2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

39 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

I've seen Hatton play a lot and I know his dad. I think he has a better game than Peyton Sparks does. He's skilled. He can shoot. He can shoot hook shots. He's pretty intelligent. Not bad for a 12th man.

Since we don’t have a backup 5 currently, I ‘m guessing Hatton will likely be in the rotation instead of a 12th man. He does seem to have some solid offensive skills for a backup big, but I’m more interested in how he is with rim protection and rebounding. Neither area looks like a strength of his, but it’s a little hard to tell just looking at stats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kdug said:

Since we don’t have a backup 5 currently, I ‘m guessing Hatton will likely be in the rotation instead of a 12th man. He does seem to have some solid offensive skills for a backup big, but I’m more interested in how he is with rim protection and rebounding. Neither area looks like a strength of his, but it’s a little hard to tell just looking at stats.

3.2% block rate. 355th in the country.  image.thumb.png.16f5b5221f57e53f9d1cb53047dc7492.png

34 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

3.2% block rate. 355th in the country.  image.thumb.png.16f5b5221f57e53f9d1cb53047dc7492.png

Yeah, I saw the 3.2% block rate, which for a rim protector wouldn’t be very good. Blocks don’t necessarily mean everything, but it signals to me that protecting the rim might not be his primary role the staff wants from him.

58 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Yeah, I saw the 3.2% block rate, which for a rim protector wouldn’t be very good. Blocks don’t necessarily mean everything, but it signals to me that protecting the rim might not be his primary role the staff wants from him.

Yeah, but we probably only need him for about 10 minutes a game, so he’s probably as good as we can get at this point. He seems like a solid player…I say go for it.

20 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Plus, he’s another Indiana kid, so hopefully, if he comes it’s because he really wants to be here, and will gladly accept his role.

Exactly.  Give me another experienced Indiana boy that feels honored to wear the jersey. That's how you create a great culture and competitive practices. Ideal for a backup.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Yeah, but we probably only need him for about 10 minutes a game, so he’s probably as good as we can get at this point. He seems like a solid player…I say go for it.

Yeah, I have no idea who would actually be willing to come explicitly as a backup without a realistic shot at major minutes, so he very well could be the best we could get for that role. I’d like a little bit different of a skillset, but realistically just need someone who can hold their own in limited minutes.

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Plus, he’s another Indiana kid, so hopefully, if he comes it’s because he really wants to be here, and will gladly accept his role.

This is certainly a plus, but Sparks was also an Indiana kid where IU was his dream school. That didn’t really work out because Sparks just wasn’t a big ten caliber player. Being an Indiana kid only really matters if they have the talent to back it up in whatever role they’re asked to be in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Yeah, I have no idea who would actually be willing to come explicitly as a backup without a realistic shot at major minutes, so he very well could be the best we could get for that role. I’d like a little bit different of a skillset, but realistically just need someone who can hold their own in limited minutes.

This is certainly a plus, but Sparks was also an Indiana kid where IU was his dream school. That didn’t really work out because Sparks just wasn’t a big ten caliber player. Being an Indiana kid only really matters if they have the talent to back it up in whatever role they’re asked to be in.

I agree. I love Indiana kids playing at IU but not at the expense of talent. You have to be able to play at high Big Ten level if only for a few minutes a game. We've had plenty of Indiana players at IU recently, but many of them do not have the talent or skill set to play meaningful or helpful minutes. 

39 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree. I love Indiana kids playing at IU but not at the expense of talent. You have to be able to play at high Big Ten level if only for a few minutes a game. We've had plenty of Indiana players at IU recently, but many of them do not have the talent or skill set to play meaningful or helpful minutes. 

In a perfect world, I agree, but you’re limited when you can only offer a player maybe 10 minutes a game, if he’s lucky. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

We couldn’t land one of the Michigan St bigs that left for portal ?  What’s their names? Sisoko and Hogard? Ballo probably only plays 20 mins a game next season. 

My hope is Reneau is coming off the bench to play the 5 and we see minimal playing time next to Ballo. Play smaller and surround Ballo with shooters and play makers like Mgbako, Galloway, Carlysle, and Rice…then we can mix Reneau, Goode, Tucker and Company in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My hope is Reneau is coming off the bench to play the 5 and we see minimal playing time next to Ballo. Play smaller and surround Ballo with shooters and play makers like Mgbako, Galloway, Carlysle, and Rice…then we can mix Reneau, Goode, Tucker and Company in.

I'd be shocked if Reneau didn't get at least 20-25 minutes with maybe ten minutes of that at the 5.  You may see him creep out to the line a little more with Ballo in the middle.  He's shown he can hit from distance.  He's also too good to play backup big only.  I'm guessing there are very few schools Reneau touldn't get at least 20 minutes with his skill set.

Edited by FKIM01

30 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

We couldn’t land one of the Michigan St bigs that left for portal ?  What’s their names? Sisoko and Hogard? Ballo probably only plays 20 mins a game next season. 

Sissoko is a big, but basically no offensive game and not a rim protector...

Hoggard is a combo guard...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Hogard is not a big 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

He’s our emergency big and is willing to play that role, there shouldn’t be any complaints, not many people would agree to that role 

2 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

In a perfect world, I agree, but you’re limited when you can only offer a player maybe 10 minutes a game, if he’s lucky. 

I understand, I just think where someone is from should only matter if he can play. If this kid is the best we can get, great. But him being from Indiana shouldn't matter for the team per se. I like the idea that guys who can play will take a limited role to play at IU because they are from Indiana though. Otherwise I don't care where they are from. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

From the clips I saw, he looks like he plays hard, scraps around and is competitive.  Not as good of a shooting stroke as the kid from Grace College but to be polite that young man’s body didn’t seem as well put together and he seemed to be a bigger risk. 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

He’s our emergency big and is willing to play that role, there shouldn’t be any complaints, not many people would agree to that role 

I mean I just don’t think that will be his role. We don’t have any backup 5s on the roster, so whoever we get will probably be in the rotation. I see this more comparable to the minutes Anthony Walker got last year rather than an emergency depth piece.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I mean I just don’t think that will be his role. We don’t have any backup 5s on the roster, so whoever we get will probably be in the rotation. I see this more comparable to the minutes Anthony Walker got last year rather than an emergency depth piece.

I get what you’re getting at but considering he’s the only other big were getting i think we’ll see mgbako/goode at the 4 and MR at the 5 more often that we did this past season. More 3 guard sets. I’m sure he’ll get his minutes but i expect nothing more than a sparks role.

• Like 1