2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

Just now, IUProfessor said:

Time will tell. Conwell is a more proven, well rounded talent IMO, but I suspect Carlyle will prevent us from landing him. Meanwhile, IU's ceiling is severely limited running a two low post offense.

But I've been wrong before...

I don't think Malik is a "low post" offense guy, I think there are multiple facets to his game, especially moving forward.. Ballo doesn't get his points in the same way that Ware did. I also only see those two playing 30mpg tops.. still ways to have multiple lineups throughout the game. 

Conwell, playing in the MVC, is more proven than Rice, the Pac 12 FR of the year? Ehhh. 

Furthermore, Carlyle's FR numbers, against significantly better competition dwarfed Conwell's FR numbers. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I don't think Rice-Carlyle-Ballo is a better infusion of talent than Mgbako and Ware were last year, and look how that ended.

It's hard to make a good lineup with MR being a tweener between 4 and 5.  The issue wasn't with adding Mgbako and Ware though.

The biggest issue was Woodson completely whiffed on adding any starting level guards and we went into the season with wild thing XJ and Gallo as our best guards.

• Like 5

On 4/12/2024 at 10:42 AM, btownqb said:

I don't think Malik is a "low post" offense guy, I think there are multiple facets to his game, especially moving forward.. Ballo doesn't get his points in the same way that Ware did. I also only see those two playing 30mpg tops.. still ways to have multiple lineups throughout the game. 

Conwell, playing in the MVC, is more proven than Rice, the Pac 12 FR of the year? Ehhh. 

Furthermore, Carlyle's FR numbers, against significantly better competition dwarfed Conwell's FR numbers. 

If it was me, I would roughly do the following

MM at the 4, MR at the 5 for 10 minutes

MM at the 4, Ballo at the 5 for 10 minutes

MR at the 4, Ballo at the 5 for 20 minutes

MM would then get stuck out of position at the 3 for maybe 10 minutes or so and Tucker and someone else could play the remaining 30 minutes at the 3.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

I really don't mean to be a buzzkill, so I'll leave it here. But there hasn't been a year in recent memory where the on court results matched the pre-season hype for IU. All I'm saying is that I see no reason to believe next year will be any different. Yes, there was a talent deficiency last year in the backcourt, but the bigger issue is a schematic deficiency that isn't going away.

Again, happy to be proven wrong in time. But I don't think I will be.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I don't think Rice-Carlyle-Ballo is a better infusion of talent than Mgbako and Ware were last year, and look how that ended.

How about if we get Rice, Carlyle, Ballo, Hickman and another stretch for type of players.  Plus we also got Tucker this spring as well. Which off season would be better.

Rice, Carlyle, Ballo, Hickman, Tucker

MM, Ware, Cupps, Newton

2 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I really don't mean to be a buzzkill, so I'll leave it here. But there hasn't been a year in recent memory where the on court results matched the pre-season hype for IU. All I'm saying is that I see no reason to believe next year will be any different. Yes, there was a talent deficiency last year in the backcourt, but the higger issue is a schematic deficiency that isn't going away.

Again, happy to be proven wrong in time. But I don't think I will be.

We are as good at hyping as most fanbases.  Definitely haven't been living up to that hype.

We are stuck with Woodson so I am right there with you on not being too optimistic about this upcoming season.    

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How about if we get Rice, Carlyle, Ballo, Hickman and another stretch for type of players.  Plus we also got Tucker this spring as well. Which off season would be better.

Rice, Carlyle, Ballo, Hickman, Tucker

MM, Ware, Cupps, Newton

Ranking

1) Ware

2) Rice

3) MM

4) Ballo

5) Carlyle

6) Tucker (if he stays for a while, he has a ton of potential to be higher)

7) Hickman (probably higher if factoring in need)

8 ) Cupps

9) Newton (only because we haven't seen anything)

Overall this offseason would be better simply because it addressed the positions more evenly.

Edited by iuswingman

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You all know I don't do advanced metrics.Tony Aldragna was on Assembly Call and said Rice's offensive efficiency was 105 last year and JHS efficiency his freshman year was 94

Chevy Chase GIF - Chevy Chase No - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Biggest problem last season wasn’t playing tow bigs. The guard play outside of Galloway wasn’t that good. Cupps tired and did fine but really should have limited to 10 minutes. X never got healthy and struggled. Gunn and Banks disappointed. 
If the guard play is better we can absolutely succeed with Malik play alongside another big. Guards that create and knock down tough shots and get to the rim. Rice and Carlye seem to fit. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Wonder if we would try pull in both Payne and Ballo or if it is 1 or the other.

I'm hoping for Rice, Carlyle, Conwell, Ballo or Payne

Not likely. IU will land 1 or the other and call me crazy but I really want Malone to be the backup 5. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh I think it's significantly better. Coupled with MR/MM improving their games, that's a helluva start to a team. 

Carlyle's EFG% was 54% on catch-and-shoot 3s. 73rd percentile in the country. Furthermore, his "spot up" so catch and shoot plus catch and drive was 1.1PPP and was in the 81st percentile. This couples with Rice very well. 

....and we just spoke about this, this morning when you walked in my classroom......., I think several are forgetting the potential Tucker can add to this team next year.

• Like 4