end all be all. Unless we hire a guy ready to retire, there's always a chance a coach or HC leave for a better job. Even guys like Frye or ARE could leave if they have success. 

ARE would not leave IU if he built a winner here.  I firmly believe that.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I have no problem if Mike Hart is hired away, by Michigan, to be their HC. That's the only school MH has shown he'd leave IU for. 

IF MH is hired by UM to be their HC, at some point, that would mean he would have won big time at Indiana. UM isn't hiring him if he struggles at IU. 

I would think that UM’s current choice for next coach is Sherron Moore. Might be part of the reason Hart is interested?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I would think that UM’s current choice for next coach is Sherron Moore. Might be part of the reason Hart is interested?

I have no idea. All I am saying... if the order of events eventually lead to MH being the UM HC..... he HAS to do well at Indiana first. There is no route for him to be the HC there and struggle at IU. Isn't happening. 

• Like 1