2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

27 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The nice thing is we did as good of a job as can be expected with our core roster.  After we get our rotational center, we are on the margins with that last spot.  

I see absolutely zero reason to spend #13 on a marginal player.  Get a reserve for the front court and hold the last scholarship for someone worthy.  I don't see IU needing bench filler at this point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I see absolutely zero reason to spend #13 on a marginal player.  Get a reserve for the front court and hold the last scholarship for someone worthy.  I don't see IU needing bench filler at this point.

200w(13).gif.9054bb006bf6f9c6518d9bd34edb6896.gif

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We could come up with a name for it. Something along the lines of why the 13th scholarship has failed and doomed programs since the beginning of time. There has to be a name or something for the fallen leader and most valuable member of any college hoops program.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We could come up with a name for it. Something along the lines of why the 13th scholarship has failed and doomed programs since the beginning of time. There has to be a name or something for the fallen leader and most valuable member of any college hoops program.

Mr Irrelevant?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

1 minute ago, Between2Halls said:

Mr Irrelevant?

It's all a function of who fills the last scholarship. Last year if they had landed a solid mid-major guard with the 13th scholly (DJ Davis, Butler, Lance Jones, Purdue, etc), that player wouldn't have been last off the bench. This year, if that 13th scholly goes to an interior player who can defend and rebound, they won't be last off the bench. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Mr Irrelevant?

So I spent 5 minutes of thinking. Millard Fillmore was our 13th President. Easy play on Fillmore (fill more scholarships). Let's just blame the upcoming season on Millard. Darn him!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So I spent 5 minutes of thinking. Millard Fillmore was our 13th President. Easy play on Fillmore (fill more scholarships). Let's just blame the upcoming season on Millard. Darn him!

According to Wikipedia here are all of the players who have worn No. 13 at Indiana:

• Juwan Morgan — (2015-19) 
  • Austin Etherington — (2011-14)
  • Taylor Wayer — (2010-14)
  • Jamarcus Ellis — (2007-08)
  • Dan Prickett — (1960-61)
  • Bob Reinhart — (1957-60)
  • Charlie Brown  (1955-56)
  • Charles Kraak — (1952-54)
  • Sam Esposito — (1951-52)
  • Richard Baumgartner — (1950-55)
  • Al Kravolansky — (1944-47)
  • Jim Ooley — (1937-40)
  • William Squier — (1936-37)
  • Willie Silberstein — (1935-37)
  • Glendon Hodson — (1930-33)
  • James Gill — (1926-30)
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

According to Wikipedia here are all of the players who have worn No. 13 at Indiana:

• Juwan Morgan — (2015-19) 
  • Austin Etherington — (2011-14)
  • Taylor Wayer — (2010-14)
  • Jamarcus Ellis — (2007-08)
  • Dan Prickett — (1960-61)
  • Bob Reinhart — (1957-60)
  • Charlie Brown  (1955-56)
  • Charles Kraak — (1952-54)
  • Sam Esposito — (1951-52)
  • Richard Baumgartner — (1950-55)
  • Al Kravolansky — (1944-47)
  • Jim Ooley — (1937-40)
  • William Squier — (1936-37)
  • Willie Silberstein — (1935-37)
  • Glendon Hodson — (1930-33)
  • James Gill — (1926-30)

Charlie Brown has to win this one right? Or maybe Al? Wasn't he the Cardinals reliever?

My apologies to the board gang. Just having a little fun while waiting mowing and mulching again. 

Whoever we fill the final ships with I'll be happy because at this stage of the off season....they are choosing us. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We have our 13th player his name is Anthony Leal, we have our 12th his name is Newton. 11th his name is Cupps. We have no back up center. We have a 4 who has proven he cant stop making stupid fouls. you fill with the best you can get.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Totally.  Just to be clear I didn’t mean a marginal player.  More like marginal importance to the success of the team this year.  Every recruit should serve a significant purpose whether it be a role for PT or development in the pipeline.  Nothing wrong with developing a player for the future.  

