Ohio State II Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Tuesday, February 6th 7:00 PM EST

Where: Schottenstein Center, Columbus, Ohio

TV: Peacock

Chris Holtmann (7th year at OSU 136-84 overall 65-56 in the Big 10) brings his Ohio State Buckeyes (13-9 3-8 in the Big 10) into a home meeting with our Hoosiers. Ohio State has lost 7 of their last 8 with the only win being against Penn State last month. IU beat OSU 71-65 back on January 6th.

image.png.77dbf5fd21b80c627ec5384a24a136f4.png

image.png.72d0fee7afd4d84d56a56ebbc28f6f6f.png

image.png.956755ce34695cc8cb2bb41e81906812.png

image.png.8da964a0e7c428570e89cf75180134ac.png

Ohio State has deployed the same lineup (Okpara, Gayle, Thornton, Mahaffey, and Battle) for every game except one (New Orleans back in December when Zed Key started in place of Okpara). XJ had 18 in the first meeting, and our guards were able to hold Thornton and Gayle to a combined 18 points. Reneau had 21 points, while Battle kept them in the game with his 17. Freshman Devin Royal, who reminds me a lot of Illinois Ty Rodgers, has been getting more playing time in the last 3 games, while Zed Key, who normally gets 17 mpg has seen his time reduced.

Chris Holtmann is definitely on the hot seat after finishing 13th in the Big 10 last year (they did make a little run in the BTT) and hovering near the bottom again this year. The Buckeyes are the youngest team in the Big 10. and at times it shows.

Let's get back on the winning side with an important road win...

GO HOOSIERS!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

If IU wants to win they need to try something different on defense. Whatever they are doing hasn’t worked all year. I would try some zone just to change something up. The zone might not work but atleast it’s different. I think IU Guards may see some full court pressure from this point on. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I make these threads so we can reasonably discuss the game...If y'all want to bash the team and the coach, there are plenty of other threads to do it in...

Which post isn’t discussing the game?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I make these threads so we can reasonably discuss the game...If y'all want to bash the team and the coach, there are plenty of other threads to do it in...

I was honestly surprised we beat them the first time.  OSU has a roster full of talent and athletes.  For some odd reason, Holtmann has rarely gotten his OSU teams to be connected.  It did take 19 points from Malik in the 2nd half to beat them at home.  I appreciate your pregames.  They are top notch.  I stand by my prediction.   We will fold if they hit 2 threes in a row.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I was honestly surprised we beat them the first time.  OSU has a roster full of talent and athletes.  For some odd reason, Holtmann has rarely gotten his OSU teams to be connected.  It did take 19 points from Malik in the 2nd half to beat them at home.  I appreciate your pregames.  They are top notch.  I stand by my prediction.   We will fold if they hit 2 threes in a row.  

We won because XJ had a "Good XJ game" and we defended the perimeter...If we have XJ back, I give us a fighting chance...

3 minutes ago, rico said:

If the Buckeye backcourt has a good shooting game we lose.  If they are their normal selves we have a puncher's chance.

I’d add we need to hit shots too. OSU has a porous defense, but a lot of their struggles are the other team hitting shots (threes and free throws). 

47 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I would like to see the team pressure more.  Trey and Cupps know how to steal the ball and apply pressure.  If XJ is back I think we can make teams just as uncomfortable as they make us if not more.

So Cupps played 4 minutes the first time we played.  X was back and played great.  Cupps got 33 minutes yesterday.  2 points 0 assists 2 rebounds.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So Cupps played 4 minutes the first time we played.  X was back and played great.  Cupps got 33 minutes yesterday.  2 points 0 assists 2 rebounds.  

Cupps is a bad matchup on Thornton...Bruce is way too strong and would take him to the basket every time...Gayle wouldn't be any better of a matchup for IU...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Cupps is a bad matchup on Thornton...Bruce is way too strong and would take him to the basket every time...Gayle wouldn't be any better of a matchup for IU...

Woodson go to a zone?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don’t expect Cupps to deliver much in offense but he is a great scrappy pressure player on D.

• Like 1

Nothing changes. The mistakes and poor play from the pre-season continue. No reason to believe this one will be different. 

Maybe I've seen this for too long now, but I'm not willing to watch this nonsense. This far into the season and as a team you have no desire or understanding of how to guard the three? No thanks 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

Woodson go to a zone?

He's a stubborn old guy, so I doubt it...But you never know ;) 

43 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

If not Thornton will torch us

If that starts early, I would imagine Woody will get Gunn in early...

Also, I don't know what Walker did or didn't do against Penn State, but he only got 5 minutes of run time yesterday...And I hadn't heard of any physical issues...

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I would cut him slack as a Freshman.  

• Like 1