Morgan withdraws from NBA draft

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has to accept that if he returns this IU team could be special and down right dangerous!  Why would you give up that opp for something special than to go undrafted and hope some team signs you as a FA or worse go overseas?  Doesn’t make any sense at all, SMDH.

10 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

He has to accept that if he returns this IU team could be special and down right dangerous!  Why would you give up that opp for something special than to go undrafted and hope some team signs you as a FA or worse go overseas?  Doesn’t make any sense at all, SMDH.

Would you work for free for a great company if another company offered you a lot of money?

16 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Perhaps he finds out through this process that he has little chance of making it to the NBA no matter what he does next year at IU. And he’d rather play basketball for money overseas than play for free at IU and have to take classes while doing so. Absolutely nothing wrong with that hypothetical. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Would you work for free for a great company if another company offered you a lot of money?

Not if having success improves my draft stock tremendously!  I mean what does he have to lose by staying one more yr can’t go any further South?  Big Ten player of the yr on a potential final four team will do wonders for draft position and at this point it’s worth a shot. If we’re talking potential 1st/2nd rd pick that’s one thing but the projection of undrafted makes zero sense here end of story.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Developmentally the NBA is far superior than college is my only point. 

Theres nothing college could have done more to expand their games than the NBA could. 

Yes and no. No question players can be fully developed at the NBA level with 100% time spent on body, skill development, practicing against NBA teammates, etc. OG of course is one of many examples. On the other hand, there's plenty of proof that many players coming in as seniors are more NBA-ready, and it's another season of playing heavy minutes (as opposed to much less actual game play, outside the G League, or overseas, for the average rookie) and developing areas of weakness (e.g., consistent outside shot). 

9 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Perhaps he finds out through this process that he has little chance of making it to the NBA no matter what he does next year at IU. And he’d rather play basketball for money overseas than play for free at IU and have to take classes while doing so. Absolutely nothing wrong with that hypothetical. 

Well said, I guess that’s where my older age don’t agree as I would rather play for the name on the chest that recruited me and I once conveyed.  The classes aspect I can agree on but let’s hope JM decides to help put IU back on the Map!

One additional component that not many have mentioned when it comes to fringe players like Juwan contemplating if they should come back or not...these players' bodies only allow them to play until early 30's. That's about 10-12 years of earnings potential if you think about it from a "career perspective". If they're trying to set themselves up for the rest of their life through basketball ideally...one year is huge especially for fringe players who aren't making mega million dollars a year...aka Juwan. 

With that said, Juwan could also make memories for a lifetime next year if we're able to do something special. Something he will legitimately never forget for the rest of his life...and also something that playing in the D league or overseas will almost undoubtedly not be able to come close to matching from a "memories" perspective. Neither answer is wrong, it's just a big pros/cons list that only Juwan knows how to best answer based on his life circumstances. 

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I've worked contingency since I left IU. I work for free (technically) and expect the payoff down the road. Plenty of fields work the same. So to answer your question....yes. Plenty of us do work for free for a company....and yes we get offers by other companies for guaranteed compensation but that usually means a smaller payout. Is it a risk? Yes. Does it work all the time? No. But the larger payouts occur far more often than taking the guarantees.

That's my issue with Juwan. The G league will be here next year....so if he heads to the pros...he must believe the G League  experience far outweighs playing on national tv (more at IU vs G league) compared to IU. Because it isn't about $ at the G league amounts. $7k per month, $35k per 5 months. I know bartenders/servers who make more.

Forgetting about what we as fan want, and how special the season could be if he returned.  He has to think about his career.  Does he take the chance to get hurt and further lower his stock or end his career.  Did a team tell him they would pick him up in the summer league if he played well.  Is he hearing about a 7 figure contract form overseas?  Is he hearing from a team that wants him in the 2nd round maybe?  Fun to discuss and debate though.  And i hope he returns to pair with Romeo.  If not, good luck and next man up

36 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Forgetting about what we as fan want, and how special the season could be if he returned.  He has to think about his career.  Does he take the chance to get hurt and further lower his stock or end his career.  Did a team tell him they would pick him up in the summer league if he played well.  Is he hearing about a 7 figure contract form overseas?  Is he hearing from a team that wants him in the 2nd round maybe?  Fun to discuss and debate though.  And i hope he returns to pair with Romeo.  If not, good luck and next man up

Absolutely. There can be much to consider for a young man, and his family, looking at professional opportunity and the chance to realize his dream, and make a living playing a game.

But I think we hear something positive, from what we as fans want. :cheers:

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

Neither needed another year at IU. That is a myth IU fans have created. You further yourself the most (when you're in Vonleh and Zellers position) when you are in the NBA. Morgan is completely different from those 2. 

It depends on what you goals are.  Is it to just get to the league and make money or do you want to get there when you know you can be a contributor.

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

But college basketball players are not playing for free.  Tell me what other college student has a job that pays them well over $30,000 a year.  If these kids are smart they should have enough spending money to last them the whole semester.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

But college basketball players are not playing for free.  Tell me what other college student has a job that pays them well over $30,000 a year.  If these kids are smart they should have enough spending money to last them the whole semester.

Kentucky basketball players.  Although, the student part is in question.

