2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Pg by committee I’d say. Some Galloway and probably Carlisle but neither should be running the point. 

Gallo isn’t a true pg but his command of the offense is so much better than Cupps. Cupps’ contribution on offense last year was to get the ball over half court and give up the ball asap, then run away from the ball. His per 40 assists were 2.1! Horrible for a pg. Gallo was 5.5. Cupps has to make a huge jump to be a backup pg. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Gallo isn’t a true pg but his command of the offense is so much better than Cupps. Cupps’ contribution on offense last year was to get the ball over half court and give up the ball asap, then run away from the ball. His per 40 assists were 2.1! Horrible for a pg. Gallo was 5.5. Cupps has to make a huge jump to be a backup pg. 

I have a ton of faith in him. He has bulldog mentality on defense and he has a high basketball iq. I believe his confidence will grow this year and he will excel in this role. Galloway had a different role when the ball was in his hands but I think we all agree he played best off the ball his junior year shooting well and the floor opened up without him having to over dribble to get by his man. It will be best for him to go back to that role imo. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Cupps will back up the point. He may not play a ton of minutes but he will have a very consistent role.

I think this should be the rotation 

Rice/ Galloway 

Carlyle,/ Newton 

MM/ Tucker 

Reneau/Goode

Ballo/ C from Monmouth 

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Why redshirt our only backup point guard? Maybe we can redshirt Leal or Tucker because imo they are the last two off the bench. 

Tucker has pro potential and he will be fighting for starter minutes.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If we land Hemingway, Tucker  is going to have to really ball to get minutes. Galloway, Hemingway, and Goode are all proven P6 veterans. They are going to be very difficult to supplant for minutes. 

Hemingway will not sniff Tucker minutes. 

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

I think this should be the rotation 

Rice/ Galloway 

Carlyle,/ Newton 

MM/ Tucker 

Reneau/Goode

Ballo/ C from Monmouth 

If Newton is ready to see the floor I’ll be absolutely shocked! The thing is we won’t be running NHL line shifts. These guys will flex between 2,3, & 4. Guys like Galloway and Goode and Mgbako.

Again this is if Hemingway commits I just don’t see Tucker playing ahead of him or Goode or Galloway. He will have to play really well to carve out a role.

43 minutes ago, Tru123dt said:

Hemingway will not sniff Tucker minutes. 

Tucker does not have a P6 ready body.  He has not proven himself against B1G level competition. I’ll love it if he does but he is a young freshman. I think by the end of the year he will carve out minutes and a role but he is not a 1 and done kid. He will or should be a 2-3 year kid.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Lol at the about face regarding use of the 13th scholly.  

Unless we had a kid willing to come in and redshirt Hemingway would be a perfect fit. A home state kid. Used to playing limited minutes and having a defined role. If he catches a heater you ride him. Plays 2-3 and compliments Goode who will help at the 3-4. Veteran kid…with tons of bball experience playing at a high level. Won’t blink at the competition.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Lol at the about face regarding use of the 13th scholly.  

Can't speak for others but I have no problem banking it for now, rather than adding a project.  If you give it to a quality contributor, fine, but I think it's silly to fill it with a project that only gets mop-up minutes. 12 plus walk-ons is plenty to run practice.  Hemenway seems a reasonable use if he wants it, but that puts IU in a position of needing to fill the 13th with a front court player to backup Ballo/Reneau.

That's a long winded way of saying IU is now in a position where the staff can be choosy if they want.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I have a ton of faith in him. He has bulldog mentality on defense and he has a high basketball iq. I believe his confidence will grow this year and he will excel in this role. Galloway had a different role when the ball was in his hands but I think we all agree he played best off the ball his junior year shooting well and the floor opened up without him having to over dribble to get by his man. It will be best for him to go back to that role imo. 

Idk, Cupps needs to improve a lot to be a good rotation player imo. Last year he was a non-factor on offense, and I thought he struggled defensively, often because of his size. Between Rice, Carlyle, and Galloway, I don’t think there will be many PG minutes left for Cupps.

I hope he makes a huge jump this offseason and proves me wrong.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Unless we had a kid willing to come in and redshirt Hemingway would be a perfect fit. A home state kid. Used to playing limited minutes and having a defined role. If he catches a heater you ride him. Plays 2-3 and compliments Goode who will help at the 3-4. Veteran kid…with tons of bball experience playing at a high level. Won’t blink at the competition.

I can’t imagine Woody would actually play Goode at the 4.  He wants a different element.  Maybe for a minute or two but  not  a regular thing. 

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Woodson and staff went way too quick in this portal 😆... we're going to be bored for a while.

Football portal will ramp up here soon, though. 

I would like to see Woodson add Nikita to help backup the 5 position. 

As for IU football, I don't Coach Cignetti flinching or blinking an eye much with some of these resent departures last week.

He obviously knows what he wants, especially from the buy-in and work ethic stand point.

I could see him thinking, "If you don't see a place for yourself on this team or how I run things, you better jump ship because I don't have time for you."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I can’t imagine Woody would actually play Goode at the 4.  He wants a different element.  Maybe for a minute or two but  not  a regular thing. 

The way the roster is set currently, I see Goode regularly playing the 4. Who else is going to get those minutes, based on the roster? 

MR/MM are the only 4s on that roster and we aren't recruiting one. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The way the roster is set currently, I see Goode regularly playing the 4. Who else is going to get those minutes, based on the roster? 

The backup big to ballo may also play some 4 as well.  But I'd rather see Goode there.

3 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

The backup big to ballo may also play some 4 as well.  But I'd rather see Goode there.

mmmm... don't see that. We've contacted strictly 5s, so far. 

At least with who we've seen them be in contact with so far this off-season. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

Ballo played 26 minutes a game last year. That leaves 14 up for grabs. MR is probably getting 10 of them and the back up getting the 4 remaining. 

I think we would see, or at least i want to see Goode and MM on the floor at the same time 10+ minutes a game. that combo would be 3/4. so whoever gets the 4 or the 3 doesn't really matter in that scenario. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

That’s a good point.  Maybe it will signal that Woody will play four out, at least for stretches.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s a good point.  Maybe it will signal that Woody will play four out, at least for stretches.  

Back in his first season, Woody stated he had never run the offense through the post before. For the last three years without doubt IUs best offensive player was in the post. As good as Ballo is I doubt he will be the offensive focus. Will be interesting to see what kind of offense rolls out this season.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Plus playing Goode at the 4 gives the opportunity for 4-1 on offense

Quit teasing me....for the past 3 years we've heard 4-1 offense. Have yet to see one set of it...unless it was by mistake...

Edited by DWB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was wondering about why only 4 years for Goode wam mentioned. 3 years played plus one year left was what I heard. So found this interesting:

TDH:  You missed a significant part of your sophomore year with an injury.  I’m curious if you’ve assessed whether you’ll have an opportunity to play a fifth season of college basketball?

GOODE — They (IU) actually brought that up to me on my visit.  I went into that year knowing that I potentially wouldn’t get it back, but the staff did bring it up that I could potentially get a fifth year.  That’s 100 percent something that I would look forward to.