2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

57 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....unless he has a few years of eligibility left, been sitting on the bench behind a 35-40 min starter and looking to potentially get more minutes after this year. JMO

I kind of think the way this NIL stuff has played out though most guys would go make some money somewhere else and play more....then hit the portal again next year with a greater statistical track record.

I hope we re-evaluate who we're chasing for our depth 5 piece. The only reason I was interested in the kid from Monmouth was because he had 2 years of eligibility. 

Hatton, meh. 

Woodson and staff have looked at this type of player the last 2 of 3 cycles--- Durr and Sparks-- a backup big that you can run a little offense through..  

Hatton/Monmouth kid fit that mold too. 

I don't want that. If we didn't have Goode or whatever and this spot was looking like they'd play 15-20 mins a game, maybe. 

-----------

But with Ballo-- we're going funnel things to him defensively, find a 6'10+ lurch that blocks shots and can catch oops... if Ballo goes down, or whatever else, at least we don't have to change our style of play defensively. 

Hemenway is an "auto-add".. if he wants a spot, he gets one. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I hope we re-evaluate who we're chasing for our depth 5 piece. The only reason I was interested in the kid from Monmouth was because he had 2 years of eligibility. 

Hatton, meh. 

Woodson and staff have looked at this type of player the last 2 of 3 cycles--- Durr and Sparks-- a backup big that you can run a little offense through..  

I don't want that. If we didn't have Goode or whatever and this spot was looking like they'd play 15-20 mins a game, maybe. 

-----------

But with Ballo-- we're going funnel things to him defensively, find a 6'10+ lurch that blocks shots and can catch oops... if Ballo goes down, or whatever else, at least we don't have to change our style of play defensively. 

I agree with that. The backup 5, at least has to be a shot blocking threat.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Hatton, meh. 

-----------

2 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

I agree with that. The backup 5, at least has to be a shot blocking threat.

Yes, rim protector, rebounder and 5 fouls (no, not that one). 

• Haha 4

On 5/2/2024 at 1:42 PM, btownqb said:

I am personally hoping that Vanderbilt's staff (and Maryland's) agree with this poster......

• VandyGuy96
    Posted on May 2nd, 4:09 PM, , User Since 23 months ago, User Post Count: 1946
    • May 2nd, 4:09 PM
    • 23 months
  • bsheridan15
    Posted on May 2nd, 4:12 PM, , User Since 11 months ago, User Post Count: 24
    • May 2nd, 4:12 PM
    • 11 months

6th year senior who played in 5 games last year (probably got hurt) and averaged 5ppg . Career season high 6.9ppg the year before. Pass.

3 upvotes
  • Like 1

We have 8 starters that can be mixed and matched now to make for some exciting combinations. 3pt differential, rebounding differential and controlling pace. We've got that. It's important to have the sweeping line changes sustain the team and I believe Ballo being a beast of a 4 out big means Mgbako is now a modern 4. If you look at the rest of the additions and the quality of what we're looking at to complete the roster, the likely starting line-up will eventually be: Ballo, Mgbako, Tucker, Carlyle and Rice, with Goode, Galloway, Reneau the first mass substitution. Galloway can cover 1-3 with no drop off, Goode is a 3-4 again with no drop off and Reneau is money on the right block. He allows us to change styles of lay too. 

Injuries and foul trouble will happen and Newton is a dark horse but it's inevitable. Woody will start off trying the "big line-up" but it can't work. 

I think Reneau, Mgbako, Goode, Galloway and Rice are the closers though. Ballo can't shoot fts. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ba43056 said:

We have 8 starters that can be mixed and matched now to make for some exciting combinations. 3pt differential, rebounding differential and controlling pace. We've got that. It's important to have the sweeping line changes sustain the team and I believe Ballo being a beast of a 4 out big means Mgbako is now a modern 4. If you look at the rest of the additions and the quality of what we're looking at to complete the roster, the likely starting line-up will eventually be: Ballo, Mgbako, Tucker, Carlyle and Rice, with Goode, Galloway, Reneau the first mass substitution. Galloway can cover 1-3 with no drop off, Goode is a 3-4 again with no drop off and Reneau is money on the right block. He allows us to change styles of lay too. 

Injuries and foul trouble will happen and Newton is a dark horse but it's inevitable. Woody will start off trying the "big line-up" but it can't work. 

I think Reneau, Mgbako, Goode, Galloway and Rice are the closers though. Ballo can't shoot fts. 

I wish but I don't see reneau not starting and getting major run

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ba43056 said:

I guess the key will be how good is Tucker and how soon he is ready to start. No doubt that puts the most talent on the floor. Hope it happens. 

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If Hatton is truly the best we can do, so be it. I hope we've turned over every stone before we add him. 

Agreed. With Reneau's foul problems and Ballou's size, I think there will be more minutes available than what people think.

• Like 1