9 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

One additional component that not many have mentioned when it comes to fringe players like Juwan contemplating if they should come back or not...these players' bodies only allow them to play until early 30's. That's about 10-12 years of earnings potential if you think about it from a "career perspective". If they're trying to set themselves up for the rest of their life through basketball ideally...one year is huge especially for fringe players who aren't making mega million dollars a year...aka Juwan. 

With that said, Juwan could also make memories for a lifetime next year if we're able to do something special. Something he will legitimately never forget for the rest of his life...and also something that playing in the D league or overseas will almost undoubtedly not be able to come close to matching from a "memories" perspective. Neither answer is wrong, it's just a big pros/cons list that only Juwan knows how to best answer based on his life circumstances. 

Marginal players are not guaranteed anything so they might not even have that big of a earnings potential.  it is just me but there is no way I would give up playing college basketball to play over seas or the G-League.

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It depends on what you goals are.  Is it to just get to the league and make money or do you want to get there when you know you can be a contributor.

Zeller was absolutely ready. Both were top 10 picks when they came out. There is really no sense in coming back when you're in those twos position, which is what we were talking about. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Zeller was absolutely ready. Both were top 10 picks when they came out. There is really no sense in coming back when you're in those twos position, which is what we were talking about. 

His draft stock would have not went up but I feel like if some of these kids stayed for 4 years they would be able to contribute more when they get tot he NBA.  Again it comes down to what is important, is it just getting the paycheck as soon as possible or go when you know you can stick and be a big contributor.  I am talking in general and not just about the IU players.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

His draft stock would have not went up but I feel like if some of these kids stayed for 4 years they would be able to contribute more when they get tot he NBA.  Again it comes down to what is important, is it just getting the paycheck as soon as possible or go when you know you can stick and be a big contributor.  I am talking in general and not just about the IU players.

But who are these players that are top 10 that could better themselves by staying in college? Cody was 2nd team all rookie and played in every game. Noah played in 25 games as a rookie then 70+ as a 2nd and 3rd year player. Neither would have benefited from coming back. Both have stuck just fine in the NBA. Noah made 4 million last year.. will make 4.7 million this year. Avged 7 and 7 in his 20 games with the Bulls. Cody made 12.5 million, will make 13.5 million next year, 14.5 million two years from now and 15.5 million the following year. 

I'm not even arguing that Morgan should go pro just to be clear. I think he should come back because he might not even make it as a pro and maybe he doesn't want to play overseas. That degree could worth much more than playing overseas. (I realize he could go back and get it, but still). 

Just simply Cody and Vonleh situations weren't the same as Morgans. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But who are these players that are top 10 that could better themselves by staying in college? Cody was 2nd team all rookie and played in every game. Noah played in 25 games as a rookie then 70+ as a 2nd and 3rd year player. Neither would have benefited from coming back. Both have stuck just fine in the NBA. Noah made 4 million last year.. will make 4.7 million this year. Avged 7 and 7 in his 20 games with the Bulls. Cody made 12.5 million, will make 13.5 million next year, 14.5 million two years from now and 15.5 million the following year. 

They are no better than role players  and to me that is not worth leaving college early.  I guess I just will agree to disagree with you on this because I know I am in the minority here.  Money is not the driving force in my life and I would look at it as the NBA and the money will always be there but my youth will be short lived.  My thinking is why grow up early when you don't have and have to worry about all the adult stuff like handling money and paying bills. 

I am the one who would not leave early even if I was going to be the #1 pick in the draft.  I have seen plenty of all time great players stay for 3 to 4 years and it never effected their career one bit.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They are no better than role players  and to me that is not worth leaving college early.  I guess I just will agree to disagree with you on this because I know I am in the minority here.  Money is not the driving force in my life and I would look at it as the NBA and the money will always be there but my youth will be short lived.  My thinking is why grow up early when you don't have and have to worry about all the adult stuff like handling money and paying bills. 

I am the one who would not leave early even if I was going to be the #1 pick in the draft.  I have seen plenty of all time great players stay for 3 to 4 years and it never effected their career one bit.

But they better themselves the best, professionally, by going pro. It's absolutely conceivable that Vonleh didn't like going to class or studying. There's also plenty of examples of people staying that hurt their career earnings. 

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But they better themselves the best, professionally, by going pro. It's absolutely conceivable that Vonleh didn't like going to class or studying. There's also plenty of examples of people staying that hurt their career earnings. 

I probably could also post a list of players who hurt themselves by leaving early as well.

It all boils down to how strongly a player desires to play for pay.  As a bit of a devil's advocate, if that's the main motivation he should go the very second he's eligible to.  He can make some money, develop, and avoid potential injury playing as an amateur.  Heck, he can always go to college later on if things don't work out.  The rebuttal would be that this likely leads to a lot of kids that would be living with shattered dreams and uncertain futures if/when they find themselves out of the league(s).  And how many regular people have you known that decided to chase a dream out of high school, saying they would go to college later - and never do, ending up in a mediocre (or worse) job.

IMO, the smart approach is to be realistic about your chances in the professional basketball world (that's what the "getting feedback' part is for) and, if you really think you will flourish, go for it when you are at your maximum value.  Guys like Zeller did just that.  Cody was a very good college player who was ready for the NBA, he will never be a superstar, but he left when the time was best.  What we all hope for is that a player makes that decision when they are not only ready basketball wise, but maturity wise.

Archived