The Off-Topic Thread

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

But even a mediocre coach will still allow the University to earn millions. Look at Texas....barely mediocre for the last decade and they still out pace the field almost by double. Michigan could have Jerry Sandusky coaching it and it would still make a fortune. They are going to sell out basically every game....they have a huge tv contract...licensing of apparel etc...sure a good coach and successful team will net you more...but even a bad one and that university will still make money hand over fist.

That is the point from the subsequent posts.  College sports is driven by football.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I believe you and your family might enjoy this You Tube Channel.  They post nearly daily. Mostly Disney, but other theme parks as well. And have been doing it for many years now.  I have to admit, I am addicted to their channel.

TheTimTracker - YouTube

Thanks Mile.  Looks like there is some interesting stuff on there.  Will have to check it out before our next trip.

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

For me, it's not the ride itself, but the experience with my kids.  Even though they are now 12 and 14, it's a great feeling to be around them when they are laughing and having fun.  

I love Disney World and their kind of rides.  I am not a roller coaster person so I just wait for my kids to ride them.  My kids are 21 and 18 so they don't really need me to take them anymore.  In the last 12 years we have went to Disney 4 times and we all love it but it is just getting so costly.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I love Disney World and their kind of rides.  I am not a roller coaster person so I just wait for my kids to ride them.  My kids are 21 and 18 so they don't really need me to take them anymore.  In the last 12 years we have went to Disney 4 times and we all love it but it is just getting so costly.

By the way.  Like in Las Vegas, Disney now charges to park. 

Here's another site you and 5fouls might find useful in planning a Disney trip :

AllEars.Net - The Unofficial Disney Vacation Planning Guide - Walt Disney World, Disneyland and Disney Cruise Line

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

which park? We did the animal kingdom and walt disney world last summer, enjoyed them, but besides the animals, as a pure theme park, found Universal Studios better

When we go, we stay onsite at Disney and visit all 4 parks that are part of the Disney World complex.  I'll be the first to admit that Disney is not for everyone.  Certainly, there are a lot of parks with a better selection of thrill rides.  For us, the rides are just one of many factors why we like it so much.  The shows are great, the different resorts are unique and offer a variety of amenities, everything is fantastically themed, etc.  Put it all together, and it brings out the kid in us.  And, to top it off, we've been visiting since the kids were little, so there are a lot of memories as well.

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

which park? We did the animal kingdom and walt disney world last summer, enjoyed them, but besides the animals, as a pure theme park, found Universal Studios better

We always get the park hopper pas where you can go to more than one park per day/  We also stay at one of the Disney's resorts where you never have to get into your car if you don't want to.  MY favorite ride at Disney is Sorrin in Epcot but my favorite park is Magic Kingdom

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Here's another site you and 5fouls might find useful in planning a Disney trip :

AllEars.Net - The Unofficial Disney Vacation Planning Guide - Walt Disney World, Disneyland and Disney Cruise Line

Thanks again Mile.  My wife uses that site for a lot of our planning.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

We always stay at the resorts and always rode the bus to the parks and never had to ay to park.  Now it sounds like if you bring your car you will have to pay to park at the resorts.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When we go, we stay onsite at Disney and visit all 4 parks that are part of the Disney World complex.  I'll be the first to admit that Disney is not for everyone.  Certainly, there are a lot of parks with a better selection of thrill rides.  For us, the rides are just one of many factors why we like it so much.  The shows are great, the different resorts are unique and offer a variety of amenities, everything is fantastically themed, etc.  Put it all together, and it brings out the kid in us.  And, to top it off, we've been visiting since the kids were little, so there are a lot of memories as well.

My favorite show to watch is the Lion King musical at Animal Kingdom

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

We always get the park hopper pas where you can go to more than one park per day/  We also stay at one of the Disney's resorts where you never have to get into your car if you don't want to.  MY favorite ride at Disney is Sorrin in Epcot but my favorite park is Magic Kingdom

We're park hoppers as well.  I like Soarin as well.  It's probably in my top 7 or 8.  I do enjoy the coasters.  The theming on all of theme is fantastic.  My daughter and wife won't do Rock n' RollerCoaster though, so it's just me and my son on that one.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We're park hoppers as well.  I like Soarin as well.  It's probably in my top 7 or 8.  I do enjoy the coasters.  The theming on all of theme is fantastic.  My daughter and wife won't do Rock n' RollerCoaster though, so it's just me and my son on that one.

My son and daughter rides the roller coasters but my daughter did not like Rock n Rollercoaster.  My biggest mistake at Disney was going on Mission Space because there were 4 of us on the trip and you need 4 people in your crew.  I have never threw up so much in my life on the ride.  The bad thing was that it was our last day at Disney and it was our first ride of the day.  I was so sick I had too go back our room and I pretty much stayed there the rest of the day.  My kids and their friend went back to the park but not me.

What resorts do you stay at when you go to Disney.  3 times we stay at Port Orleans but we went to a value resort last time at the Art of Animation.  Even now the value resorts cost around $2,300 for a 5 day pass so it is getting to costly for me.  With being a sing dad with one income it is hard for me to afford going any longer.   Before my kids turned 17 I was able to afford it because I was able to get over $3,000 a year for child credit on my tax refund.  when I was getting around $7,500 in tax refunds I could justify using some of it on going to Disney but now when I get only $3,000 I can't justify using all of it on a vacation to Disney.

