IU hosts Marquette in 2018-19

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If weren't for the threat of Romeo getting in foul trouble he would guard him. I would bet Green will get him mostly, DG has a 4 inch height advantage. 

I'd think Green and some Al. Doubt we see a lot of RP this game; it's early in the season and we need length on him. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd think Green and some Al. Doubt we see a lot of RP this game; it's early in the season and we need length on him. 

I meant to post that as well.. Durham will play plenty this game. They have 2 other 6'3 kids that RP could match up with though. 

17 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

When I heard this news, I initially thought, “Didn’t we just play Marquette in the Gavitt Games at the beginning of the 2015-2016 season?”  Had to go back and look, and realized it was Creighton.  No difference to me.

Tom Crean, upon learning we drew UNC in the B1G/ACC Challenge in 2012 said, "When I heard this news, I initially thought, "Didn't North Carolina just destroy us in 2009?" Had to go back and look, and realized it was Ole Miss. No difference to me."

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Marquette isn't relevant in the college basketball landscape at this time... and that's the only landscape that matters. They're an avg team. Them being above avg in the 70s does not change their mediocrity right now. Fact

They went to an elite 8 in 2013

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Marquette isn't relevant in the college basketball landscape at this time... and that's the only landscape that matters. They're an avg team. Them being above avg in the 70s does not change their mediocrity right now. Fact

Let me start by saying, really excited to play you guys! Is it generally easy to get tickets or do you suggest buying them extremely early? I'm definitely making the trip with some college buddies. 

Second:

what do you define as relevant? We aren't what we were under Buzz or Crean, though we should be ranked preseason and have a good team this year. 

From where I'm standing the average college basketball recruit was born in 2000. Thus in the average recruit's lifetime IU and MU have the same amount of Tournament appearances, same amount of second weekend appearances, we've actually gone to the Elite 8 more, though granted in the final four we got embarrassed and you advanced. It seems pretty comparable to me. So in essence you're either saying to the average basketball recruit both IU and MU are no longer relevant, or you're completely lost on how we've been since 2000. 

Again, thrilled to be playing you all! 

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

OK 5 of the top 7 with 4 graduating and Gates leaving the program.  Also they lost their HC so yes they will be rebuilding.

4 of their top 7. They had nice FR this past and again bring in 3 grad transfers. I guess they'll be rebuilding because they won't be top 5 again? Wouldn't surprise me at all if they're better than Marq.. they'll certainly be more talented. 

9 minutes ago, Marq fan said:

Let me start by saying, really excited to play you guys! Is it generally easy to get tickets or do you suggest buying them extremely early? I'm definitely making the trip with some college buddies. 

Second:

what do you define as relevant? We aren't what we were under Buzz or Crean, though we should be ranked preseason and have a good team this year. 

From where I'm standing the average college basketball recruit was born in 2000. Thus in the average recruit's lifetime IU and MU have the same amount of Tournament appearances, same amount of second weekend appearances, we've actually gone to the Elite 8 more, though granted in the final four we got embarrassed and you advanced. It seems pretty comparable to me. So in essence you're either saying to the average basketball recruit both IU and MU are no longer relevant, or you're completely lost on how we've been since 2000. 

We aren't overly relevant right now either. But with our facilities and instate recruits that can change and it appears it already has with Romeo. Comparing Indiana to Marquette in a relevance standpoint is senseless. Their success compared to ours the last 18 years is for sure comparable though. Kids aren't thinking about Marquette. The poster I was quoting has a habit of assuming teams that did well in the 70s and 80s are just always so good, in which this case he is completely off base. 

If you're going to buy tickets you had better get them as soon as they go on sale or it'll be hard to get one. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

4 of their top 7. They had nice FR this past and again being in 3 grad transfers. I guess they'll be rebuilding because they won't be top 5 again? Wouldn't surprise me at all if they're better than Marq.. they'll certainly be more talented. 

they lost Blueitt, Macura, Kanter, O'Meara and Gates which is 5 of the top 7 scorers from last year.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

They are 237-137 over the last 10 years and made the tournament 7 times.  Is this great no but they are a better program than you are making them out to be.

That's not relevant... I never said they were a bad program because I don't think that. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You might want to check this again because those guys I mentioned were 5 of the top 7 scorers form last year and they are all gone.  4 of them graduated and Gates has transferred from the program. 

Goodin, Marshall, and Jones all back 4 of their top 7 are gone. 

Screenshot_20180515-140735_Photo Editor.jpg

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Goodin, Marshall, and Jones all back 4 of their top 7 are gone. 

Screenshot_20180515-140735_Photo Editor.jpg

The one you showed before had O'meara ahead of Jones on their stat lines.

