The Off-Topic Thread

I was thinking about some of the various rule changes/differences I've observed over the years.  Back in the ABA they had some unique ones like giving a player 3 shots to make 2 (3 for 2)  or 2 shots to make one (2 for 1) when in the bonus.  They also had a force out rule without calling a foul.  Sometime, in some league they also had a rule where if a player exceeded the number of fouls (fouled out), he could re-enter the game but any time he fouled the other team got the shots, a technical shot and/or possession.  Finally, back in the day the Iowa H.S. girls game was played with 3 offensive players and 3 defensive players on the court for each team - the players never crossed mid-court.  That was kind of a neat way of playing, but they eventually scrapped it and went with the conventional 5 on 5, full court game.  Any other strange rules or modifications anyone remembers from pro, college, or HS basketball?

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I was thinking about some of the various rule changes/differences I've observed over the years.  Back in the ABA they had some unique ones like giving a player 3 shots to make 2 (3 for 2)  or 2 shots to make one (2 for 1) when in the bonus.  They also had a force out rule without calling a foul.  Sometime, in some league they also had a rule where if a player exceeded the number of fouls (fouled out), he could re-enter the game but any time he fouled the other team got the shots, a technical shot and/or possession.  Finally, back in the day the Iowa H.S. girls game was played with 3 offensive players and 3 defensive players on the court for each team - the players never crossed mid-court.  That was kind of a neat way of playing, but they eventually scrapped it and went with the conventional 5 on 5, full court game.  Any other strange rules or modifications anyone remembers from pro, college, or HS basketball?

my mother played point guard in college, way back when (Smith College), and told me about how she couldn't cross mid-court. Pretty funny rule.

One thing I'll throw out there with regards to the ref hitting a minor... they may be 16 or 17 but they have the body of full-grown men who are in great shape. IF charges were to be filled, everyone involved would probably be tried as an adult. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

One thing I'll throw out there with regards to the ref hitting a minor... they may be 16 or 17 but they have the body of full-grown men who are in great shape. IF charges were to be filled, everyone involved would probably be tried as an adult. 

That's probably a good point. But I know it can be a sticky subject sometimes. 

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure what people expected the referees to do when they were getting ganged up on by several teenagers? Run away? It's not like these were 5 year olds trying to fight them.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I'm not sure what people expected the referees to do when they were getting ganged up on by several teenagers? Run away? It's not like these were 5 year olds trying to fight them.

Not condoning the behavior, but this isn't self defense: 

Once he got up and started pushing his way to get past other players so he could swing at the minor, he is subject to charges, for taking swings at a minor. Yeah he was knocked to the floor, yeah the "kid" is big, but no, as a ref you don't get to go pushing your way through people to swing at a minor.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not condoning the behavior, but this isn't self defense: 

Once he got up and started pushing his way to get past other players so he could swing at the minor, he is subject to charges, for taking swings at a minor. Yeah he was knocked to the floor, yeah the "kid" is big, but no, as a ref you don't get to go pushing your way through people to swing at a minor.

Yeah...that's bad. No defense for that.

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah. Have to question why his shirt is off, too. Did he take it off to fight? 

That move always cracks me up..."I'm shirtless...now I can kick your @ss!"

That move is probably where the phrase "keep your shirt on" came from.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I REAAAALLLLLY hope the accusations made against LeSean McCoy aren't true. And if they are.. he should do jail time. 

Very, very disturbing photos. If those are true and they aren't a money scam/extortion for $....he can kiss his playing days goodbye and more than likely his freedom. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Very, very disturbing photos. If those are true and they aren't a money scam/extortion for $....he can kiss his playing days goodbye and more than likely his freedom. 

He's already denied them, so we'll see. I will say, I was shocked when ppl were astonished by what a video (Ray Rice) would look like when an NFL Pro Bowl RB would hit a woman. (Please understand I am not trying to make light of the situation and domestic abuse is awful) but... like what did ppl think it was going to look like? You know? This guy probably squats 650... dudes a walking muscle hitting a 130lbs woman, of course it's going to look gruesome. 

Really hope my tone is conveyed correctly in this post. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't see this posted. Sherron Wilkerson hired as new boys coach at Shawe Memorial. Knowing him pretty well during my and his time at IU I couldn't be happier for him.

Thanks for the intel.  Knowing him as well as you do, I believe  you will agree with me that things haven't always come easy for Sherron.  I too, am happy for him..... and can only wish him the best going forward. 

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't see this posted. Sherron Wilkerson hired as new boys coach at Shawe Memorial. Knowing him pretty well during my and his time at IU I couldn't be happier for him.

In 1A you've always got a shot. One of my best friends coaches at Springs Valley and he says it's easily the most "open" class. Should also help with Hughes out at BR now. 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

In 1A you've always got a shot. One of my best friends coaches at Springs Valley and he says it's easily the most "open" class. Should also help with Hughes out at BR now. 

Springs Valley, huh ?   Springs Valley ?  Seems as if I recall a famous player from Springs Valley.   LOL

Those were the days. 

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Facebook rumor today had Luke Zeller interested in the BR job.  No idea if there's anything to it beyond internet chatter.

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Facebook rumor today had Luke Zeller interested in the BR job.  No idea if there's anything to it beyond internet chatter.

Interestingly enough. Luke landed a position in 2017 at IU,  as an adjunct instructor in Sports Management. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for the intel.  Knowing him as well as you do, I believe  you will agree with me that things haven't always come easy for Sherron.  I too, am happy for him..... and can only wish him the best going forward. 

Without going into details it was my first introduction of what is being reported and what actually happened are sometimes two very different things.

Sometimes the best lessons taught at school or wherever aren't in the classroom. Sherron made mistakes but his mistakes were reported not just locally but nationally because of who he played for and where he played at. Doesn't excuse the behavior at all but I know he learned a great deal from his mistakes very early in life. Cost him a chance at pro career too. Just glad he's in the gym.

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Without going into details it was my first introduction of what is being reported and what actually happened are sometimes two very different things.

Sometimes the best lessons taught at school or wherever aren't in the classroom. Sherron made mistakes but his mistakes were reported not just locally but nationally because of who he played for and where he played at. Doesn't excuse the behavior at all but I know he learned a great deal from his mistakes very early in life. Cost him a chance at pro career too. Just glad he's in the gym.

Yeah, I won't go into details either.  Other than taking his Indiana  Mr. Basketball award away from him was a travesty, as far as I am concerned.  The rest, after that, needs not to be rehashed.  Just glad that he is doing fine.  And others are not letting what happened to him in the past, stand in the way of a job right now.

On 7/9/2018 at 10:37 AM, Zuckerkorn said:

I hated the 3 for 2 free throw rule.  

Archived