2024 Transfer Portal

31 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I don’t know much about any of these guys, but a lot of them have impressive numbers. Any guard who can shoot is a yes for me.

What’s the deal with the first 3 guys? None of them seem very impressive outside of being bench players on power conference teams

Yeah the first thing I’m looking at is 3 PT and FT shooting and then you have to make sure they can defend.  Some of these guys who can rebound from the wing would be nice.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

yeah.  i keep saying it is super tough to think Woodson will get less heralded players and play them in a system to get the most out of them.  my only hope is that he gets crazy talent this offseason and almost can't mess them up.  

No doubt.  IU doesn’t run a well schooled system where you can take savvy guys who can come together like Hoiberg or Chris Collins or even Underwood does.  That’s the opposite of IU.   Throw it into the post and never see it again, no ball or player movement, etc etc.  

The hope is just fielding a team that’s respectable in terms of Ws and Ls even if the metrics are bad.  My main hope, barring a miracle, would be for the program to build up enough talent that it’s easier for the next staff.  

It would be nice if we landed a core for the ‘25 class.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

How did those All Everbody Ivy League transfer players last year fair this year?

The only one of note in the Big 10, Ryan Langborg of Northwestern (Princeton) did pretty well... Got right at his senior Ivy League numbers at 12 ppg and shot 41% from 3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I must be missing something. Most of you guys "sound" like you're confident of us landing a bunch of portal guys.

If I'm a portal guy, and take more than a 3 second look at how IU plays, I'd pass in a heartbeat.

My concern is we don't land enough guys to get to 10, much less 13 scholly's.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, DWB said:

I must be missing something. Most of you guys "sound" like you're confident of us landing a bunch of portal guys.

If I'm a portal guy, and take more than a 3 second look at how IU plays, I'd pass in a heartbeat.

My concern is we don't land enough guys to get to 10, much less 13 scholly's.

With NIL I think we can still land a bunch of mercenaries for 1 or 2 years. If Woodson can change our play to a more modern style I think we dig ourselves out of the hole. That is a big "if". Who knows what Woodson can sell portal guards other than NIL? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The IU staff feels like they have 1 or 2 big time transfers locked up. That said we’ll see if that actually plays out.

That would be great but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Are these transfers already in the portal or are we doing some “behind the scenes” work and trying to lock up these transfers before they announce they’re entering the portal?

• Like 1

Just now, 02Hoosier said:

That would be great but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Are these transfers already in the portal or are we doing some “behind the scenes” work and trying to lock up these transfers before they announce they’re entering the portal?

I’m not sure about that. I do know there’s mutual interest between IU and Small but I’m not sure if he’s one the guys they’re talking about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Any player who is set to graduate in 2 semesters or less can enter the portal whenever they want allowing us to have contact with them once the paperwork is submitted.

Any player who can't graduate in 2 semesters or less must wait for the March 18th date to enter officially but can submit their transfer paperwork early. From what I understand a non-graduating player cannot be contact until the portal window opens on the 18th. 

I'm guessing the portal transfers the IU coaches are talking about are seniors?

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The IU staff feels like they have 1 or 2 big time transfers locked up. That said we’ll see if that actually plays out.

Yea looked like we had a bunch of four and five star seniors this years class and ended with Zero. 
But as always thank you for what you bring

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Who is Small?

Might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's South Bend native Javon Small who played last year at Oklahoma State. He attended Franklin Central starting in his sophomore year.

A point guard that averaged 15 ppg, 37ish percent from 3 but had a so-so assist to turnover ratio of 1.33. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's South Bend native Javon Small who played last year at Oklahoma State. He attended Franklin Central starting in his sophomore year.

A point guard that averaged 15 ppg, 37ish percent from 3 but had a so-so assist to turnover ratio of 1.33. 

plays like X, with a better shot form of course.

• Like 1