Trevon Bluiett 5 SR G 6-6 215 Indianapolis, IN Park Tudor HS 19.3 Pts, 5.5 Reb, 2.5 Ast
J.P. Macura 55 SR G 6-5 190 Lakeville, MN North HS 12.9 Pts, 4.5 Reb, 2.9 Ast
Kerem Kanter 11 SR F 6-9 245 Turkey IMG Academy 10.9 Pts, 4.5 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Quentin Goodin 3 SO G 6-4 194 Campbellsville, KY Taylor County High School 8.7 Pts, 2.9 Reb, 4.9 Ast
Naji Marshall 13 FR F 6-7 218 Atlantic City, NJ   7.7 Pts, 4.4 Reb, 1.6 Ast
Kaiser Gates 22 JR F 6-8 205 Alpharetta, GA St. Francis HS 7.2 Pts, 4.6 Reb, 0.9 Ast
Sean O'Mara 54   F 6-10 247 Glen Ellyn, IL Benet Academy 6.7 Pts, 3.2 Reb, 1.0 Ast
Tyrique Jones

18 minutes ago, Marq fan said:

Second:

Welcome to posting here Marq fan.

We're always up for good fan discussion from other teams and opponents, just bear in mind you'll probably have to deal a little with posts about the perceived relevance of your program, etc., kind of goes with the territory on a team's message board -- that said, we like to keep it civil here, plenty of room for discussion without a lack of civility!

IU has been up and down, with a fair amount of down since our last Finals appearance in 01, and the recovery from the Knight firing has been a long one, exacerbated by what our program went through with the NCAA investigation of Sampson and his firing. That said, and I say this with all respect, no one outside Marquette would put IU and Marquette in the same category of basketball programs. The program went through plenty of up and down under Crean, something you can probably relate to.

We are a blue blood that has been up and down recently, but even recently has been the nation's longest running #1 ranked program, has multiple B1G championships and several SW16s.

IU is primed to return with a strong incoming, #9 ranked recruiting class headlined by top 5 Romeo Langford, and returning players like Juwan Morgan, likely a first team all B1G this season. 

Looking forward to the game, and please feel free to keep the conversation going!

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The one you showed before had O'meara ahead of Jones on their stat lines.

Trevon Bluiett 5 SR G 6-6 215 Indianapolis, IN Park Tudor HS 19.3 Pts, 5.5 Reb, 2.5 Ast
J.P. Macura 55 SR G 6-5 190 Lakeville, MN North HS 12.9 Pts, 4.5 Reb, 2.9 Ast
Kerem Kanter 11 SR F 6-9 245 Turkey IMG Academy 10.9 Pts, 4.5 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Quentin Goodin 3 SO G 6-4 194 Campbellsville, KY Taylor County High School 8.7 Pts, 2.9 Reb, 4.9 Ast
Naji Marshall 13 FR F 6-7 218 Atlantic City, NJ   7.7 Pts, 4.4 Reb, 1.6 Ast
Kaiser Gates 22 JR F 6-8 205 Alpharetta, GA St. Francis HS 7.2 Pts, 4.6 Reb, 0.9 Ast
Sean O'Mara 54   F 6-10 247 Glen Ellyn, IL Benet Academy 6.7 Pts, 3.2 Reb, 1.0 Ast
Tyrique Jones

We probably need to break this down by who the top scorers were against each level of competition to see who the key players they are truly losing.

Who were the top 7 against the Top 100 RPI? 

Who were the top 7 against the 101-200 RPI?

Who were the top 7 against the 200+ RPI?

I think this would give us a better indication of who scored when the competition was good versus who got the garbage points against the cupcakes. Any volunteers??

:coffee:

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Welcome to posting here Marq fan.

We're always up for good fan discussion from other teams and opponents, just bear in mind you'll probably have to deal a little with posts about the perceived relevance of your program, etc., kind of goes with the territory on a team's message board -- that said, we like to keep it civil here, plenty of room for discussion without a lack of civility!

IU has been up and down, with a fair amount of down since our last Finals appearance in 01, and the recovery from the Knight firing has been a long one, exacerbated by what our program went through with the NCAA investigation of Sampson and his firing. That said, and I say this with all respect, no one outside Marquette would put IU and Marquette in the same category of basketball programs. The program went through plenty of up and down under Crean, something you can probably relate to.

We are a blue blood that has been up and down recently, but even recently has been the nation's longest running #1 ranked program, has multiple B1G championships and several SW16s.

IU is primed to return with a strong incoming, #9 ranked recruiting class headlined by top 5 Romeo Langford, and returning players like Juwan Morgan, likely a first team all B1G this season. 

Looking forward to the game, and please feel free to keep the conversation going!

One correction we made the final four in 02

30 minutes ago, Marq fan said:

Second:

Welcome! With Romeo coming into the program, I think tickets this year will be very difficult to get.

We are going to rely on a lot of new players this year as we lost 4 major contributors (not all starters) plus Tim Priller to graduation. 

Looking forward to playing you as well. I realize this isn't IU scheduling this game, but I hope CAM continues to beef up our pre-conference schedule with more games like this.

Archived