Heritage High School in Monroeville.  They were good a while back.  They have fallen some since moving to 3A after Harding was closed.  TBH though, I have not followed as closely in recent years.

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

First day of "official" football practice started today. Anybody have a HS they follow pretty close? We have 72 kids this year out for football, most we have ever had. 

7 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Heritage High School in Monroeville.  They were good a while back.  They have fallen some since moving to 3A after Harding was closed.  TBH though, I have not followed as closely in recent years.

Gotcha. We are one of the 5 smallest 3As in the state. 

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

First day of "official" football practice started today. Anybody have a HS they follow pretty close? We have 72 kids this year out for football, most we have ever had. 

I root for whoever is playing Brownstown.  :coffee:

53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My son and daughter rides the roller coasters but my daughter did not like Rock n Rollercoaster.  My biggest mistake at Disney was going on Mission Space because there were 4 of us on the trip and you need 4 people in your crew.  I have never threw up so much in my life on the ride.  The bad thing was that it was our last day at Disney and it was our first ride of the day.  I was so sick I had too go back our room and I pretty much stayed there the rest of the day.  My kids and their friend went back to the park but not me.

What resorts do you stay at when you go to Disney.  3 times we stay at Port Orleans but we went to a value resort last time at the Art of Animation.  Even now the value resorts cost around $2,300 for a 5 day pass so it is getting to costly for me.  With being a sing dad with one income it is hard for me to afford going any longer.   Before my kids turned 17 I was able to afford it because I was able to get over $3,000 a year for child credit on my tax refund.  when I was getting around $7,500 in tax refunds I could justify using some of it on going to Disney but now when I get only $3,000 I can't justify using all of it on a vacation to Disney.

Most of our stays have been at Port Orleans or Caribbean Beach.  Last time we went in October, 2016, Hurricane Matthew shut the whole place down for a day and a half.

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Most of our stays have been at Port Orleans or Caribbean Beach.  Last time we went in October, 2016, Hurricane Matthew shut the whole place down for a day and a half.

We stay at Caribbean Beach.  However, beware.  Currently it is under heavy renovation.  Much needed, IMHO.

Here is an update of the renovation from Tim Tracker, just a couple of days ago :

An Updated Look At Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, Riviera Resort & Skyliner Construction Progress! 

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Oh for sure, time with family and going back to the places you went together when they were little is time well spent. I'm not knocking on Disney World, particularly liked animal kingdom, just personally preferred the Universal park - but if you have time for both, that's time well spent too!

We hit three of the Disney parks and Universal in one trip. I don't remember the name of the hotel for Disney that we stayed at, it's the one on site with all the zoo animals, very cool.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

We always stay at the resorts and always rode the bus to the parks and never had to ay to park.  Now it sounds like if you bring your car you will have to pay to park at the resorts.

Yes. Pay for parking at the resorts started in 2017.  One good thing is that Disney started construction on a new transportation system in 2017 called the Skyliner.  It will connect resorts such as the Caribbean, and others, that were once out of the way to many parts of Disney World.

Disney Skyliner Gondola Construction Update - Disney Tourist Blog

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Figure this would get more attention over here. Fired employee (still paid by ESPN) Brett McMurphy has obtained text messages showing Urban Meyer knew of domestic violence allegations made by his coach in 2015 despite denying last week. 

He wins a lot of games, no way will OSU do anything about this.

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Figure this would get more attention over here. Fired employee (still paid by ESPN) Brett McMurphy has obtained text messages showing Urban Meyer knew of domestic violence allegations made by his coach in 2015 despite denying last week. 

Exactly allegations, who cares if he knew or not?  What was he supposed to do fire the guy because of allegations?  This "got you now society" or the total hypocrisy of people in the media is a joke.  Urban Meyer isn't the babysitter of his coaching staff, nor should he have to disclose to the public he knew about "allegations" back in 2015.  Maybe the media can dig up some dirt on Urban or any other coach from when they were 5 years old spitting and throwing dirt at the neighbor kid.  The media sucks and journalism is a dead profession, it's more TMZ, "how much you want for the dirt" bulls***.

1 hour ago, Montana Hoosier said:

Exactly allegations, who cares if he knew or not?  What was he supposed to do fire the guy because of allegations?  This "got you now society" or the total hypocrisy of people in the media is a joke.  Urban Meyer isn't the babysitter of his coaching staff, nor should he have to disclose to the public he knew about "allegations" back in 2015.  Maybe the media can dig up some dirt on Urban or any other coach from when they were 5 years old spitting and throwing dirt at the neighbor kid.  The media sucks and journalism is a dead profession, it's more TMZ, "how much you want for the dirt" bulls***.

Exactly. It was reported that the same source who found Newcombs old tweets was the same source who found the tweets of Trea Turner.. does anyone else find that odd? Both of those players' tweets were sent 6+ years ago. 

Archived