FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

When this thing comes to an end.  There are gonna be so many schools caught in it.  I alluded to Pitino earlier about his resume.  The guy has been dirty since his days of being an assistant coach at Hawaii, then he leaves there and becomes an assistant for guess who?  Boeheim at Syracuse.  Connect the dots.  Apples don't fall too far away from the tree.  

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think you need to look at a coach's behavior at schools who you suspect since the story has broke, and you get a good indication what coaches had their hands in the cookie jar. Roy has done nothing but deny, deny, and accept a recruit who has already been named in the indictments. Tells me all I need to know about Roy. Pure Arrogance.

Self I don't know a lot about but he has done the same thing, denial, and is still actively recruiting players who have been named in the scandal. Zion Williamson is still being actively recruited by Self, and he was named in this mess, and he will be one of the guests at Kansas version of "Hoosier Hysteria". I may be wrong but there was one more they are recruiting who was not mentioned, but a lot of smoke around him, and Kansas still going after him. It may have been Bol Bol, but not positive.

Look in the end, Louisville is one of Adidas flagship programs who was willing to do what ever it took. Kansas is another one of those teams, and he has not lacked for 5 star talent coming to the school, so Self being in the middle of this would not surprise me at all.

IU is one of Adidas flagship programs also, but I am convinced Crean ran as clean of an operation as possible. As much as he spoke out about recruiting, I just don't see him engaging in the behavior he was speaking out against, and he alluded to this many times when he lost recruits. I think it is one of the reasons recruiting started going down, he was just tired of the whole AAU-Shoe company monopoly running the 5 star players to where they wanted them to go if at all possible. I don't think from what we have learned that any behavior was out of bounds. From strippers to tailored suits to 150K and making sure you are taking players are taken care of. If I was Crean, I would have gotten very tired of it quickly. Pure slime.

One last thing I was thinking the other day was Calipari has left every school he coached at having to deal with repercussions of his actions, and having wins taken away. I would not be surprised if Kentucky, like Louisville has to take down a banner. You just don't have recruiting classes where every player is a concensus 5 star player. Additionally, it is a revolving door, 5 new players in one year, then 4/5 go into the draft, and are replaced by another 5 5 star players. This is exactly what the shoe companies are looking for. Kentucky is their model of a well oiled and perfect operation. The model starts with  getting these kids in the door, and once drafted trying to control them with shoe deals to promote Nike, go to their investment advisors, agents, etc. I believe they tell the kids, hey this $$$ is only the start once you sign to go to KY, and we have everything already laid out for you going forward. Nike see these kids only as an investment. Kentucky has been doing it so long, they just see it as the normal. I hope in the next two weeks, they are one of the schools who are told this is not normal. How many years does it take to see this is not natural, since KY is the only school who does it to this degree. Duke is close, but KY takes the ultimate prize here.

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Looks like some of the natives in Tucson are getting restless.  And a couple mentions of IU in this article, out of the desert :

Arizona Basketball Can’t Have Its Shining Moment - The Ringer

One note for clarification: this wasn't written by anyone out in Arizona - it's by Mark Titus, who was an Ohio State player (benchwarmer) mid-2000s. Grew up an IU fan, too.

Thanks Jim.  My bad. Titus... now I understand the IU mentions.  I was impressed with the grasp he had of the Az history, the background level of some of the other coaches, and even the mention of Jason Gardner.  Now I know why.... and thanks for pointing that out for me. 

I think one guy who's not getting enough attention here is K.  Within the last 5 years, he's turned Duke into a 5 star factory out of nowhere.  Of course, all we've heard has been constant praise about how the great Coach K was able to "adjust" to the new recruiting landscape.  Do any of us have any doubt now about what that "adjustment" entailed?  Given what's come out, it's pretty obvious K decided to start paying players.  I would love to see that sanctimonious douchebag get nailed to the wall.

15 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think one guy who's not getting enough attention here is K.  Within the last 5 years, he's turned Duke into a 5 star factory out of nowhere.  Of course, all we've heard has been constant praise about how the great Coach K was able to "adjust" to the new recruiting landscape.  Do any of us have any doubt now about what that "adjustment" entailed?  Given what's come out, it's pretty obvious K decided to start paying players.  I would love to see that sanctimonious douchebag get nailed to the wall.

North Carolina fans totally agree with this premise.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Looks like some of the natives in Tucson are getting restless.  And a couple mentions of IU in this article, out of the desert :

Arizona Basketball Can’t Have Its Shining Moment - The Ringer

Great read - thanks for sharing. I like that guy's writing style and humor.....20 years of blue balls! Hoosier fans can certainly relate!

40 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I am completely with you on this.  To be honest I have had the feeling about that program for years now.

3 hours ago, jimsorgi said:

One note for clarification: this wasn't written by anyone out in Arizona - it's by Mark Titus, who was an Ohio State player (benchwarmer) mid-2000s. Grew up an IU fan, too.

I'm a big fan of Titus. I'll have to read that article at some point. It will have to be after the football game and tailgate, though. 

If if you like his writing I'd check out his blog and book. He grew up an IU fan, grew early and was a good shooter. That got some attention and he joined an AAU team with Oden and Conley and eventually walked on at aOSU with them. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I remember the story a few years ago where a former player owed about $90k for jewelry from college. No one seemed to know how he got that much credit/down payment and the story just went away

With so much more still coming out, is there going to be a year that all Final Four teams will have their Final Four vacated?

Looking at 2012, the Final Four teams were Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio State, and Louisville.  I could reasonably see all of those schools being implicated. 2008 would also be in doubt with Kansas, Memphis (already vacated), UCLA, and UNC.  It will be interesting to see how far back they go with this.

At the end of the day, what are we left with in life?  Our integrity and character.  It’s not money.  The problem for a liar like Rick Pitino is, you can’t believe anything that comes out of his mouth.  So, when he says he didn’t know about the hookers, I simply do not believe him.  Here, in the FBI sting, he’s apparently coach 2.  And he’s trying to lie about it when the FBI has him.  To me, that reinforces his lying about Katrina Powell and hookergate.  

And frankly, I see Roy Williams and Pitino as two peas in a pod.  I mean, we are talking about *all in* on running a corrupt and crooked regime and then lying your rear end off about it.  Same concept with Roy as with Rick.  Spare me the lying playbook.  We’ve seen it. When you’ve compromised your integrity and character, there’s nothing left, which is how i started this post.  I see your championships as  phony baloney.  

3 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

I listen to Clay's show all the time. I love his honest take on everything!  He is definitely worth having on the dial. 

Good to know.  I was unfamiliar with Clay till I ran across his article, while surfing the net, today.  Gonna have to check it out, thanks to you.

https://sports.yahoo.com/top-recruits-address-college-basketball-scandal-unfortunate-crazy-205510012.html

"Little said UNC coach Roy Williams has insinuated to him that the Tar Heels won’t receive a significant punishment from the NCAA. He said that Williams has not told him of the specific punishment, but told him generally: “It’s not necessarily an athletic thing,” he said Williams told him. “It wasn’t just the basketball team involved in it. They’re not going to be penalized as people suggest.”"

Yet another reason I've come to absolutely detest Slimeball Roy Williams.

7 hours ago, rico said:

Ya beat me to the punch!!!!!!!  LOL  $30,000 down payment........hmmmmmmmmmm.

When I was a student in the mid/ late 70's, there were members of the men's basketball team driving around campus in brand new Vettes . 

Just sayin

Archived