A guy like Tim Priller would not have been in either category and would have been gone after one year in the NIL world.   Definitely don’t waste a spot just to fill it.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It's all a function of who fills the last scholarship. Last year if they had landed a solid mid-major guard with the 13th scholly (DJ Davis, Butler, Lance Jones, Purdue, etc), that player wouldn't have been last off the bench. This year, if that 13th scholly goes to an interior player who can defend and rebound, they won't be last off the bench. 

I think that's what I'm saying in a different way.  Most acknowledge IU needs another frontcourt reserve and I expect scholarship #12 fills that need.  At that point, if there's someone who can be a meaningful contributor like Hemenway or someone even better, fine.  We don't need any Tim Prillers or Grant Gelons just to say we filled the last scholarship.  If I'm Woody, I'm feeling no pressure after getting a front court reserve.  I sit back with scholarship #13 in hand and see who becomes available.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Not surprisingly, more playing time at Vandy

If my choices are Vandy and IU, playing time is not a deciding factor.  Education may push me to Vandy, but any and every basketball decision, I'm at IU.  There is next to no opportunity to play in the NCAA tournament at Vandy, the NIL gap is significant, I'm from Indiana, etc.  

Sure, I might choose say, Texas A&M over IU because of playing time.  If the season goes well, I might get to play in the Tournament net year.  Vandy?  Not going to happen  He has a better chance of getting PT at IU because of injury or non-performance of those ahead of him on the depth chart than he does of playing meaningful basketball next March for Vanderbilt.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Totally.  Just to be clear I didn’t mean a marginal player.  More like marginal importance to the success of the team this year.  Every recruit should serve a significant purpose whether it be a role for PT or development in the pipeline.  Nothing wrong with developing a player for the future.  

A guy like Tim Priller would not have been in either category and would have been gone after one year in the NIL world.   Definitely don’t waste a spot just to fill it.  

Priller would have made a killing with NIL! “It’s Priller Time!”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

If my choices are Vandy and IU, playing time is not a deciding factor.  Education may push me to Vandy, but any and every basketball decision, I'm at IU.  There is next to no opportunity to play in the NCAA tournament at Vandy, the NIL gap is significant, I'm from Indiana, etc.  

Sure, I might choose say, Texas A&M over IU because of playing time.  If the season goes well, I might get to play in the Tournament net year.  Vandy?  Not going to happen  He has a better chance of getting PT at IU because of injury or non-performance of those ahead of him on the depth chart than he does of playing meaningful basketball next March for Vanderbilt.  

An IU degree and basketball player for IU have a huge career advantage if you want to work and build a career in the state and elsewhere as well. 

I won’t be surprised if that played a role in Goode coming home. There are a lot of former players that took advantage of the uniform after their playing days ended and started careers around the state

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

We have our 13th player his name is Anthony Leal, we have our 12th his name is Newton. 11th his name is Cupps. We have no back up center. We have a 4 who has proven he cant stop making stupid fouls. you fill with the best you can get.

If healthy I see Newton in the rotation 

43 minutes ago, Indykev said:

kid hasnt played in 2 years. if he is in any rotation we arent very good.

Rice missed two years and played well and he recovered from cancer. I just feel Newton will be a big surprise and be a contributor. I see him being the backup 2 with Galloway being the backup PG

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Rice missed two years and played well and he recovered from cancer. I just feel Newton will be a big surprise and be a contributor. I see him being the backup 2 with Galloway being the backup PG

Rice missed one year. The prior year he was redshirted (non-medical), but practiced 

15 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Rice missed one year. The prior year he was redshirted (non-medical), but practiced 

I know that but he didn't play in a game for two years. Also Newton came back and played a few games his senior year 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know that but he didn't play in a game for two years. Also Newton came back and played a few games his senior year 

The big if is that he has recovered fully, since his strength was his explosiveness. If he lost a step due to the injury then I do not see him making the rotation.