2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

So one scholarship available. I’ve heard banking it which I totally get.

but I have a question same as last year.

why…if we landed a guy who only had one year left to use, wouldn’t we add that guy? Thats the part that doesn’t make sense to me.

not adding a 2-3 year guy even who’s solid, I get. But adding a one year guy if you have the scholarship for one year…I need explained why? 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, iuswingman said:

I wouldn't even be opposed to someone with multiple years left.   Scholarships are 1 year rental these days anyway.  If it doesn't work out, the player would transfer or be painted away anyway.

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

We will have plenty of scholarships next year regardless. I say use it. I think part of the issue/thinking is what is the likelihood someone from the transfer portal will want to come in and sit at the end of the bench playing scrap minutes if any... especially in their final year.

I doubt the staff is 100% absolutely banking the scholarship.  If the perfect one-year fit comes along, I'd say they use it.  With the roster they already have, I get focusing efforts on 2025 and not using the 13th scholarship unless the perfect fit falls in your lap.

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I doubt the staff is 100% absolutely banking the scholarship.  If the perfect one-year fit comes along, I'd say they use it.  With the roster they already have, I get focusing efforts on 2025 and not using the 13th scholarship unless the perfect fit falls in your lap.

partly what my post was saying. 

If the perfect fit comes along I think they will take it. The issue is.... what is the likelihood of a transfer that wants to come and sit at the end of the bench, and their thought process is how much time do we waste on something that is not likely. Hatton probably took the last of the money. So the transfer market of someone wanting to come for no money and no playing time is roughly about 0. 

I think their efforts in finding that are roughly at about zero, and they are, like you said, focusing on '25 recruits and beyond, with we got our team mindset. 

My mindset is, I am not worried about if the 13th scholarship is a 1 year guy, which again, I think is improbable for a guy wanting to use their last year for little money and no playing time, vs a younger player with multiple years. We will have  available scholarships next year, my guess is 5-6, to sign a younger 13th and also for the 3 instate kids and more.

I think we are in good position if we dont use the 13th, or if we use it on a 1 year guy, or multiple year guy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

partly what my post was saying. 

If the perfect fit comes along I think they will take it. The issue is.... what is the likelihood of a transfer that wants to come and sit at the end of the bench, and their thought process is how much time do we waste on something that is not likely. Hatton probably took the last of the money. So the transfer market of someone wanting to come for no money and no playing time is roughly about 0. 

I think their efforts in finding that are roughly at about zero, and they are, like you said, focusing on '25 recruits and beyond, with we got our team mindset. 

My mindset is, I am not worried about if the 13th scholarship is a 1 year guy, which again, I think is improbable for a guy wanting to use their last year for little money and no playing time, vs a younger player with multiple years. We will have  available scholarships next year, my guess is 5-6, to sign a younger 13th and also for the 3 instate kids and more.

I think we are in good position if we dont use the 13th, or if we use it on a 1 year guy, or multiple year guy. 

Whose to say the last transfer would be the end of the bench.  Might be someone that thinks they can beat out players on our bench.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, iuswingman said:

Whose to say the last transfer would be the end of the bench.  Might be someone that thinks they can beat out players on our bench.

Who's to say the last transfer isn't going to be a starter? Well, it's possible, but not probable.

I tend to go with the law of averages.

Not many people are transferring to maybe possibly battle it out for the 6, 7, 8 spot. If they have the kind of talent that could slot slot them into that position on IU's roster, they would probably demand some kind of NIL $$$, which I do not believe IU to have much left. I do not know that to be certain, just an assumption.

Ultimately, you have to identify the few players, then battle it out with other teams that can offer presumably more. 

41 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Who's to say the last transfer isn't going to be a starter? Well, it's possible, but not probable.

I tend to go with the law of averages.

Not many people are transferring to maybe possibly battle it out for the 6, 7, 8 spot. If they have the kind of talent that could slot slot them into that position on IU's roster, they would probably demand some kind of NIL $$$, which I do not believe IU to have much left. I do not know that to be certain, just an assumption.

Ultimately, you have to identify the few players, then battle it out with other teams that can offer presumably more. 

We don't really know the NIL situation but nothing stops them for asking for more in order to get someone they want.  

Sure, it's improbable that we would find someone good enough to supplant a starter.  However, I also don't think we can assume the last player would also be our worst player either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

For the right player, I suspect the NIL money would be replenished. 

And that's fine. Again, totally not against it. I just typically use probability. As it stands now, I think we have our team. 

I think the staff would be out of their minds to completely cease all pursuit to fill the last one, whether that be a starter, role player, or bench guy.

I give it 80% 13th is empty, 18% end of bench guy, <2% role player, <.1% starter.

• Like 3

Just now, iuswingman said:

We don't really know the NIL situation but nothing stops them for asking for more in order to get someone they want.  

Sure, it's improbable that we would find someone good enough to supplant a starter.  However, I also don't think we can assume the last player would also be our worst player either.

yes and no. Playing probabilities you make assumptions based on likelihood of something happening. if he isn't our worst player, great. that means the team gets better.

I would probably say

60% - Stays empty

25% end of bench

14% role player

1% starter

But it all depends on a ton of factors we don't know (how much NIL we have, how good are the players left and what our competition is for those players).    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If this were blackjack, last year we were sitting on 14 and we stood pat with that 13th spot.  This year we are sitting on 19.  

I’d say last year is was more like we were sitting on 10.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If this were blackjack, last year we were sitting on 14 and we stood pat with that 13th spot.  This year we are sitting on 19.  

I still haven't seen a good reason behind "not filling it" though. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

There wouldn't be an open chairs to throw at the refs :)

It’s all about us! I doubt we would have much discussion about a Priller or Gelon, but leave that seat open and we can discuss it all the way through summer and into next season.😁

4 hours ago, ledies22 said:

I give it 80% 13th is empty, 18% end of bench guy, <2% role player, <.1% starter.

I would mostly agree with your probabilities with the exception of 18% allocated to end of bench guy.  I personally think it likely stays unfilled unless a legit contributor becomes available late.

On 5/16/2024 at 4:30 PM, iuswingman said:

If IU adds another player they will be somewhere between player number 11-13 in the pecking order for playing time. It’s possible that they add a grad transfer big but it also sounds like they have interest in adding a 2024 decommit if there’s one they like. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

If IU adds another player they will be somewhere between player number 11-13 in the pecking order for playing time. It’s possible that they add a grad transfer big but Ir also sounds like they have interest in adding a 2024 decommit if there’s one they like. 

That makes the most sense.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 10:46 AM, ledies22 said:

And that's fine. Again, totally not against it. I just typically use probability. As it stands now, I think we have our team. 

I think the staff would be out of their minds to completely cease all pursuit to fill the last one, whether that be a starter, role player, or bench guy.

On 5/17/2024 at 10:50 AM, iuswingman said:

I would probably say

60% - Stays empty

25% end of bench

14% role player

1% starter

But it all depends on a ton of factors we don't know (how much NIL we have, how good are the players left and what our competition is for those players).    

Math!  :panic:

• 2 weeks later...