Potential HC Candidates

KDB

It’s not like we have had much  success hiring new coaches in the past. I would think the biggest thing to look at is that ability of the new coach to understand the works of a Power Five program. 
His ability to hire first rate coordinators and asst. 

I like Tom Herman because he has won at the Power five level. He was fired at Texas when he had a winning record, just not the record they wanted! We would love to have his record at IU! I hope we can get him! 
Not exited to try another promising Coordinator to be our Head Coach! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wommack, DeBoer, and really Mike Hart would all fit that role. Deland McCullough, as well. David Ballou, Matt Rhea. 

I was thinking the same thing.  While they were not HC, they left to either become a HC or for a higher profile job after doing well at Indiana.

Edited by SpiderMonkey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I really like Cignetti in particular.  All he does is win, which means he knows how to run an entire operation and all phases.  His record reminds me of Kalen DeBoer.  He just knows how to win.  Plus there’s an edginess and a “won’t back down” attitude.  I wish we were hearing more about a connection there.  

Candle has a lot going for him too.  Little more risk for a variety of reasons.  He’s been successful but if you look at all circumstances I like Cignetti well above Candle (famous last words that someone may quote back to me in 2029!).

Forgot all about him! He be good

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I can't imagine anyone being upset if we were able to hire him. I still question why he'd be interested, but I know we've hashed that out. 

I can see the headlines...

"IU Can't Hold a Candle to Michigan"

And, when he's fired...

"Candle in the Wind" (I just did that one so my friend @FritzIam4IU would have that song running through his head again all day 🙂 ... If we hire him, fine with me)

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I can see the headlines...

"IU Can't Hold a Candle to Michigan"

And, when he's fired...

"Candle in the Wind" (I just did that one so my friend @FritzIam4IU would have that song running through his head again all day 🙂 ... If we hire him, fine with me)

You and @rico are both on my list now. 🤣

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

And he bailed on IU as soon as a spot became available at his alma mater. Not comfortable with that history.

Is a coach leaving us to become the Head Coach at a top 5-10 program a bad thing for IU perception wise?

You'd have to think Hart would have had a good level of success to get that job, so we'd be handing over a much better program to a new coach and a job that has the perception of being able to get you to a top job in the sport. What's the problem with that exactly? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

ARE would not leave IU if he built a winner here.  I firmly believe that.  

I believe that too. But he could. What we believe or hope is not always the reality. He's been coaching in the NFL and not at IU. So he could have aspirations of being a HC in the NFL for all we know. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, but Harbaugh isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and they already pretty much put Sherrone Moore at the front of his replacement line...

And we have to face facts... Anyone that has success at IU is going to be subject to poaching from a lot of schools

Except we know Hart doesn't really want to be here.

At least we can pretend with other candidates that they might like IU enough to stay.

I like Herman, Candle, or Cignetti.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Except we know Hart doesn't really want to be here.

At least we can pretend with other candidates that they might like IU enough to stay.

I like Herman, Candle, or Cignetti.

I have not heard Cignetti's name mentioned in any of the rumblings. Is he even being considered? 

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Is a coach leaving us to become the Head Coach at a top 5-10 program a bad thing for IU perception wise?

You'd have to think Hart would have had a good level of success to get that job, so we'd be handing over a much better program to a new coach and a job that has the perception of being able to get you to a top job in the sport. What's the problem with that exactly? 

In that scenario we would have to hire 2 good coaches in a row..... IU fans realize that is unlikely.

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He got an interview. 

He did? I haven't seen that reported, but I haven't been hawking the boards as much as I did yesterday. So who has been reported as being interviewed or lined up for an interview? So far I heard it was Herman, Chryst, Frye, Hart, and Candle. Not sure if ARE was interviewed. Then you have all the Gruden stuff, which I am suspicious of besides being click bait and Twitter rumors.