RIP George McGinnis

8 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Watched his Washington team in 1969 at state finals on tv.  George and teammate Steve Downing each went for 30+ points.  Men among boys.  I’m same age as George.  Great ball player and as IUFLA said…years ahead of his time.

RIP George.   

That was a great Final 4... 3 undefeated teams (Indianapolis Washington, Vincennes, and Marion) and Gary Tolleston had 1 loss (to a team from Chicago)... 

• Like 1

Ahead of my time but the way my Dad talked about him tells me how dominant he was. My Dad graduated high school from Arlington in 1965 I believe but besides Oscar nobody was dominant as George.

One thing that always stood out to me was this. McGinnis was obviously gone before Coach Knight arrived one year later but Knight always welcomed him with the program. Not necessarily something Knight always did with players he didn't coach.

RIP George McGinnis.

• Like 2

Good article in the IndyStar by Greg Doyel about McGinnis. I watched him play in high school when the Indianapolis city schools were really good. Most years getting out of the city sectional was the toughest round of the tournament. He was maybe the most phenomenal athlete I ever saw and, by all accounts, a really good human being.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The 1969 IHSAA Semi Final between Indianapolis Washington and Marion... Great game... McGinnis is 44 in white, Steve Downing is 43, Wayne Pack (who played a short stint with the Pacers) is 23... Former Purdue star Jovon Price played for Marion... 

Probably the best, highest level, high school game I ever saw.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Big Mac is a big reason I became an IU fan. One of my biggest heros as a kid.  When he left the Pacers for the 76'ers he got overshadowed by Dr.J IMO.

To those too young to have watched him play, I suggest watching some videos and marvel at that unique, one-handed shot.

RIP

I don't know if any footage of his one year at IU is available... I've never seen any...

But if you ever saw Big George rip down a one-handed rebound, dribble the length of the floor (sometimes behind the back) and finish with a behind the back pass to a teammate, or his "faux dunk" (he'd flip the ball down through the rim without making contact with it because dunking was illegal) you'd never forget it... 6'7 dudes just didn't do that back then... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Big Mac is a big reason I became an IU fan. One of my biggest heros as a kid.  When he left the Pacers for the 76'ers he got overshadowed by Dr.J IMO.

To those too young to have watched him play, I suggest watching some videos and marvel at that unique, one-handed shot.

RIP

Imagine McGinnis on the 73 IU team with Steve Downing. UCLA can kiss my a$$. That team would have been National Champions.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know if any footage of his one year at IU is available... I've never seen any...

But if you ever saw Big George rip down a rebound, dribble the length of the floor (sometimes behind the back) and finish with a behind the back pass to a teammate, or his "faux dunk" (he'd flip the ball down through the rim without making contact with it because dunking was illegal) you'd never forget it... 6'7 dudes just didn't do that back then... 

Robin Miller used to tell some hilarious stories about George as a football player.  Once he was rushing the punter and, with his speed and power, he literally picked the punter (with ball) up and carried himinto the end zone.  I remember a game atMSA when Mac smashed into the goal support and it took a half an hour to move it back into place.  "Baby Bull" was one of his nicknames.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1