FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It didn't really say it in the article, but I'm assuming that 98% of the money spent on the basketball team went to Pitino.  The deal was $160 million a year for 10 years, and Pitino made $1.5 million the two years they said.  If he made 98% of all of that money, he'd make close to $16 million a year.  The basketball team got basically nothing those two years.

But, we're supposed to believe a company is paying you $1.5 million a year, and you are completely clueless when they pay one of your assistants and one of your recruits to come play for you.  Oh yeah, seems totally believable.  Nothing fishy at all.

11 minutes ago, Sagamore said:

The Super-Duper AD also had a sweetheart deal too - they overpaid many of his perks so he would not need to pay taxes.  

Got lifetime tickets to football and basketball tickets not just him but his whole family.  

Yeesh.  Jurich was AD at Colorado State , before becoming AD at UL.  I highly doubt he would have had those perks in Fort Collins.

Speaking of Fort Collins.... I was there this past weekend.  Stopped for a bite to eat after attending the game in Laramie, Wyoming.  Have a couple of student friends at CSU. Asked for a quick place to eat.  Recommended Big Al's Burgers, in downtown Fort Collins.  And now I can recommend it to anyone visiting Colorado, perhaps to ski this winter.

Big Al's Burgers and Dogs | Home of the famous 60/40 Burger

HA. HA.  You know I am always going to turn a post of mine, into something about food, whenever I can.  LOL

20 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Little may be in for a shock. As I am hearing the NCAA is coming out with their decision on the UNC scandal...... next week.

Unfortunately, I believe this is the beginning of a long drawn out court proceeding followed by a long drawn out appeals process.  I imagine Little isn't worried about his brief stint at UNC. 

3 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Unfortunately, I believe this is the beginning of a long drawn out court proceeding followed by a long drawn out appeals process.  I imagine Little isn't worried about his brief stint at UNC. 

UNC has already burned $20 million in legal fees.  They are holding a multi-billion dollar fund raiser this weekend.  And there is no doubt in my mind, that what ever the NCAA comes up with in the form of punishments..... that UNC will continue the fight.... and continue spending on legal fees.

"Insider" friend of mine at UNC is thinking...... penalties just short of the death penalty.   Note..... this is his telling me. Just his speculation, based on what he is hearing.  

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

UNC has already burned $20 million in legal fees.  They are holding a multi-billion dollar fund raiser this weekend.  And there is no doubt in my mind, that what ever the NCAA comes up with in the form of punishments..... that UNC will continue the fight.... and continue spending on legal fees.

"Insider" friend of mine at UNC is thinking...... penalties just short of the death penalty.   Note..... this is his telling me. Just his speculation, based on what he is hearing.  

I'd be curious to know what penalty there is that is just short of the death penalty?

Also, the FBI does a 2 year investigation and there are no leaks.  How many people think there won't be any leaks before the NCAA announces their punishment to UNC?  Anybody?  Bueller?  Bueller?

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

The more things change, the more they stay the same. A kid named in a potential pay-for-play scandal commits to UNC two days before the NCAA is announcing punishment for UNC because of 20 years of fake classes for athletes. Nothing to see here. No reason for the kid to hold his commitment until after the NCAA announces any sanctions?!?!

The more I think about this, the more I think that there's a good chance very little will change after the dust settles.  I've seen the name Myron Piggie thrown around, so I decided to look into his story, of which I was previously unaware.

Is the current scandal all that different from his? Sure, it's bigger in scope because it involves Adidas, Power 5 assistants, and more money, but a scandal is a scandal.  They tend to fade out of the public's memory over time.  And in the end, cash rules.  Part of me thinks there's just too much money involved for wholesale changes to take hold.

16 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The more I think about this, the more I think that there's a good chance very little will change after the dust settles.  I've seen the name Myron Piggie thrown around, so I decided to look into his story, of which I was previously unaware.

Is the current scandal all that different from his? Sure, it's bigger in scope because it involves Adidas, Power 5 assistants, and more money, but a scandal is a scandal.  They tend to fade out of the public's memory over time.  And in the end, cash rules.  Part of me thinks there's just too much money involved for wholesale changes to take hold.

Piggie did the time instead of rolling. I'm not sure there are a whole lot of people who would think that way.

32 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'd be curious to know what penalty there is that is just short of the death penalty?

Also, the FBI does a 2 year investigation and there are no leaks.  How many people think there won't be any leaks before the NCAA announces their punishment to UNC?  Anybody?  Bueller?  Bueller?

That's a good question.  Loss of tv revenue ?  Loss of National titles ?  Loss of wins over a 20 years span ?  Loss of scholarships, like what IU got hit with ? Not able to play in the NCAA tournament, like UConn. ?  

I don't know.  Just seems like there are a lot of things the NCAA can attempt to do.... short of shutting the program down all together.  I think these are some of the things my UNC friend is thinking.

As far as leaks..... we saw how it worked at IU.  There were leaks about Sampsongate, when both IU and the NCAA, were not wanting that to come to pass. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

98% of the Adidas contract money went to Pitino !  That can't be true.  Can it ? 

Well technically, that doesn't include all of the under-the-table player payments.

I laughed when I read the AD defending the payment breakdown saying "well, players come to Louisville because of coach Pitino."

I'm waiting for the retraction and amendment..."well, players come to Louisville because of the large cash payments arranged by coach Pitino."

46 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

WOW! That significantly more than regarding punishment and cost. Make you wonder what the actual break-even dollar amount that UNC has for fighting the NCAA. 

2 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

WOW! That significantly more than regarding punishment and cost. Make you wonder what the actual break-even dollar amount that UNC has for fighting the NCAA. 

Yeah. At first it was reported as "JUST" $10 mill.  Then it was reported as $18 mill. :

Costs in UNC bogus class scandal now approaching $18 million | News & Observer

Now, my UNC "Insider" is saying the figure is closer to $20 mill.

37 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

What was the telling point with ole'Roy in that story...The booster, i think, who paid the cash, his son is now a walk on at UNC. I cant remember if the guy was a booster or not but who ever was involved at KU, his son is a walk on at UNC. Cheating Roy, the guy is a snake.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

You are right about Piggie.  However,  like you, I am not so sure there are that many Piggie's out there, today.

Tut, tut.  You're old enough to know that the Beatles instructed us that:

Everywhere there's lots of piggies living piggy lives.

You can see them out to dinner with their piggy wives.

Clutching forks and knives to eat their bacon.

5 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I think it's "Double Secret Probation" Delta Tau Chi was on in Animal House. 

Vitale tweeted yesterday that he spoke with a coach and basically said there will be some scary developments coming. I'm assuming he meant new schools, coaches,etc....I hope we can get rid of the bad all at once because the one thing the NCAA doesn't want is fan apathy. Meaning that we could care less who wins the title because everyone thinks the game or players are rigged. Hopefully we won't get to that point.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Vitale tweeted yesterday that he spoke with a coach and basically said there will be some scary developments coming. I'm assuming he meant new schools, coaches,etc....I hope we can get rid of the bad all at once because the one thing the NCAA doesn't want is fan apathy. Meaning that we could care less who wins the title because everyone thinks the game or players are rigged. Hopefully we won't get to that point.

Until the NCAA puts life time bans on cheating coaches, there will always be someone with deep pockets to give up the cash.

Archived